or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Some Yelp Advice - Page 2

post #31 of 50
Did we all see the episode of kitchen nightmares from AZ where chef Gordon walks out!? Never answer yelpers! Never! Good or bad!
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacook415 View Post

Did we all see the episode of kitchen nightmares from AZ where chef Gordon walks out!? Never answer yelpers! Never! Good or bad!


R U talkin' about Amy's Bakery?  If so, that had nothing to do with answering Yelpers... that had everything to do with a maniacal/hormonal owner/chef who probably couldn't control her vitriol even when speaking with her mother.   :lol: 

post #33 of 50

"Michael Scelfo Publicly Lays the Smackdown on Entitled Alden & Harlow Non-Customers"... taking on yelp!

 

http://boston.eater.com/2015/2/28/8126023/michael-scelfo-publicly-lays-the-smackdown-on-entitled-alden-harlow#4162106

Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple

My Author Page

Reply

Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple

My Author Page

Reply
post #34 of 50
Do not read the reviews ! Are the people happy in your establishment , do your guest have smiles ? If you answer yes to both then forget them . I had a bad review because a server didn't bring this guy ketchup for his steak fast enough ! That's right ketchup for a steak lol
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble chef View Post

Do not read the reviews ! Are the people happy in your establishment , do your guest have smiles ? If you answer yes to both then forget them . I had a bad review because a server didn't bring this guy ketchup for his steak fast enough ! That's right ketchup for a steak lol

 

I can't agree with the " put your head in the sand" approach and hope all those bad reviews go away. Even if all you see in the dining room is smiling faces everyday, as many here have discussed, Yelpers are the worst reviewers around, and as such, need to be managed, which is the OP's point. And a valid one at that. Far too many look to Yelp to decide where to eat these days to ignore the opportunity to manage reviews, both good and bad.

post #36 of 50
We h
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodChef View Post

I can't agree with the " put your head in the sand" approach and hope all those bad reviews go away. Even if all you see in the dining room is smiling faces everyday, as many here have discussed, Yelpers are the worst reviewers around, and as such, need to be managed, which is the OP's point. And a valid one at that. Far too many look to Yelp to decide where to eat these days to ignore the opportunity to manage reviews, both good and bad.
we have difference of opinion and that's ok good day
post #37 of 50
I don't agree that yelpers are bad reviewers per se. Some are and some genuinely have feedback that may be uncomfortable to read. Learn and adapt or lose customers. Worst response as a restaurateur would be defensive and insulting, no matter how offensive and insulting som yelp reviews may be. If I sat with a hot steak waiting for some catchup while the meat is getting cold I'd be miffed too. So what if catchup on steak is disgusting; their money is green and you want it, right?
post #38 of 50
Humble Chef, if you read my post on this thread, you'll see I share the same opinion.

It's not that I have a "head in the sand" opinion and hope it will all go away, it's that I just don't give a flying f*ck, and I'd really love to strangle the yelper who wants my advertising dollar---not the yelper who writes a pathetic review, but the one who's trying to make a buck off of my back by using dip-wads like the pathetic yelper reviewers. It really stinks, and the stench smells a lot like blackmail.
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #39 of 50
Seems like yr talking about the scumbag reputation management consultants or yelp "corporate" than the yelp reviewers
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodpump View Post

Humble Chef, if you read my post on this thread, you'll see I share the same opinion.

It's not that I have a "head in the sand" opinion and hope it will all go away, it's that I just don't give a flying f*ck, and I'd really love to strangle the yelper who wants my advertising dollar---not the yelper who writes a pathetic review, but the one who's trying to make a buck off of my back by using dip-wads like the pathetic yelper reviewers. It really stinks, and the stench smells a lot like blackmail.
I love this guy
post #41 of 50
Six of 8 bad reviews come from people that work or are related to the restaurant next door! He blames us for his losing guest ! What a ass hat . Instead of blaming us fix your garbage food
post #42 of 50
That clearly is a problem and in violation of both the yelp TOS and the spirit of yelp. Blame the abusers who really deserve to be yanked by their collars until the become decent human beings.
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble chef View Post

Six of 8 bad reviews come from people that work or are related to the restaurant next door! He blames us for his losing guest ! What a ass hat . Instead of blaming us fix your garbage food

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

That clearly is a problem and in violation of both the yelp TOS and the spirit of yelp. Blame the abusers who really deserve to be yanked by their collars until the become decent human beings.
Agreed , my boss says and I agree that as long as they blame us for there down fall they will always follow, let us lead and concentrate on what we do and not get concerned over petty people ! People don't realize that restaurants located together help each other more then hurt . There are 8 places in a two block area were I'm working at and every one is thriving except them .
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

I don't agree that yelpers are bad reviewers per se. Some are and some genuinely have feedback that may be uncomfortable to read. Learn and adapt or lose customers. Worst response as a restaurateur would be defensive and insulting, no matter how offensive and insulting som yelp reviews may be. If I sat with a hot steak waiting for some catchup while the meat is getting cold I'd be miffed too. So what if catchup on steak is disgusting; their money is green and you want it, right?

 

Agreed. I didn't mean to paint all people with such a broad brush. We have mostly favorable Yelp reviews and even those that are critical are sometimes justified as we made this or that error in their meal along the way. It's those that give one star because their potato was cold that irk me, especially when they go on as to how the great the service was, and the steak was perfect, etc. Deduct 4 stars for the potato, really? We've been able to convert a couple of those unreasonable critics, however, with a positive acknowledgement, and to me at least, it's worth the effort to police them and engage in a positive manner to help keep my rating level high. I can't tell you how many new customers come in and mention how they saw the reviews on Yelp and that brought them here.

post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

I don't agree that yelpers are bad reviewers per se. Some are and some genuinely have feedback that may be uncomfortable to read. Learn and adapt or lose customers. Worst response as a restaurateur would be defensive and insulting, no matter how offensive and insulting som yelp reviews may be. If I sat with a hot steak waiting for some catchup while the meat is getting cold I'd be miffed too. So what if catchup on steak is disgusting; their money is green and you want it, right?
People that put ketchup on a steak or a hot dog should be shot !
post #46 of 50

So...ketchup on beef is okay, so long as it's ground beef. 

But it's not okay on steak. How about on ground steak? 

And ketchup is NOT okay on a hot dog, but is it okay on french fries

 served WITH the hot dog?

Just trying to keep it all straight. :) 

post #47 of 50
Hot dogs are beautiful, pristine, products. Like late August tomatoes, sea urchins, and line harpoon caught day boat fish. Any adulteration of their natural beauty is a crime against nature.
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMcPherson View Post

Hot dogs are beautiful, pristine, products. Like late August tomatoes, sea urchins, and line harpoon caught day boat fish. Any adulteration of their natural beauty is a crime against nature.

 

Well, I DO likes me some snappy skins!

post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMcPherson View Post

Hot dogs are beautiful, pristine, products. Like late August tomatoes, sea urchins, and line harpoon caught day boat fish. Any adulteration of their natural beauty is a crime against nature.

Ummmm..... Growing up in S'toon, Sask. I had opportunity as a cubscout to visit the local hot dog/snausage plant. The sight of those two guys in white hipwaders wielding s/s shovels is a memory I'm stilling trying to shake 40 years later.....
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #50 of 50
Foodpump, they were true artisans. Imagen their shame to have something as horrific as ketchup sullying their passion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Professional Chefs