- itemMac Knife Professional French Chef's Knife, 9-1/2-Inchtagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemMac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-Inchtagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemMAC Professional Mighty Chef's Knifetagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemNew West KnifeWorks, Super Bread Knifetagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
Related Forum Threads
- MAC Pro MBK-85 8.5" versus MTH-80 8" Last post on 8/5/14 at 8:13am in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Bread Knife Last post on 3/12/14 at 12:25pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- MAC Bread Knife? Really? Last post on 1/9/16 at 3:17pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Bread comes out super hard and pale Last post on 5/6/16 at 4:25pm in Pastries & Baking
- The care and feeding of a new wooden rolling pin Last post on 2/6/16 at 8:06am in Food & Cooking
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
I graduated in '95 and went back this past Thanksgiving w my 9yo daughter. We eat at the French restaurant, Escoffier. It was great! You get what you pay for. The problem is that many of the...
I attended the professional chef course chef at Italian Chef Academy in Rome chef academy course in January 2017 and both chefs and cooking lessons were fantastic. I have just finished my...
Difference between mac pro bread and superior bread?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
There are two differences I can see between the MAC Superior bread knife (SB-105) and the MAC Pro bread knife (MSB-105), one minor, one major.
The minor change is that the MAC Pro MSB-105 has a metal bolster, while the MAC Superior SB-105 does not have any bolster. That may affect knife balance, but it does not affect cutting performance..
The major change is that the MAC Pro uses MAC's "Original" steel, while the MAC Superior uses MAC's "Superior" steel. That difference means that the Superior Steel is subjected to a much more rapid cooling during the quenching part of the heat treatment process. That results in a harder steel, with reduced wear. It also makes the knife more resistant to sharpening.
Both knives have blades with identical thickness (2.0 mm) and identical length (10.75 inches) and identical height of blade (1.45 inches).
I have several MAC Superior blades, several MAC Original blades and several MAC Professional blades. My take on stiffness is that the MAC Originals are very flexible in comparison to the other series, while the MAC Superior and MAC Professional series knives generally are not very flexible. Of course, all of the comparable MAC Original knives are thinner in thickness of blade, while the MAC Superior and MAC Professional blades are comparable in thickness and significantly thicker than MAC Originals.
From that, I would be very surprised if the MAC Superior SB-105 is more flexible.
I have found that with MAC knives and stiffness, thickness is a very high factor. Length and height of the blade have a lesser inverse effect on stiffness. I also have found that direct model comparisons and careful reading of specific knife model information is needed, rather than generic series information.
Hope that helps
- Difference between mac pro bread and superior bread?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Horrible Fly Problem Need HELP! 2 minutes ago
- › Are Shun knives really worth the price 3 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Seirass and Ricotta manipulation? 3 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Hello everyone -- new member from Northern NJ 4 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › What separates a good chef from a great chef? 4 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › ways to practice knife skills? 6 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › lasagne al forno 6 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › cashews good or bad? 10/18/09 6 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Franchising 7 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › April 2017 Cooking Challenge - Traditional Swedish Food! 7 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › How much u will buy this plate?
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream