- itemMac Knife Professional French Chef's Knife, 9-1/2-Inchtagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemMac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-Inchtagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemMAC Professional Mighty Chef's Knifetagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemNew West KnifeWorks, Super Bread Knifetagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
Related Forum Threads
- MAC Pro MBK-85 8.5" versus MTH-80 8" Last post on 8/5/14 at 8:13am in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Bread Knife Last post on 3/12/14 at 12:25pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- MAC Bread Knife? Really? Last post on 1/9/16 at 3:17pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Bread comes out super hard and pale Last post on 5/6/16 at 4:25pm in Pastries & Baking
- The care and feeding of a new wooden rolling pin Last post on 2/6/16 at 8:06am in Food & Cooking
I got mine a little over two years ago as a christmas gift and I still use it every day. An overall solid knife, nothing to write home about, but out of the box it'll cut anything you need it to,...
Almost 2 years ago now, ChefTalk had a random-draw giveaway for one of these cutting boards. What you had to do was to write a review of a cutting board you use. I wrote one, and it was randomly...
This is a great book written by a very passionate pastry chef. In many ways, a home cook might never need anything more. There are recipes for all seasons and Jacquay covers the details completely....
A basic oil stone for knife maintenance. I use the coarse side for setting initial bevels and repairing blade damage. The coarse side is P150 and is grey I use the fine side to finish the edge....
It was a delight ordering my board from John. he was very helpful discussing the pros and cons of adding feet (I did and I like them.) He was friendly and helpful to all my enquiries, then made...
Difference between mac pro bread and superior bread?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
There are two differences I can see between the MAC Superior bread knife (SB-105) and the MAC Pro bread knife (MSB-105), one minor, one major.
The minor change is that the MAC Pro MSB-105 has a metal bolster, while the MAC Superior SB-105 does not have any bolster. That may affect knife balance, but it does not affect cutting performance..
The major change is that the MAC Pro uses MAC's "Original" steel, while the MAC Superior uses MAC's "Superior" steel. That difference means that the Superior Steel is subjected to a much more rapid cooling during the quenching part of the heat treatment process. That results in a harder steel, with reduced wear. It also makes the knife more resistant to sharpening.
Both knives have blades with identical thickness (2.0 mm) and identical length (10.75 inches) and identical height of blade (1.45 inches).
I have several MAC Superior blades, several MAC Original blades and several MAC Professional blades. My take on stiffness is that the MAC Originals are very flexible in comparison to the other series, while the MAC Superior and MAC Professional series knives generally are not very flexible. Of course, all of the comparable MAC Original knives are thinner in thickness of blade, while the MAC Superior and MAC Professional blades are comparable in thickness and significantly thicker than MAC Originals.
From that, I would be very surprised if the MAC Superior SB-105 is more flexible.
I have found that with MAC knives and stiffness, thickness is a very high factor. Length and height of the blade have a lesser inverse effect on stiffness. I also have found that direct model comparisons and careful reading of specific knife model information is needed, rather than generic series information.
Hope that helps
- Difference between mac pro bread and superior bread?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › What do you do with your fermented bean paste?? 41 seconds ago
- › Ressurect a Childhood Dish 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for knife recommendations... with personal history! 27 minutes ago
- › Which do you prefer? 37 minutes ago
- › Favorite afterwork drink to relax with? 45 minutes ago
- › Job advice. Torn between 3 different possibilities. 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › Shaoxing Rice Wine 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › The easiest curry ever....? 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Food safety for chicken 2 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Chefs to Watch and Learn from? 4 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › The Art of French Pastry by Jacquy Pfeiffer by OCDshaver
- › Norton 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India... by Scott Livesey
- › The Board Smith Maple 2″x12″x18″ by tobe999
- › Orange Coast College Culinary Arts by dumpling
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Mustardpot
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise
- › A "No Turkey" Thanksgiving-Roast Pork
- › Caramelized Cauliflower
- › Holiday Entertaining-Cocktails