or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eat more pizza

post #1 of 114
Thread Starter 
Making pizza from scratch is reaching for me but doesn't seam hard. I more of a buy pizza frozen or at costco. The price of pizzeria pizza has gotten out of control, $18+ for a regular pie, ugh. Costco, walmart and Digiorno ard good alternatives and when you get pack of 3 Digiorno for $13 at BJs or walmart brand $7 even costco for $10 they will remain my choice pizzas. I found these don't seem olive oil based sauce so I drizzle some good olive oil over the pie before backing and it reallg wakes up the flavor. Anyone else had enough of pizzeria prices
post #2 of 114

Most of the pizza I eat, I make. I've not sat to eat in a dedicated pizza joint in a long time. I'll do take and bake from Papa Murphy's every few years. I eat some Costco pizza at friends when they supply it. I've bought a few Costco pizzas when my evening collapsed unexpectedly. 

 

Most of the this commercial stuff is just OK at best. It's worth making your own. 

Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
post #3 of 114
My "go-to" bar pizza is what I call "Cracker Crust Margarita".

I start w/ simple flatbreads @ +/- .99¢ for a pack of 8. Throw on a spoon of pesto and smear it around. What is that ... .10¢? Slice up a plum tomato, .30¢. 3 slices of mozz or provolone .35¢. Sprinkle of oil and pinch of basil, .10¢ ... 5-minutes in 500* oven ... VOILA! Good cheap eats. < $1.00.

I'm making another big hit pizza this afternoon. Same flatbreads. Sliced and sauteed pears and vidalias. Pan toasted pecans. Crumbled blue cheese, Sprinkle of thyme and a drizzle of oil. 500* oven for 5-minutes. < $2.00.
post #4 of 114
The pizza I make at home is more expensive than what I buy at a restaurant or at Costco. I use mostly organic high quality ingredients. Living in NY there are great pizza places and we indulge in them too. Im not much of a penny pincher when it comes to food. There are other areas in my life that I don't waste money but in my opinion quality whole food is important to being healthy and avoiding cheap processed food can help us ward off illness and costly medical conditions. Most commercial pizza sauces are full of sugar and it may be cheaper but that sugar does add up.
Edited by Koukouvagia - 9/6/15 at 1:34pm

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #5 of 114

That's because in NYC flour is $9.98 a pound!  ;)

post #6 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post

My "go-to" bar pizza is what I call "Cracker Crust Margarita".

I start w/ simple flatbreads @ +/- .99¢ for a pack of 8. Throw on a spoon of pesto and smear it around. What is that ... .10¢? Slice up a plum tomato, .30¢. 3 slices of mozz or provolone .35¢. Sprinkle of oil and pinch of basil, .10¢ ... 5-minutes in 500* oven ... VOILA! Good cheap eats. < $1.00.

I'm making another big hit pizza this afternoon. Same flatbreads. Sliced and sauteed pears and vidalias. Pan toasted pecans. Crumbled blue cheese, Sprinkle of thyme and a drizzle of oil. 500* oven for 5-minutes. < $2.00.

Do you make pizza bagles
post #7 of 114

Just cooked and ate whole wheat pizza with my family inspired by  "The Art of Pizza Making: Trade Secrets and Recipes" by Dominick A. DeAngelis. It was pretty good, the second 1 came out a little undercooked and needed to be cooked for longer. Getting the timing down for homemade pizza seems to be real tough.

 

PS. as a side note I thought I would never get the taste of salt out of my pizza sauce, and lately I've been trying tomato paste with salt, pesto, garlic, sugar, and olive oil. It tastes just about how I want it now.

post #8 of 114
NO, I don't make "pizza bagels". The flatbreads I use are +/- 8-10 inches.

Sorry KK, and I apologize for having to tell you this, but ... there are NO great pizza places in NYC. That is a very unfortunate fallacy that the people who live there are confused with. I know this is a hard concept for you residents to comprehend and truly understand. It hurts me deeply to tell you this. I also don't feel good compounding the problem and heap more bad news on this conversation. I apologize sincerely, but NYC doesn't have any good hot-dogs either. Sorry.
post #9 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post

Making pizza from scratch is reaching for me but doesn't seam hard. I more of a buy pizza frozen or at costco. The price of pizzeria pizza has gotten out of control, $18+ for a regular pie, ugh. Costco, walmart and Digiorno ard good alternatives and when you get pack of 3 Digiorno for $13 at BJs or walmart brand $7 even costco for $10 they will remain my choice pizzas. I found these don't seem olive oil based sauce so I drizzle some good olive oil over the pie before backing and it reallg wakes up the flavor. Anyone else had enough of pizzeria prices

Yes.  The prices have gone up, and the pies have gotten smaller.  $18.99 for a "Medium" is more like a Small, & that's not counting the tax and the tip.  And, they're no Wolfgang Puck. I'm trying to cut down on bread (carbs/sugar), and try to go with whole wheat or whole grain. (The sauce is probably full of sugar, as well.) Sometimes, you're paying for the convenience, not quality. Homemade is usually better and healthier :)

 

No bagel pizzas, but how about a bagel pizza?

 

http://foxeslovelemons.com/everything-bagel-pizza-lox/

post #10 of 114

Wait wait... Chicago has the best pizza right?  Is this some kind of a rivalry thing?

post #11 of 114
Just the facts my friend ... just the facts. Chicago has NO food rivals.
post #12 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post

Just the facts my friend ... just the facts. Chicago has NO food rivals.

The delusion is strong with this one.
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
post #13 of 114
Chicago has the most amazing pizza flavored casseroles. Unfortunately this prevents them from being able to identify what a real pizza is.

Personally the best pizza I've eaten in my life has been in Italy and NYC pizza at least resembles it in size shape and flavor. Can't same the same about the Chicago casseroles though.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #14 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post

Just the facts my friend ... just the facts. Chicago has NO food rivals.

 

Must be lonely at the bottom. LOL.

 

Tuff crowd.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #15 of 114
Hey ... It's OK. Boat a youse guys can think whatever it is youse likes. You're covered under 'da Constitution. Dere's dat "Americans with Disabilities" Commandment of like 1990's-ish or so. It says you-all can't be discriminalizated for any mental intellectual disability, or you know, bein' goofy in general. It's all OK and all that. Youse just don't know about dese pizza things. You're still humans wit rights 'dough.

OOOPS ... I guess it's all tree a youse guys now. Sorry.
post #16 of 114
With the swill they call pizza here yinz all sould be counting your blessings. The one saving grace about pizza here is that i can drive to Italy and get one in about 30 hours. Alas, no delievery😒

Edit.
I have to pay 18$ a pound for pepperoni, on the rare occassion you can find it here.
post #17 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom View Post

With the swill they call pizza here yinz all sould be counting your blessings. The one saving grace about pizza here is that i can drive to Italy and get one in about 30 hours. Alas, no delievery😒

Edit.
I have to pay 18$ a pound for pepperoni, on the rare occassion you can find it here.


But, you can probably get Ikea's Swedish meatballs quicker than I can get to Ikea (here).  lol

post #18 of 114
Ikea meatbalss here are like sand in the desert Cersi. I buy them frozen, great to train the dogs with them😎. The kids and wife love them for a quick dinner at the local Ikea.
post #19 of 114
Thread Starter 
Code:
If your making a pizza at home with store bought ingredients which are mast produced aren't you in the same boat. Eating a store bought frozen pizza once or twice a month isn't a great health risk and they all aren't bad. It's not like your eating the whole pie yourself and who knows were pizzerias are getting their ingredients from, I bet lot are buying pre made stuff now.

http://www.digiorno.com/products/rising-crust/rising-crust/11155/supreme

Yes it list a lot of ingredients but they can't just say flour, sauce, cheese, everything has to be listed no matter how small. Would you take dominos over digiorno or costco

One more thing, you got to buy a Roomba. This is the way men were ment to vacuum biggrin.gif
Edited by Dagger - 9/7/15 at 5:22am
post #20 of 114

My favorite is Neapolitan pizza.  Unfortunately I'd have to build a brick oven to make one.  The regular oven just won't do.

 

Sorry Ice but explain this.  How come Chicago people don't eat Chicago's most famous pizza?

post #21 of 114

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #22 of 114

Casserole pizzas are the best. Who doesn't want a metric ton of toppings on their pizza??? Extra cheese, garden veggies, extra onion, meat layer you can't see through...etc...

 

Just be sure to eat your slice with your hands...

 

Even pizza places do really well on toppings, warehouse pizza is reminiscent of a deep dish, it's like a fine bread (in that pizza crust sort of way) with pizza toppings. You can always ask for double crust too if you suspect it will be short at restaurants. There always seems to be extra cheese without asking.

 

For homemade, that crust is tricky though...especially with the casserole type pizza...the top part of the crust, under the mountain of toppings just doesn't want to cook.

post #23 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundriedFry View Post
 

Casserole pizzas are the best. Who doesn't want a metric ton of toppings on their pizza??? Extra cheese, garden veggies, extra onion, meat layer you can't see through...etc...

 

Just be sure to eat your slice with your hands...

 

Even pizza places do really well on toppings, warehouse pizza is reminiscent of a deep dish, it's like a fine bread (in that pizza crust sort of way) with pizza toppings. You can always ask for double crust too if you suspect it will be short at restaurants. There always seems to be extra cheese without asking.

 

For homemade, that crust is tricky though...especially with the casserole type pizza...the top part of the crust, under the mountain of toppings just doesn't want to cook.


We're trying to convince you to make it at home.

 

Here ya go ;-)

 

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/06/things-you-can-and-cant-make-in-a-waffle-iron.html

 

http://dailypicdump.com/quesadilla-and-pizza

 

P.S.  Frozen pizza tastes like soggy cardboard, IMO.

 

P.P. S.  Yes, I've had Roombas since they came out.

 

P.P.P.S.  Don't count Cal- i-for-n-i-a out in the Pizza Dept (wolfgang puck, and california pizza kitchen.  The latter, depends on personal taste.)

post #24 of 114

I buy pizza dough from the store - .79 cents  - I can't make it that cheap and it's good.  I let it rise then roll it out to fit my Detroit Pizza pan which I grease with bacon drippings.  Then I cover and let that rise again in a warm spot.  That gets deflated a little and into a 450 oven for maybe 8 minutes to set and then I build my pizza.  Doesn't matter what I put on it - everyone loves it.  The crust is airy and crisp and I make the sauce that day by blitzing fresh tomatoes, garlic and herbs.  It's the best pizza I've ever made and I was a pizza maker when I was younger and experimented a lot.

post #25 of 114

Sorry @Cerise but what yall call pizza out on the left coast is just strange.

Good enuf for Chablis sippers but would never hold up to a pitcher (or 5) of beer.

:smoking:

 

Just the facts ma'am, just the facts.

 

mimi

post #26 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post

Making pizza from scratch is reaching for me but doesn't seam hard. I more of a buy pizza frozen or at costco. The price of pizzeria pizza has gotten out of control, $18+ for a regular pie, ugh. Costco, walmart and Digiorno ard good alternatives and when you get pack of 3 Digiorno for $13 at BJs or walmart brand $7 even costco for $10 they will remain my choice pizzas. I found these don't seem olive oil based sauce so I drizzle some good olive oil over the pie before backing and it reallg wakes up the flavor. Anyone else had enough of pizzeria prices


We are trying to encourage you to cook from scratch, as much as possible.  Most of your posts/threads are about convenience foods.  Not saying anything is wrong with that, but there are "Cooking" sites out there that thrive on Penzy's, Trader Joe's (frozen foods), & cooking on a grille.  (In fact, they come here, & try to emulate this site.)  That being said, RUN.  Chef Talk, imo was meant to share & learn from people that have experience with real cooking - not frozen or prepackaged, or take-out.  Topics re pizza, burgers, and fast food always pick up speed, but one can only lead a horse to water....

 

@flipflopgirl, rather than disagree with me, how about contributing to or answering the OP.  Thanks.

post #27 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatch View Post


The delusion is strong with this one.

 

 

Agree - Chicago doesn't even know how to serve a hot dog much less a pizza - just sayin'.  :lol: 

post #28 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post

Making pizza from scratch is reaching for me but doesn't seam hard. I more of a buy pizza frozen or at costco. The price of pizzeria pizza has gotten out of control, $18+ for a regular pie, ugh. Costco, walmart and Digiorno ard good alternatives and when you get pack of 3 Digiorno for $13 at BJs or walmart brand $7 even costco for $10 they will remain my choice pizzas. I found these don't seem olive oil based sauce so I drizzle some good olive oil over the pie before backing and it reallg wakes up the flavor. Anyone else had enough of pizzeria prices


We are trying to encourage you to cook from scratch, as much as possible.  Most of your posts/threads are about convenience foods.  Not saying anything is wrong with that, but there are "Cooking" sites out there that thrive on Penzy's, Trader Joe's (frozen foods), & cooking on a grille.  (In fact, they come here, & try to emulate this site.)  That being said, RUN.  Chef Talk, imo was meant to share & learn from people that have experience with real cooking - not frozen or prepackaged, or take-out.  Topics re pizza, burgers, and fast food always pick up speed, but one can only lead a horse to water....

 

@flipflopgirl, rather than disagree with me, how about contributing to or answering the OP.  Thanks.

 

I have read quite a few of @Daggar 's posts and I cannot recall him ever asking for our permission to purchase and consume convenience foods (if so I stand corrected).

Like this one for instance....

More about the rising cost of pizza and and a tip on how to elevate the flavor of his takeout.

 

mimi

post #29 of 114

We may not know how to serve, yet we know how to eat. You don't always get that in harbor town big city.

post #30 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post

I buy pizza dough from the store - .79 cents  - I can't make it that cheap and it's good.  I let it rise then roll it out to fit my Detroit Pizza pan which I grease with bacon drippings.  Then I cover and let that rise again in a warm spot.  That gets deflated a little and into a 450 oven for maybe 8 minutes to set and then I build my pizza.  Doesn't matter what I put on it - everyone loves it.  The crust is airy and crisp and I make the sauce that day by blitzing fresh tomatoes, garlic and herbs.  It's the best pizza I've ever made and I was a pizza maker when I was younger and experimented a lot.

Were do you buy pizza dough, only seen that roll of Pillsbury in stores. Them round containers of dough pizzeria uses are they home made or bought? You know silver and piled up on a shelf or under. You can never buy egg rolls in a store that taste better than you get in Chinese place. I have made crab ragoon, cost less but takes lot if time stuffing and shaping raps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking