or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Muscovado Sugar

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Can anyone recommend a source for Dark brown Muscavado sugar other than Amazon?

post #2 of 26
Whole foods market
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 


Thanks Brian but there isn't a Whole Foods Market in my area. I went online to them but apparently you can only order online to pick up at a store.

post #4 of 26
You can always substitute American dark brown sugar with just a bit of additional molasses.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 

I have Demerara sugar I could substitute, but I really want the Muscavado  There is nothing quite like the taste of Muscavado :) I may have to break down and buy it from Amazon.

post #6 of 26
I've also substiuted with piloncillo if you can get that in your area. Grating it is a pain but the flavor is about right.
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 


I may be able to find that locally, there are quite a few Hispanic grocers.

post #8 of 26
Good luck. What are you making?
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 


I am making a Malt loaf - it's an English "thing" LOL - There is a brand called Soreen which I always used to buy (as did my mother when I was growing up). I can buy Soreen here in the specialty British store, but as I can usually eat the whole thing within a couple of hours I decided I had better make my own. Found a recipe online http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1411653/sticky-malt-loaves - hoping it tastes like the Soreen.

post #10 of 26
Looks yummy. So where you get your malt syrup - home beer making supplier?
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 

I got the Malt Extract on Amazon, came from Barry Farm. Amazon says Malt Syrup, but the container says Malt Extract. It tastes just like the malt extract I got in England. (Also my mum would make the three of us children have a teaspoon of malt extract every day - said it was good for us, I actually love the taste)

post #12 of 26

King Arther Flour...always a good place to find obscure stuff

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/organic-barley-malt-syrup-16-oz

 

 

Dean and deluca

http://www.deandeluca.com/pantry/baking-ingredients/dark-muscovado-sugar.aspx?ref_code=GoogleMerchant&kpid=106095&gclid=CI2QrLDlycUCFQgxaQod5owAFg

 

 

my very favorite place to shop in NYC has both your sugar and malt syrup ....kalustyans

http://www.kalustyans.com/default.asp

 

 

post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 


Thanks Canele, I already have the malt extract (guess they call it malt syrup over here). Thank you for the sources for the Muscovado, seems like Dean and Deluca are about the same price as Amazon for the Muscovado sugar. Kalustyan's was a little more expensive - but they do have a lot of interesting items. I am going to bookmark them.

post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaM View Post
 


Thanks Canele, I already have the malt extract (guess they call it malt syrup over here). Thank you for the sources for the Muscovado, seems like Dean and Deluca are about the same price as Amazon for the Muscovado sugar. Kalustyan's was a little more expensive - but they do have a lot of interesting items. I am going to bookmark them.

if you ever get to NYC..... kalstyans is a MUST!!! 

 

and...you may want to check out ebay.

post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 


Thanks Canele,  never thought of E-bay. Will check it out.  Sorry won't ever get to NYC. I don't travel well so I stay very close to home.

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaM View Post
 


Thanks Canele,  never thought of E-bay. Will check it out.  Sorry won't ever get to NYC. I don't travel well so I stay very close to home.

well.... hmmmm....

 

ever been to the The Spice & Tea Exchange? We found it in saint johns pass? near St pete. There are a few more in FL.  They have fun stuff too....   :)

post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 


Thanks so much Canele. St Pete is on the Gulf Coast - the other side of the state. I am on the Space Coast, Brevard county. Because of my limitations I do my shopping online. Bruce, my husband, does the grocery shopping. Once a year we go on a cruise out of Port Canaveral, it is 28.7 miles from Palm Bay (where we live). Even though it is only a short trip we have to take it in stages, otherwise I am a wreck by the time we get to the port. That is how limited I am to traveling.

I really appreciate your willingness to help by making the suggestions :)

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaM View Post
 


Thanks so much Canele. St Pete is on the Gulf Coast - the other side of the state. I am on the Space Coast, Brevard county. Because of my limitations I do my shopping online. Bruce, my husband, does the grocery shopping. Once a year we go on a cruise out of Port Canaveral, it is 28.7 miles from Palm Bay (where we live). Even though it is only a short trip we have to take it in stages, otherwise I am a wreck by the time we get to the port. That is how limited I am to traveling.

I really appreciate your willingness to help by making the suggestions :)


Im sorry you have such limitations.... but online can be a blast too! 

 

do you know https://www.penzeys.com/? ...another fun place for spices. A bit expensive but lots of fun. Believe it or not...ebay has quite a lot to offer in the foodie world.  Let us know who your malt loaf comes out :)

post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canele View Post
 


Im sorry you have such limitations.... but online can be a blast too! 

 

do you know https://www.penzeys.com/? ...another fun place for spices. A bit expensive but lots of fun. Believe it or not...ebay has quite a lot to offer in the foodie world.  Let us know who your malt loaf comes out :)

 
  @Canele I will check Penzey's out. I have bought spices from www.americanspice.com  I will certainly let you know how the malt loaf turns out. I am trying to figure out what the cakes in your profile pic are?

post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaM View Post
 

 
  @Canele I will check Penzey's out. I have bought spices from www.americanspice.com  I will certainly let you know how the malt loaf turns out. I am trying to figure out what the cakes in your profile pic are?

They are Canelés! :) => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canel%C3%A9

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaM View Post
 

 
  @Canele I will check Penzey's out. I have bought spices from www.americanspice.com  I will certainly let you know how the malt loaf turns out. I am trying to figure out what the cakes in your profile pic are?

 

 

the cakes in my profile....are of course... caneles  :)

post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canele View Post
 

 

 

the cakes in my profile....are of course... caneles  :)


@Canele - Hitting my head against wall! I should have known that! I have never made them but I saw a recipe for them a few months ago and was wanting to make them. But the molds are  expensive.

post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaM View Post
 


@Canele - Hitting my head against wall! I should have known that! I have never made them but I saw a recipe for them a few months ago and was wanting to make them. But the molds are  expensive.

 

lol.... :)

 

The individual copper molds are the preferred way to go as it gives the exterior a better texture. A bit darker and crisper so to speak...

 

 

but.... look into the silicone mold pans. They will do you just fine. Most large scale production of caneles are made in them now....for the very same reason you site. Cost.

 

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=11834&trng=fgle&gclid=CNahw5HD0cUCFQqEaQodnyQAYg#.VV0fhkam1Sk

post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canele View Post
 

 

lol.... :)

 

The individual copper molds are the preferred way to go as it gives the exterior a better texture. A bit darker and crisper so to speak...

 

 

but.... look into the silicone mold pans. They will do you just fine. Most large scale production of caneles are made in them now....for the very same reason you site. Cost.

 

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=11834&trng=fgle&gclid=CNahw5HD0cUCFQqEaQodnyQAYg#.VV0fhkam1Sk


@Canele - I saw the silicone molds on Amazon as well. I am a little "funny" when it comes to kitchen equipment, and prefer always to go with the best cookware and appliances. I have used silicone molds when making candy, but mostly use the polycarbonate molds. For the caneles I would love to get the Matfer Bourgeat - I have their Brioche molds and love them I use them to make Dan Tat.  - Oh, the malt loaves came out fine :)

post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaM View Post
 


@Canele - I saw the silicone molds on Amazon as well. I am a little "funny" when it comes to kitchen equipment, and prefer always to go with the best cookware and appliances. I have used silicone molds when making candy, but mostly use the polycarbonate molds. For the caneles I would love to get the Matfer Bourgeat - I have their Brioche molds and love them I use them to make Dan Tat.  - Oh, the malt loaves came out fine :)

yay on the malt loaves!!!!!

post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canele View Post
 

yay on the malt loaves!!!!!


:)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking