I have two thawed 1-1/2" thick Ahi tuna filets still in there air tight packages that I am going to sear in a skillet. My question is how long do I let them sit out of the fridge before I open, season and sear them for a rare center?
Related Forum Threads
- Fish! Last post on 6/15/10 at 5:41am in Food & Cooking
- April 2015 Challenge: Seafood Last post on 5/2/15 at 6:39am in Food & Cooking
- sauces for fish Last post on 10/12/10 at 11:11am in Professional Chefs
- My Ultimate Seafood Gumbo Last post on 9/19/10 at 2:16pm in Recipes
- Whiskey Salmon Linguine Last post on 9/20/10 at 6:24am in Recipes
Last edited: 2/27/16
- Kung Pao ShrimpLast edited: 2/17/16
- SashimiLast edited: 1/21/12
- CevicheLast edited: 1/21/12
- NoriLast edited: 1/21/12
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
Searing Frozen Ahi Filets
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 411/20/15 at 5:21am
Fish should always be cooked as soon as you can. The longer it sits the more it loses it's freshness. If they are frozen you should take them out the night before that should be enough to thaw it in the fridge. To sear it no more than 5 minutes on one side in a pan on high heat. You need to let it sit in the pan to get a solid sear for at least 3 minutes but then check after to see how the sear is coming. Often you can tell by looking at the outer edges. Hope that helps.Thanks,
ChefTalk.com Founderpost #3 of 412/2/15 at 10:36am
- Searing Frozen Ahi Filets
- Kung Pao Shrimp
- › Red Writing Hood 2 hours, 53 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 7 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › What knives do you sharpen the most often? 7 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › Canada or US ?? 8 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › Flat top grill scraper and cleaning method 9 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Buying Advice Japanese Chef Knife 9 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › I've come for a visit 11 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › wild boar bacon...what to do? 11 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Dalstrong phantom 12 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › natural stones 12 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise