This post will be updated
- Sigil http://sigil-ebook.com/ an epub word processor--sadly no linux support. Sigil will work with the XHTML without you having to learn the code.
- Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ can generate ebooks in various formats from different inputs as well as convert between the different formats.
- 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/ an epub is a zipped archive of xhtml files and this is a handy tool for manipulating zip files
- Inkscape https://inkscape.org/en/ is a specialised graphics editor for SVG formats. Scalable Vector Graphics. Because epubs are read on differently sized devices from small phones to big computer screens, images that scale smoothly across these sizes are important. This is the preferred tool and supported format.
- EPUB From the Ground Up Matt Garrish
- Accessible EPUB 3 Matt Garrish
- EPUB 3 Best Practices Jarret Buse
- Sigil User Guide http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/index.html