When you mentioned chickpeas, it reminded us of the veggie burger recipe we'd seen demonstrated by Five Napkin Burger chef Andy D'Amico (ex-Sign of the Dove) on the New York TV show "Good Day Cafe" in 2013
Andy D'Amico, executive chef of 5 Napkin Burger, prepared a veggie burger in the Good Day Cafe.
1 lb. Cremini Mushrooms, sliced ¼" thick
1 Tbs. olive oil
½ lb. zucchini, grated & squeezed dry
¼ lb. peeled carrots, grated
¼ lb. peeled beets, grated
½ cup cooked wheat berries
½ cup cooked lentils
1 cup cooked brown rice
6 Tbs. sunflower seeds
4 Tbs. chopped parsley
1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained well
2 Tbs. ketchup
1 Tbs. dry mustard
1 Tsp. smoked paprika
1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk, whipped to combine
¾ cup panko bread crumbs
2 tsp. salt + 1 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Toss mushrooms with oil, season with salt & pepper, spread out in one layer on a cookie sheet. Place in a pre-heated 350 degree oven & roast until nicely browned, cooked through and slightly dried out. About 10 - 12 minutes
2. Combine the zucchini, carrots, beets, wheat berries, brown rice, lentils, sunflower seeds & parsley in a stainless bowl mix well.
3. Combine mushrooms, chickpeas, mustard, ketchup & paprika in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to a medium-coarse puree.
4. Slowly add eggs to the chickpea mixture with the motor running until combined.
5. Fold chickpea mixture into the vegetables; add panko crumbs to bind, season with salt & pepper.
6. Form into 5 oz. patties, refrigerate.
Yields 8 – 5 oz. burgers