- itemMac Knife Professional French Chef's Knife, 9-1/2-Inchtagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemMac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-Inchtagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemMAC Professional Mighty Chef's Knifetagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
- itemNew West KnifeWorks, Super Bread Knifetagged by Nicko, 1/9/16
Related Forum Threads
- MAC Pro MBK-85 8.5" versus MTH-80 8" Last post on 8/5/14 at 8:13am in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Bread Knife Last post on 3/12/14 at 12:25pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- MAC Bread Knife? Really? Last post on 1/9/16 at 3:17pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Bread comes out super hard and pale Last post on 5/6/16 at 4:25pm in Pastries & Baking
- The care and feeding of a new wooden rolling pin Last post on 2/6/16 at 8:06am in Food & Cooking
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
Difference between mac pro bread and superior bread?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
There are two differences I can see between the MAC Superior bread knife (SB-105) and the MAC Pro bread knife (MSB-105), one minor, one major.
The minor change is that the MAC Pro MSB-105 has a metal bolster, while the MAC Superior SB-105 does not have any bolster. That may affect knife balance, but it does not affect cutting performance..
The major change is that the MAC Pro uses MAC's "Original" steel, while the MAC Superior uses MAC's "Superior" steel. That difference means that the Superior Steel is subjected to a much more rapid cooling during the quenching part of the heat treatment process. That results in a harder steel, with reduced wear. It also makes the knife more resistant to sharpening.
Both knives have blades with identical thickness (2.0 mm) and identical length (10.75 inches) and identical height of blade (1.45 inches).
I have several MAC Superior blades, several MAC Original blades and several MAC Professional blades. My take on stiffness is that the MAC Originals are very flexible in comparison to the other series, while the MAC Superior and MAC Professional series knives generally are not very flexible. Of course, all of the comparable MAC Original knives are thinner in thickness of blade, while the MAC Superior and MAC Professional blades are comparable in thickness and significantly thicker than MAC Originals.
From that, I would be very surprised if the MAC Superior SB-105 is more flexible.
I have found that with MAC knives and stiffness, thickness is a very high factor. Length and height of the blade have a lesser inverse effect on stiffness. I also have found that direct model comparisons and careful reading of specific knife model information is needed, rather than generic series information.
Hope that helps
- Difference between mac pro bread and superior bread?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Suggestions On How to keep food warm for a buffet at home? 3 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › Planning working at Cruise Ship soon 4 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Pepin's Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin 4 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Grilling (NOT smoking) Saint Louis ribs? 6 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › Looking for a Laser 7 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Another Chef's knife question :) 9 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 13 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › Flour Tortillas are too dense and taste raw / chewy 13 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › What are your favorite quick fall soup recipes? 15 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Anyone planning a Halloween horror dinner menu? 17 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked