or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Expiry date of alcoholic drink after the bottle has been opened
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Expiry date of alcoholic drink after the bottle has been opened - Page 4

post #91 of 110

I will check with the  site administrator, but I hesitate to "shut down" this thread as it doesn't really violate any of the sites guidelines, nor has the conversation taken a really nasty turn.  Minus a few cheap shots this conversation has remained relatively civil.  I would hate to start a precedent of shutting down threads that have become annoying.  A better solution is just to ignore any further posts and let this thread die a natural death, IMHO.

 

As to the "ignore" feature, I will bring it up and see if that is something that the site/and the host does support.

post #92 of 110

Oh look, I answered an honest question with an honest answer.  Now someone is trying to get me stricken from this website.  That is so much better than talking it out.

 

I have backed up my statements with common sense and with NINE sources.  Four which say wine turns into vinegar and 5 which say hard alcohol looses proof to the extent that it is open.  I would not sell someone something as 40% alcohol if in fact it is less than 40% alcohol, but I have that sort of honest streak.  I do business honestly. How do you do business? By getting people banned from websites for speaking the truth?


Edited by Bob Hyneman - 6/10/15 at 10:00am
post #93 of 110

I don't believe anyone has suggested getting you banned, not has anyone suggested that they will be selling degraded liquor.

 

In your business, Bob, do you sell liquor that is only less than one month old?  Please be honest. I've given you the benefit of the doubt for a long time, read most of your posts, interacted with you on some... but still wonder what kind of "business" you have or had. And what more... getting very tired of your online style.  You might be a nice enough guy but your on-line persona tends to be annoying and credibility is an issue, amigo.

 

This will be my last post.  Saying too much more will likely get both of us banned.  :look:

post #94 of 110
Please dont shut this thread down, the sheer entertainment value is priceless, for everthing else there's mastercard. 😃
post #95 of 110

This is the OP's question:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh71 View Post
 

Is there such thing as "expired date" of alcoholic drink after the bottle has been opened?

 

Is this your final answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hyneman View Post
 

I am identifying only the truth.  I have not said that hard liquor, kept under normal conditions will turn to vinegar.  I have said that it will loose proof and therefore you will be selling your customer something he did not order.  Wine OTOH will turn to vinegar.  White wine does that even if capped, even if refrigerated.  Call me a troll or a zombie or a vampire or whatever you want.  The question was asked and I answered it correctly and accurately.  If you have no sources to back up your statement and need to result to name-calling perhaps you are wrong and I am correct.

 

There has been many attempts at closing this discussion yet you persist on getting the last word as typical for a troll/hijackers.

I am now giving you a way to rebuttal one last time after me.... (can't vouch for anybody else).

Is this your final answer?

 

Luc H.

I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
post #96 of 110
3 more questions.
What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the flight velocity of an unladen swollow?
post #97 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
 

I don't believe anyone has suggested getting you banned, not has anyone suggested that they will be selling degraded liquor.

 

In your business, Bob, do you sell liquor that is only less than one month old?  Please be honest. I've given you the benefit of the doubt for a long time, read most of your posts, interacted with you on some... but still wonder what kind of "business" you have or had. And what more... getting very tired of your online style.  You might be a nice enough guy but your on-line persona tends to be annoying and credibility is an issue, amigo.

 

This will be my last post.  Saying too much more will likely get both of us banned.  :look:

In my last bar work we used to label the dates when we opened the liquor (and liqueur) bottles.  I do not recall if the expiry date we used was 4 weeks or 6, but we used to literally give them away after that.  The staff loved it. It made a few of the regular customers happy too, and we never sold stuff we said we weren't selling. We sold what we said we were selling.  We cheated no one, and a good time was had by all. End. 

post #98 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hyneman View Post
 

I have backed up my statements with common sense and with NINE sources. 

 

 

Is your number one priority being right?

 

 

 

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #99 of 110

Thank you @BrianShaw and @Pete an ignore button is a much better suggestion indeed as at the time I could not think of a more sane or polite way of staying on thread and have it remain a more non-fictional argument or conversation....lol

 

Thank you @Luc_H for your incredibly knowledgeable information and patience to teach! 

 

I would never wish to take away anyone's entertainment on the matter as it is indeed, at times, both entertaining and cringe-worthy :peace:

post #100 of 110

"entertaining and cringe-worthy :peace:"  

I have been called each.  I deny neither.


Edited by Bob Hyneman - 6/10/15 at 1:20pm
post #101 of 110
Finally, we agree 😝
post #102 of 110

Like

post #103 of 110

So, in closing, may I ask the OP, Josh71... do you get the answer to your question?

post #104 of 110

The Ignore feature is called Block Member. Mouse over the member's name in the post. Block Member is in the drop down list. Or go to the user's profile you want to block.  In the column of buttons on the left is a Block Member button. Click it. Be Happy. 

Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
post #105 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh71 View Post
 

Is there such thing as "expired date" of alcoholic drink after the bottle has been opened?...But, again, that was quite long time ago, almost 5 years, and since then I have never touched it.

 

I store them in dry cool cupboard without any kind of special or whatnot, just let them stand there :)...Use it for making sauce is ok.

 

Thanks.

They should be fine for making sauce, even if they have turned into vinegar or whatever (a big if because I don't wish to lend any credence to the premise that they have) they can still be used for cooking. Vinegar is definitely one of the weapons in my culinary arsenal. The flavor profile, proof, and etc. will probably be different than it was 5 years ago, but then heat when cooking will also alter the aforementioned characteristics. Green tomatoes are quite different from red ripe tomatoes (is one right and one wrong or bad) but both can have their place in cuisine with spectacular results.

 

For cooking, they should be fine and useful.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #106 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatch View Post
 

The Ignore feature is called Block Member. Mouse over the member's name in the post. Block Member is in the drop down list. Or go to the user's profile you want to block.  In the column of buttons on the left is a Block Member button. Click it. Be Happy. 

I'm happy. 

 

Thanks. 

 

Unfortunately, they still show up if I don't log in. 

 

Oh well. 

post #107 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

...As to the "ignore" feature, I will bring it up and see if that is something that the site/and the host does support.

Only because you brought the topic up....  The "ignore" feature works, however, emails are received from all when participating/subscribed to a thread. Disabling emails was the only way I could remedy the feature on my end.

post #108 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflayne View Post
 

They should be fine for making sauce, even if they have turned into vinegar or whatever (a big if because I don't wish to lend any credence to the premise that they have) they can still be used for cooking. Vinegar is definitely one of the weapons in my culinary arsenal. The flavor profile, proof, and etc. will probably be different than it was 5 years ago, but then heat when cooking will also alter the aforementioned characteristics. Green tomatoes are quite different from red ripe tomatoes (is one right and one wrong or bad) but both can have their place in cuisine with spectacular results.

 

For cooking, they should be fine and useful.


Great reply! concise and to the point with a one sentence conclusion to sum up the complete answer to the OP's question.

I concur with that answer.

 

Luc H.

I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
I eat science everyday, do you?
Reply
post #109 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

...As to the "ignore" feature, I will bring it up and see if that is something that the site/and the host does support.

Only because you brought the topic up....  The "ignore" feature works, however, emails are received from all when participating/subscribed to a thread. Disabling emails was the only way I could remedy the feature on my end.

I've turned off all the emails. It's way too much noise in my inbox. 

Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
post #110 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
 

So, in closing, may I ask the OP, Josh71... do you get the answer to your question?

 

Yes, I have :)

 

Really thanks to all the feedback.

 

I am not worried with expiry date on alcoholic drinks!

 

Note that I added my observation regarding the pastis bottle that I have. After so many years, I can still feel the strong alcohol in it.

Of course, this is not scientific, but the thing is, as I said above, because of the feedback on this thread, I won't throw away my alcoholic bottles which I stored for few years!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Expiry date of alcoholic drink after the bottle has been opened