I'm on the hunt for a slow cooker. I've never owned or used one before, but love the thought of coming home to a warm meal that's ready to eat. I don't have a lot of counter or storage space in my apartment and am mostly cooking for two. Any suggestions?
- itemCrockpot 38501-W Round 5-Quart Smart-Pot Slow Cooker, Whitetagged by Nicko, 2/9/16
- itemFagor Duo 8-Quart Pressure Cookertagged by Nicko, 2/9/16
- itemFix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cookertagged by Nicko, 2/9/16
- itemSlow and Easy: Fast-Fix Recipes for Your Electric Slow Cookertagged by Nicko, 2/9/16
Making the Most of Your Slow Cooker-Sauerbraten
Last edited: 2/17/16
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
Slow Cooker. How to choose?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I would look for one with a good timer setting. I had one that would only let you get to warm if you ran through a 4-10 hour setting and then it was set for 4,7, 10 hour settings. I purchase a new version last year that let me set the timer to whatever I wanted and also let me go directly to warm for things I just wanted to keep warm after cooking on the stove or oven.
I actually own four crock pots in varying sizes. The small one is great for breakfast oatmeal or a side dish of dried beans. The largest can hold a whole chicken or small turkey or baked potatoes for the whole family. And the in-betweens are perfect for a typical chili or soup meal. The one MUST HAVE feature is a removable insert; the first one I ever had (a hand-me-down from my parents when I was in college) was a one-piece thing, and it was a pain to wash. A removable insert can to into the dishwasher. Beyond that, the differences are minimal - of course, I must admit that I have no experience with the browning features; they might be worthwhile.
You have to decide if you want a big slow cooker (some are huge) or an average size one. Do not get the cheapest one, yet do not get the super expensive ones, unless you want. Also some don't have a timer, just warming modes, and you've have to time it yourself; while some have an actual timer. Also, if your going to be slow cooking multiple foods, some slow cookers have an extra compartment for vegetables or rice or something. It all depends on what(food) and how your going to use the slow cooker.
We're a 2 person family, and I find I get the most use out of my 1 1/2 qt and 3 qt ones.
The smaller one lives on the back burner of my rangetop, which I rarely turn on.
The larger one I store on top of the microwave; it only takes up counter space when in use.
Neither has a timer, but I've had no problem plugging them into a standard appliance (lamp) timer.
- Slow Cooker. How to choose?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › A fork in the road 51 minutes ago
- › Griddle Recommendations 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › It Never Gets Old. 1 hour, 54 minutes ago
- › CUTTING BOARD 4 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Using an older dishmachine 5 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Hello from California 5 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › Line Cook in Miami, Florida 5 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Cupcakes in electric convection vs gas convection 6 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › Post Roast Pork Cracking 9 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › June 2017 Cooking Challenge: Saffron 10 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Saturday Night Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp...
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream