I have an issue with trying to make sour hard candies. I'm using citric acid and I found a previous post that recommended cooling the sugar syrup by holding in a 250 F oven for 5-10 minutes to prevent discoloration and burning. This worked great!
However, I am still getting a slightly bitter taste to the candy and wonder if anyone knows why? Am I still burning the citric acid?. I don't usually temp the syrup after taking it out of the oven, so it could still be too warm. Is it just a function of citric acid and should I try using malic acid? Other suggestions?
Up front, the candy tastes great. But after a few minutes you start to get the bitter flavor. I've had several people taste test and they all taste a hint of bitter.