or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Who Will This Benefit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who Will This Benefit?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/16/health/fda-trans-fat/

Altho I did not research this further I expect the cost of all the formula changes and price of switching to more expensive ingredients to be passed along to the American consumer.
We are all feeling the pinch at the grocery checkout.....what next?

What about imports?
Will trans-fat loaded foodstuffs from other countries be seized and held by customs?

Altho I agree with the sentiment it is just another example of government overreach.

IMO.

mimi
post #2 of 22

I'm surprised by your reaction. Do you think the government should make choices based on food cost, and imports and customs etc...? Or should it make choices based on public health? IMO the latter. If trans-fat are bad for you, don't you agree they should be banned? But ok I realize this may fall into the category of political discussions that are not allowed on this forum. This discussion would be better suited for talking it out over a good cup of coffee...

 

Now unfortunately, even setting that discussion aside, things are not that simple, and the sentiment behind the FDA decisions is not pure. The government does not make choices based on public health. It does not make choices based on the cost for the consumer. It makes decisions based on its own self-interests and the self-interests of the giant food producers who finance the government. 

 

As for "who does it benefit", I suppose the answer is the producers of interesterified fat. See: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/86273/fda-just-banned-trans-fat


Edited by French Fries - 6/18/15 at 11:09am
post #3 of 22
The costs to the consumer already exist in the form of medical expenses. If eating better healthier food can prevent disease then this will be be better not only for our physical health but out economic health as well. Either way you look at it, we're the ones paying for it so it may as well be a step towards our collective health as a nation.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
I try to stay as ignorant of issues as I can while on vacation.
Well at least my question was answered.

mimi
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Whoa!
I am all for Americans having clean and clear arteries!
Reading product nutrition labels is what slows me down when food shopping!
Actually feel fortunate that I can afford to purchase healthy whole foods to stock my pantry and feed my family.

My question was more directed at the further crushing regulations being piled upon American manufacturers while the imports will be given a wink and a nod and allowed free reign of our grocery store shelves.

Have a strange suspicion that this regulation will be repealed well before 3 years have passed.
Prolly not far into the year 2017.

mimi
post #6 of 22

Ah, i see…. The fact that industry found a cheaper, but poisonous alternative to natural ingredients like butter and lard doesn't really bother you at all.  And you're a BAKER?  Evidently,what really matters to you is what fox news tells you is important. People are too stupid to even know their own best interests these days and are soooo happy to show everyone how poorly they think. Congratulations!

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin View Post

Ah, i see…. The fact that industry found a cheaper, but poisonous alternative to natural ingredients like butter and lard doesn't really bother you at all.  And you're a BAKER?  Evidently,what really matters to you is what fox news tells you is important. People are too stupid to even know their own best interests these days and are soooo happy to show everyone how poorly they think. Congratulations!

Sweetie I think you need to re read my posts and be careful who you call stupid.
Yes this is an open public forum but I think you have just stepped over the boundaries of what is acceptable language.

mimi
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin View Post
 

Ah, i see…. The fact that industry found a cheaper, but poisonous alternative to natural ingredients like butter and lard doesn't really bother you at all.  And you're a BAKER?  Evidently,what really matters to you is what fox news tells you is important. People are too stupid to even know their own best interests these days and are soooo happy to show everyone how poorly they think. Congratulations!

um? What? I think it's jumping way over the boundary.

 

Do these quotes sound familiar?

"I also like to start the additions to the finished roux with a little american cheese because of the unique emulsifiers that come within the product"

"It was rather good, but our real treat was the "cracklings" from the bottom of the fry basket "

Yum.

 

Crap, you slammed Fox news. Now I'm going to have to seriously start rethinking my political position.

 

 

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.” :talk:
― Maurice Switzer

FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
post #9 of 22

As far a processed food is concerned, I would think that trans-fat is just the tip of the iceberg.

 

What's next?

post #10 of 22

Sadly,our governments previous attempt to force people to eat right have all been a failure.

 

The laws are based on emotion and fear rather than science---

I remember well the egg scare--then milk is bad--butter will kill

on it goes---if heath laws were backed by good science I might be more receptive--

post #11 of 22

Chef Ross,  I agree with you 100%. This is only tip of iceberg. The other things that are allowed in our foods are  even worse. The uninspected imports from  many countries, in particular China  is unbelievable. Only 20% of all fish and seafood that was imported into the US last year was inspected.

   The lobbyist own Washington and get  anything they want. For any law or bill that may help the consumer that is passed  there is a way around it or another law attached to it that is just as bad. How many here are aware that the government does not even have inspectors in meat plants anymore. There used to be an inspector in every USDA plant now there is none. The plants are on a supposed self inspection(give me a break) Has anyone ever met a poor butcher or packing house owner?  Let the buyer beware is the motto and it is more true today then ever before. How many times have you read that a plant has a recall of meat? ask yourself is this not after the fact as the meat has already been distributed to the public. Anyone who puts and trust in anything our government does when it comes to food inspection should take a dose of reality, because it is  totally ineffective. Tyson for example,  as well as Smithfield tell our government what to do.

CHEFED
Reply
CHEFED
Reply
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Addition.... d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeswoods View Post

Sadly,our governments previous attempt to force people to eat right have all been a failure.

The laws are based on emotion and fear rather than science---
I remember well the egg scare--then milk is bad--butter will kill
on it goes---if heath laws were backed by good science I might be more receptive--

Then we get the science ( or lack of) behind margarine and find that we were eating plastic lol.
Never liked the stuff have eaten butter only my entire life.

mimi
Edited by flipflopgirl - 6/19/15 at 8:50am
post #13 of 22


Canada has banned hydrogenated fats successfully without so much as a wimper.  Actually many provinces had a volunatary ban years before the official ban.  But Canada is a bit different, like most other first world nations we have a national heath plan, and no one likes to pay for their neighbor's hospital bill if he's smoking two-packs-a-day infront of his family or co-workers. 

 

Hydrogenated fats are used mainly for one thing: Shelf life.  It dramatically increases the shelf life.  And  I have to agree with Chefed's comment about lobbyists.  Lets look at two sacred cows and what the lobbyists have done to them:

Chocolate.  According to the US standards, Bittersweet, semi sweet or dark chocolate must contain a minimum of 35% cocoa, no caveat on additives.  Euro standards are much higher with a strict caveat that includes ANY dairy and any foreign fats.  Milk chocolate must contain a minimum of 15% cocoa, and sweet chocolate -that dreck--, a minimum of 10% cocoa.  Wonder who paid the lobbyists for that one?

 

School lunch program.  Somehow lobbyists convinced your Senate that a portion of French fries is equal to a serving of vegetables, and that a portion of pizza is equal to a serving of fresh fruit (hint, tomato sauce...)  Milk used to be unadulterated 2%, and is now sweetened and flavoured.

 

A pox on the lobbyists.......

 

 

And while Mikeswoods has a valid point about Gov't not  making people eat better, I have to point out two non-food cases:

 

-Tobacco. 50 and even 40 years ago even the medical community smoked, and the tobacco producers refused to acknowledge that their products killed people.    Q:  Who took them (tobacco producers) down?

 

-Cars.  50 years ago the "big 3"would rather sell buggy whips than put in seatbelts or in their cars.  Said it made the driver "feel like he was driving a steel coffin".  Q: Who made the big 3 install seatbelts?  And deva-vu all over again with unleaded gas, big three figured it was cheaper to argue against unleaded gas in the courts than it was to actually make cleaner engines.  Deva-vu all over again with fuel efficiency a few years later again. 

 

There is no doubt that all first world nations are getting more obese.  However you can't do anything about it if you won't acknowledge it first.

...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #14 of 22

I agree with most have said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeswoods View Post
 

Sadly,our governments previous attempt to force people to eat right have all been a failure.

 

The laws are based on emotion and fear rather than science---

I remember well the egg scare--then milk is bad--butter will kill

on it goes---if heath laws were backed by good science I might be more receptive--

Mike, there is good science behind proposed health laws but health laws are backed by money.

 

Lobbying records analyzed by Reuters reveal that the industries more than doubled their spending in Washington during the past three years. In the process, they largely dominated policymaking -- pledging voluntary action while defeating government proposals aimed at changing the nation's diet, dozens of interviews show.

In contrast, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, widely regarded as the lead lobbying force for healthier food, spent about $70,000 lobbying last year -- roughly what those opposing the stricter guidelines spent every 13 hours, that's something like almost 4 million a month opposing the science compared to approx  5 thousand for it. Not gonna happen.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED BUCHANAN View Post
 

Chef Ross,  I agree with you 100%. This is only tip of iceberg. The other things that are allowed in our foods are  even worse. The uninspected imports from  many countries, in particular China  is unbelievable. Only 20% of all fish and seafood that was imported into the US last year was inspected.

   The lobbyist own Washington and get  anything they want. For any law or bill that may help the consumer that is passed  there is a way around it or another law attached to it that is just as bad. How many here are aware that the government does not even have inspectors in meat plants anymore. There used to be an inspector in every USDA plant now there is none. The plants are on a supposed self inspection(give me a break) Has anyone ever met a poor butcher or packing house owner?  Let the buyer beware is the motto and it is more true today then ever before. How many times have you read that a plant has a recall of meat? ask yourself is this not after the fact as the meat has already been distributed to the public. Anyone who puts and trust in anything our government does when it comes to food inspection should take a dose of reality, because it is  totally ineffective. Tyson for example,  as well as Smithfield tell our government what to do.

This is exactly what happens when you let industry be responsible for self imposed inspection, guidelines and regulations.

 

On July 12, White House visitor logs show a who's who of food company chief executives and lobbyists visited the White House. The group met with Valerie Jarrett, Obama's senior adviser, and Melody Barnes, then director of the president's Domestic Policy Council. Among the group at the meeting: CEOs of Nestle USA, Kellogg, General Mills, and top executives at Walt Disney, Time Warner, and Viacom, owner of the Nickelodeon children's channel -- companies with some of the biggest financial stakes in marketing to children. Those companies have a combined market value of more than $350 billion.

Two people who attended -- lobbyist Scott Faber of the Grocery Manufacturers Association and Kolish of the Better Business Bureau -- said the group told the White House that it opposed government action and favored voluntary initiatives

 

Public health officials thought the least nutritional items would drop off the government's $10.5 billion school lunch program last year when they announced the first menu overhaul in 15 years. White bread: gone. Milk: low or no fat only. Fruits and vegetables: doubled. Portions: smaller.Then Congress got involved -- at the behest of potato and pizza companies -- to preserve French fries as a menu staple and to declare pizza, with its tomato sauce, to be a vegetable.

 

Ok, I'll stop. I agree this regulation will be appealed. Not saying I'm for appealing at all.

FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopgirl View Post


Sweetie I think you need to re read my posts and be careful who you call stupid.
Yes this is an open public forum but I think you have just stepped over the boundaries of what is acceptable language.

mimi

Although I totally agree the response was uncalled for and over the top, you did open the door to politics by calling this "government overreach" and "... further crushing regulations being piled upon American manufacturers while the imports will be given a wink and a nod and allowed free reign of our grocery store shelves."  All buzzwords used by the conservative free market xenophobic right wingers. It reeks of political ideology. Sorry. 

 

But in answering your question, I think the entirely of the american public will benefit. It's been proven that trans fats are bad. No debate there, right? Big Food Business will cry and scream bloody foul because of government regulations affecting their bottom line.  Also, how exactly will imports be given free reign? Do they in fact have trans fats just like american products? I would hope they do get seized but corporate america already made it clear that they do not want more inspections of imported raw materials and finished products at our ports. WalMart voted to NOT add $75 per container for inspection - either for explosives or other radioactive materials with possible terrorist connections, and the rest of corporate america followed suit. $75 was simply too much money and the loss of profits was placed before our national security. 

 

Most of the rest of the world has stricter regulations as far as food and drugs go, so shouldn't american food producers and manufacturers abide by those regulations if they want to compete in the global marketplace? After all, the US market is just as much a market place as is the EU, Asia, and South America. As far as government overreach - do we want limited or no regulations in the food industry so that cardboard is served in soups like it is in China? Toxic chemicals in toothpaste? An appropriate balance must be struck between the economy and public health without stifling business. 

 

I think it's a good thing because most of the american public just accepts what is given to them by corporate america and somehow expects big agribusiness and big pharma to police themselves. We already know how that ends because public health or service to the community always takes a back seat to profits. 

post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
IDK.....
Maybe because the Constitution gives everyone the right to eat what we want despite the published dangers?
I see this "feel good" regulation being followed up by one that makes it illegal to eat saturated fat in the form of pork.
Or drink alcoholic beverages.
Maybe taking the guns from our hands.
It always starts small ya know.

mimi
Edited by flipflopgirl - 6/19/15 at 8:14pm
post #17 of 22

I dunno.... Last summer I found a 3-pack of grape flavoured cigarillos (tobacco product) under my 14 yr old's bed.  I took me a long time to explain my anger (and sometimes I still don't think I got through to him...) that I wasn't necessarily angry at him, but angry beyond words at the tobacco producer, distributor, and advertiser for making grape flavoured ( I hear they come in Wild cherry and tangerine too...) cigars.

 

Is there anyone in the world who can honestly say that the decisions and choices they make won't affect others?

...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
redundant
Edited by flipflopgirl - 6/19/15 at 8:16pm
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodpump View Post

I dunno.... Last summer I found a 3-pack of grape flavoured cigarillos (tobacco product) under my 14 yr old's bed.  I took me a long time to explain my anger (and sometimes I still don't think I got through to him...) that I wasn't necessarily angry at him, but angry beyond words at the tobacco producer, distributor, and advertiser for making grape flavoured ( I hear they come in Wild cherry and tangerine too...) cigars.

Is there anyone in the world who can honestly say that the decisions and choices they make won't affect others?

The butterfly effect......

mimi
post #20 of 22


Panini  !

You and I are a bit older so we can compare and see how the government works both yesterday and today. They will do anything for the almighty buck. Donate to a Senator or rep. and you get FAVORS.

 

I maintain government should be for the people not for the corporate giants, and big money. I think the present system and government should be abolished and start all over.  Our constitution says that elected officials should  not be entitled to anything that the average citizen is not. This is a joke as they do not pay back student loans, nor pay into social security (they have there own retirement plan and medical which is far better then SS) Retire with pension for life after 1 year of service. What we need is sort of a drastic change . Better yet if everyone refused to pay taxes then what would  they do? I have found the  only way to change anything is thru the pocket. I feel sorry for this and future generations. Luckily I have lived my life and although sometimes difficult better then what I see of the future direction this great country is going. EJB

PS Not only Pizza & Tomato sauce but Catsup is considered a vegetable with the Hi Fructose corn syrup in it as well.

CHEFED
Reply
CHEFED
Reply
post #21 of 22

@foodpump

Not trying to alarm or insinuate anything. Most of those flavored cigars aren't for smoking tobacco.

Should be able to google flavored blunt. 

FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED BUCHANAN View Post
 


Panini  !

You and I are a bit older so we can compare and see how the government works both yesterday and today. They will do anything for the almighty buck. Donate to a Senator or rep. and you get FAVORS.

 

I maintain government should be for the people not for the corporate giants, and big money. I think the present system and government should be abolished and start all over.  Our constitution says that elected officials should  not be entitled to anything that the average citizen is not. This is a joke as they do not pay back student loans, nor pay into social security (they have there own retirement plan and medical which is far better then SS) Retire with pension for life after 1 year of service. What we need is sort of a drastic change . Better yet if everyone refused to pay taxes then what would  they do? I have found the  only way to change anything is thru the pocket. I feel sorry for this and future generations. Luckily I have lived my life and although sometimes difficult better then what I see of the future direction this great country is going. EJB

PS Not only Pizza & Tomato sauce but Catsup is considered a vegetable with the Hi Fructose corn syrup in it as well.

I suspect I am old enough as well, but it should be noted that the US brand of democracy (and most, I might add) as well as capitalism have inherent flaws. Especially when you combine the two. It has been a struggle through US history to interpret it with whatever advances modern man has made in the last 200 years, and we as a society fail to recognize that fact.

 

So far, the constitution is treated as though it were written by god and any amendments to it are highly improbable and very difficult to push through. I'll bet if you ask those that drafted it to imagine the world we live in today they would probably revise it. Although much of it was in response to the oppressive history in Europe, many of the philosophical tenants were as well even though they hold true today. I don't believe 'community' was ignored, but it seems individualism has trampled over respect and responsibility to our neighbors.  

 

Anyway. More of my two cents. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Who Will This Benefit?