Pilaf, Middle Eastern, Caucasian, Central and South Asian dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth. Traditionally prepared with lamb, we will prepare a variant using pork meat.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
300 gr Rice
240 gr Carrots
240 gr Meat (lamb or pork)
1 large Onion
90 ml Cooking oil
3 Garlic cloves
Ground black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Step by step instructions:
- Cut the onion in half-rings.
- Heat the oil in a pot (Kazan) and add the onion half-rings.
- Cut the meat in pieces like in the photo and add it to the pot as soon as the onion is soft.
- Cut the carrots into stripes.
- When the meat is roasted, add the carrots.
- When the carrots begin to soften, mix everything to make sure all carrots are covered in oil. Add salt and pepper. You should add slightly more salt then you would normally, because you will then add rice which will absorb part of that salt. Although you could add salt later, it is better to get it right during this step.
- Add rice to the pot without stirring.
- Cover then the rice with about two fingers of water.
- Pour the water slowly to avoid mixing.
- Put the garlic cloves in the water.
- When the water starts boiling, set your stove on gentle heat and cover the pot with its lid.
- After about 25-30 minutes the pilaf is ready. Remove the lid from the pot, remove the garlic cloves and mix thoroghly before plating.