We are serious about getting the community to post reviews and we want you to jump in and help out. We are on a provided platform and we have to show our providers that we are an active community and one of the ways we do that is by the community contributing regular content other than just talk in the forums. As I mentioned in our ChefTalk.com 2015 Top Ten! everytime you:
- post a review
- post an article
- post a great photo
- tag a thread
You help keep ChefTalk going. We know it is not always a fun thing to post a review so we thought we would inspire everyone with marrying posting a review/s with helping people in need out. Meals on Wheels helps seniors stay on their own and avoid nursing homes. Post a review on ChefTalk and we are going to donate $2.00 to meals on wheels for each review posted. So why not help out the site you spend time at each day and help out some people in need in the process.
About Senior Hunger
- 9.3 million Americans over the age of 60 face the threat of hunger. That’s 1 in 6.
- Since the onset of the recession in 2007 until 2012, the number of seniors experiencing the threat of hunger has increased by 49%.
- 2.5 million seniors receive home-delivered or congregate meals via Meals on Wheels programs.
- Half a million veterans receive home-delivered or congregate meals via Meals on Wheels programs.
Source: Gunderson, Craig and Ziliak, James. "The State of Senior Hunger in America 2012: An Annual Report." National Foundation to End Senior Hunger, May, 2014. The full report can be found here.
Highest Rates of Senior Hunger
The ten states with the highest rates of hunger risk among seniors:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Source: Gunderson, Craig and Ziliak, James. "The State of Senior Hunger in America 2012: An Annual Report." National Foundation to End Senior Hunger, May, 2014. The full state list can be found here.
The Meals on Wheels Service
Among those receiving Meals on Wheels:
- 60% have 6-14 chronic health conditions
- 51% take 6-23 medications daily
- 29% have at least three limitations in activities such as bathing, getting dressed or going to the restroom
- 59% said that a single meal helps provide ½ or more of total food for the day
- 89% said the meals helps them feel better
- 91% said the meals enable them to live at home
According to the 2012 National Survey of Older Americans Act Program Participants conducted for the U.S. Administration on Aging:
- 92% of clients say Meals on Wheels means they can continue to live in their own home
- 89% say Meals on Wheels helps them feel better
- 89% say Meals on Wheels helps them feel more secure
- 88% rate Meals on Wheels service as good to excellent