or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Pastries & Baking › Burger buns: Does anyone know this bun? / What's popular now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burger buns: Does anyone know this bun? / What's popular now

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I had a few burgers during my time in London, and all the pubs or restaurants seemed to be using a similar burger bun. It was very soft inside and the crust was very fragile, crumbly and flaky ... just holding the burger meant the crust would crumble and tear indentations where your fingers pressed down. 

 

Does anyone know what bun this may have been? Someone mentioned Brioche to me, but I made Brioche in Patisserie class and it had kind of a firm, bound, strong texture. Like it would be a little resistant to tearing, almost as if the crust had some kind of plastic coating for protection (of course it didn't, but you know what I mean).

 

Also, What would you say are the top 3 burger buns being used today? What country do you live in and what bun is popular there?

post #2 of 10

You might be thinking of kaiser rolls, however I'm from the states and have never visited England. A Pretzel roll is popular over here.

"Are you 5 o'clock ready?!" - My Chef
Reply
"Are you 5 o'clock ready?!" - My Chef
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Definitely wasn't a Kaiser roll...

 

I found a photo online that looks exactly like the bun

 

http://londoncocktailscholars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/chorizo-burger-london-cocktail-scholars.jpg

post #4 of 10

From the description and picture, I would say a potato bun.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #5 of 10
Dude... That IS a brioche bun!!!
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartface View Post

Dude... That IS a brioche bun!!!


I love brioche for hamburgers. Great bun We do them slider size for large parties at work all the time.

 

Just curious though as to how you would describe the characteristics of a brioche bun?

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #7 of 10


Looks like a brioche, but if it crumbles maybe they altered the formula a little, which could be done

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #8 of 10
A good Brioche burger bun must be mild-flavored, so as not to overwhelm any fillings, but it must not taste insipid either.  It must be soft enough to bite into easily, but must also be sturdy enough to stand up to the juciest burger.  Oh, and it should look pretty, too. 
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartface View Post
It must be soft enough to bite into easily, but must also be sturdy enough to stand up to the juciest burger. 

I agree but because of

Quote:

Originally Posted by createasaurus View Post

It was very soft inside and the crust was very fragile, crumbly and flaky ... just holding the burger meant the crust would crumble and tear indentations where your fingers pressed down. 

 

this, I didn't figure it to be brioche but possibly a potato bun because the starch of the potato dilutes the gluten forming proteins making for a lighter structured bun, hence the fragility and indentations from fingers

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflayne View Post
 

From the description and picture, I would say a potato bun.


I was thinking the same thing.  That is the only thing I can think.  Definitely not brioche at all. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflayne View Post
 


I love brioche for hamburgers. Great bun We do them slider size for large parties at work all the time.

 

Just curious though as to how you would describe the characteristics of a brioche bun?

 

That's what everyone is does in my city now, but it is getting kind of worn on me.  Brioche French toast breakfast sandwiches are my new love though! 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartface View Post

Dude... That IS a brioche bun!!!


That could a lot of things.  That looks like these Italian rolls that are hot in my city.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pastries & Baking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Pastries & Baking › Burger buns: Does anyone know this bun? / What's popular now