or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Knife Reviews › looking for vendors in Miami area
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

looking for vendors in Miami area

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Any chefs here in South Eastern Florida that know of any Japanese knife dealers. Im not looking for a miyabi or shun that can be found in stores. Or if you bought them online, which online vendor do you recommend?

post #2 of 13

There are a number of online vendors with free or cheap shipping.

 

Depends on what you're looking for.

 

http://japanesenknifeimports.com

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/

http://korin.com/site/home.html  (doesn't have free shippng, but I find their industry discount basically offsets shipping)

 

Anyway if you give us more info about what you're looking for, I have more specific recommendations

 

For starters

-what kind of knife are you looking for?  Chefs, petty, slicer, etc,  and what length?

-price range?

-stainless or carbon?

-Left or right handed?

-western or japanese handle?

 

Also what are you doing about sharpening?

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsKnives View Post
 

There are a number of online vendors with free or cheap shipping.

 

Depends on what you're looking for.

 

http://japanesenknifeimports.com

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/

http://korin.com/site/home.html  (doesn't have free shippng, but I find their industry discount basically offsets shipping)

 

Anyway if you give us more info about what you're looking for, I have more specific recommendations

 

For starters

-what kind of knife are you looking for?  Chefs, petty, slicer, etc,  and what length?

-price range?

-stainless or carbon?

-Left or right handed?

-western or japanese handle?

 

Also what are you doing about sharpening?

And those are reputable ?

 

Im looking for a 10 inch chefs

200$to 350$

carbon

japanese handle right handed

 

i would like it to come sharpened out of the box, if not ill have it professionally done, i dont trust myself with sharpening it with a whetstone at the moment. I need to practice on one of my cheaper knives first.

post #4 of 13
I've had good experiences with all of them or I wouldn't recommend.

I think for what you're looking for,BTW what I shop for a lot too, you won't find much at korin. A fine retailer bit they do a lot of western handled stainless except for their traditional single bevel knives.

The JNS lines I like a lot. they are all on the heavier side not lasers. Itinomonn I have personally and you can read my review. Kato workhorse is out of your budget. They have another line with very good reviews http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/toyama-noborikoi-kasumi-gyuto-240mm/

Also in the same vein, wakui over at bernal cutlery. They only offer stainlesa clad carbon now but a few weeks ago their carbon line was a great deal at $214 for the 240mm. Rumored the maker formerly was doing itinomonn line and they do look similar.

Kochi at JKI is also really good. The stainless clad are all out of stock, they go fast, but carbon is around. I have suji from this one it's one of my favorites. JKI also has lasers in gesshin ginga. A few others might interest you. I highly recommend calling Jon about his inventory. Also he'll sharpen before sending out if you ask. You won't find many better sharpeners. His YouTube playlist is a great resource
post #5 of 13
Also in this price range you could buy a Watanabe pro direct from Watanabe! Take advantage of the good exchange rate now http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/pro.htm
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsKnives View Post

I've had good experiences with all of them or I wouldn't recommend.

I think for what you're looking for,BTW what I shop for a lot too, you won't find much at korin. A fine retailer bit they do a lot of western handled stainless except for their traditional single bevel knives.

The JNS lines I like a lot. they are all on the heavier side not lasers. Itinomonn I have personally and you can read my review. Kato workhorse is out of your budget. They have another line with very good reviews http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/toyama-noborikoi-kasumi-gyuto-240mm/

Also in the same vein, wakui over at bernal cutlery. They only offer stainlesa clad carbon now but a few weeks ago their carbon line was a great deal at $214 for the 240mm. Rumored the maker formerly was doing itinomonn line and they do look similar.

Kochi at JKI is also really good. The stainless clad are all out of stock, they go fast, but carbon is around. I have suji from this one it's one of my favorites. JKI also has lasers in gesshin ginga. A few others might interest you. I highly recommend calling Jon about his inventory. Also he'll sharpen before sending out if you ask. You won't find many better sharpeners. His YouTube playlist is a great resource

thanks for the help, and whos jon??

 

also, before this i had my mind set on a takeda hamono , have you heard of this brand?

post #7 of 13
Jon broida at japanese knife imports.

Takedas vary. Later ones have very sharp shoulders. Still very thin and good cutters but could definitely benefit from a regrind. I moved away from laser thin knives in favor of more convexed ones for food release. I still have all kinds though and lasers certainly excel at some tasks
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsKnives View Post

Jon broida at japanese knife imports.

Takedas vary. Later ones have very sharp shoulders. Still very thin and good cutters but could definitely benefit from a regrind. I moved away from laser thin knives in favor of more convexed ones for food release. I still have all kinds though and lasers certainly excel at some tasks

when i looked into them it said they were supposed to have excellent food release.

 

What do you recommend? and what are lasers not good for?

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

actually, i was just looking at the kochis, im pretty convinced by those

post #10 of 13
Lasers work for everything. Their downsides are food release because they're so flat, and edge retention because there's not much metal behind it. You can get a really thin knife at the edge, but with some heft behind it and convexed for food release, and that's the kind I really like best. As long as the part immediately behind the edge is thin you'll get good performance. My next knife will be watanabe or kochi. For now, I'm happy with my kit.

Oh and I like my knives tall! Maybe that's one thing that drew you to Takeda, they're real tall. Kochi is one of the taller ones too. My Itinomonn 240 is 57mm tall at the heel, lots of knuckle clearance.
post #11 of 13

This is what I was talking about with the Takeda grind btw

 

https://www.facebook.com/JapaneseKnifeSharpening/posts/1137874699561945

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsKnives View Post
 

This is what I was talking about with the Takeda grind btw

 

https://www.facebook.com/JapaneseKnifeSharpening/posts/1137874699561945

oh ok, i see what you mean. and yeah i would prefer tall knives. I think thats one thing that draws me in.

post #13 of 13

Freddy12712, Culinary Convenience on Andrews in Fort Lauderdale have a pretty good selection on the floor you can go hands on with, nice folks too! (FTR no affiliation) 

         
          Culinary Convenience
  • Address: 2212 S Andrews Ave #1, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
  • Phone:(954) 525-0011

"Ars Est Celare Artem"

 

True art, is to conceal art......

 

https://www.instagram.com/smokehouse_84/

Reply

"Ars Est Celare Artem"

 

True art, is to conceal art......

 

https://www.instagram.com/smokehouse_84/

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooking Knife Reviews
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Knife Reviews › looking for vendors in Miami area