or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reclassification?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

So in a friend of a friend deal I assisted with catering a 500 person company Christmas party.  Spent several hours outside cooking french fries.

 

 

I think the steam fogged my lens a bit. It wasn't bad, very glad it was a nice night and not a raging blizzard!

 

So does an evening of manning a fryer make me a professional chef now?

 

Actually I still don't have a job, hope the company uses me again in the next few weeks.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #2 of 17

We can name you Friturier. But not a Chef, sorry. Not yet.

Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 

Ha ha!

 

Seriously, I will never refer to myself as a chef. Had I stayed in the business since my restaurant days in the seventies, that would be different.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfat View Post
 Had I stayed in the business since my restaurant days in the seventies, that would be different.

 

You mean they actually had restaurants in the 70"s :eek:

 

Just kidding, my first job in a restaurant was washing dishes way back in 1974.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfat View Post
 

So in a friend of a friend deal I assisted with catering a 500 person company Christmas party.  Spent several hours outside cooking french fries.

 

 

I think the steam fogged my lens a bit. It wasn't bad, very glad it was a nice night and not a raging blizzard!

 

So does an evening of manning a fryer make me a professional chef now?

 

Actually I still don't have a job, hope the company uses me again in the next few weeks.

 

Sounds cool. I remember my first experience in the catering services in Brisbane. My friend and his team working in spits n pieces catering services in Gold coast were hired to cater a wedding. There were 100 people invited. One of the crew was absent that time so I volunteered to help since I've got nothing to do. I enjoyed thought the job was very tiring. It was just a sort of practice for my career. I'm planning to have my own restaurant in the future so I have to gain lots of experience. :) Yours is just a start. Keep your hopes up. :)

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflayne View Post
 

You mean they actually had restaurants in the 70"s :eek:

 

Just kidding, my first job in a restaurant was washing dishes way back in 1974.

 

Mine was busboy/dishwasher in 1973. Dee's Family Restaurant, on Main street and 4th South. Long gone, like The Winery which was the last place I worked. It was in Arrow Press Square next to The Dead Goat Saloon, which at the time was the best blues venue in the valley. Wish I had never lost track of my old knife.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #7 of 17

Mine was at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO; where Stephen King stayed and got his inspiration for "The Shining". I was a Rocky Mountain National Park park rat who took a job washing dishes in order to support his backpacking habit.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #8 of 17

I washed sausage making equipment in the basement of the Waldorf Astoria in NY when I was 16 years old.

post #9 of 17

My first job was in 1968 in Detroit.  I was a delivery guy for a carry out rib shack, but we all did prep.  Trim cases of ribs, pizza fixin's, cole slaw, chicken, fish, spaghetti, the whole nine yards.  I eventually moved into the kitchen full time and ran one of the stores a few years later.  I did that into my 20's then went to work in the machine/tool industry.  

post #10 of 17

I tossed pizza in the late 80's.  I was quite good too.     Guess I was a pizzareur?   heh.. 

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 

Too bad we don't all have pictures from back in those early days - those could be fun to look at.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #12 of 17


Chef Do you remember who the Exec was . Was it Eugene Scanlon, When I worked there it was George Blanc. they put me in the butcher shop 1958, on apprentice program from Union Local 6

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #13 of 17
You guys both worked at the Waldorf Astoria in NY?? Jealous. That must have been amazing.
What an awesome place I honeymooned there for a week would love to go back someday!
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefedb View Post
 


Chef Do you remember who the Exec was . Was it Eugene Scanlon, When I worked there it was George Blanc. they put me in the butcher shop 1958, on apprentice program from Union Local 6


I'm remembering 1969-1970-ish?

post #15 of 17

Waldorf Chefs, do any of you know of Chef John Santi? maybe a little earlier 60's. My mentor on the savory side.

FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
post #16 of 17


Chef Ross  The 60 s chef was Scanlon he came from being sous at the Fountainbleu in Miami about 1964. He was an Irishman who was self taught French.  He later became  F&B  manager  and consultant. He lived near me In Forest Hills Queens.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefedb View Post
 


Chef Ross  The 60 s chef was Scanlon he came from being sous at the Fountainbleu in Miami about 1964. He was an Irishman who was self taught French.  He later became  F&B  manager  and consultant. He lived near me In Forest Hills Queens.


Thanks....you lived in Forest Hills?  Wow......I was in Flushing Meadows on Utopia drive.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking