or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Knife Reviews › What stones are you using?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What stones are you using?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Replacing my stones due to life changes and trying to decide on grits. I use shapton pro stones and before had 320, 1k,2k,5k,8k,15k, and 30k. I use carbon core knives and thinking of a 1.5k vs the 1k and dropping the 2k. So it would be 320, 1.5, 5, 8, and 15k. Not sure I really need 30k again.

post #2 of 24

I have this coarse stone http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1982

 

Shapton 1k, 2k, Gesshin 5k,  ohishi 8k 10k

 

I don't really use the 8 and 10k except for single bevels and razors.  Double bevel i stop at 5k

post #3 of 24

Was there something you didn't like about the Shapton Pro stones? I think they're great.  Realistically there's not much reason to go over 10k except that you can.  When I do other people's knives I rarely go over 5k.  For use on carbon knives try the Naniwa Chocera line.  I think they're the best synthetics out there, at least the best I've tried.  They struggle a bit with the newer 'uber-steels' with a very high volume of vanadium carbides but they shine on Ao-ko, Shirogami, AEB-L, etc.

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

Was there something you didn't like a bout the Shapton Pro stones? I think they're great.  Realistically there's not much reason to go over 10k except that you can.  When I do other people's knives I rarely go over 5k.  For use on carbon knives try the Naniwa Chocera line.  I think they're the best synthetics out there, at least the best I've tried.  They struggle a bit with the newer 'uber-steels' with a very high volume of vanadium carbides but they shine on Ao-ko, Shirogami, AEB-L, etc.

No I just don't have the shaptons any longer. Buying Shapton pro again
post #5 of 24

You might want to grab a Shapton GlassStone or two to mix in as well.  Very good stones.  A smidge harder but they stay flat for a very long time.

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
post #6 of 24

I use a King Combo stone 800/6K, a Bester 1200, Suherio Rika 5k and an Imanishi 10K stone. I am very happy with all these purchases. I did base my purchases on reviews for each of these stones, I only wanted to invest in stones with a good track record. Chefknivestogo.com is a great starting point.

 

The King Combo stone gets the job done well and it was cheap. The Suherio Rika is considered one of the best at 5k, works beautifully. Bester 1200 was a good price and is a great starting point working you way up to another stone, these last forever too. The Imanishi 10k polish is amazing, feels like running your knife on butter.

post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
 

Was there something you didn't like about the Shapton Pro stones? I think they're great.  Realistically there's not much reason to go over 10k except that you can.  When I do other people's knives I rarely go over 5k.  For use on carbon knives try the Naniwa Chocera line.  I think they're the best synthetics out there, at least the best I've tried.  They struggle a bit with the newer 'uber-steels' with a very high volume of vanadium carbides but they shine on Ao-ko, Shirogami, AEB-L, etc.

Yeah, Just found this two article in case of any extra info about Shapton glass stone. Hope they may help you.
https://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/
https://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/2010/05/06/shapton-traditional-hc-and-hr-series-glass-stones-aka-pro-jp-and-glass-stones/

post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 

I currently have two glass stones and not sure what I think. I have 8k and 16k. They worked fine and cut well, just not sure I like the feel and thinness over the pros.

post #9 of 24

Maybe a bit late on this, but these stones as far as I know are exactly the same as shapton pro, just branded for the japanese market and cheaper

 

http://www.amazon.com/Kuromaku-Ceramic-Whetstone-Medium-Grit/dp/B001TPFT0G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454934876&sr=8-3&keywords=shapton+stones

post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsKnives View Post

Maybe a bit late on this, but these stones as far as I know are exactly the same as shapton pro, just branded for the japanese market and cheaper



 



http://www.amazon.com/Kuromaku-Ceramic-Whetstone-Medium-Grit/dp/B001TPFT0G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454934876&sr=8-3&keywords=shapton+stones

 



Thanks for that. When I got into sharpening those are what I had in 2005. Might be able to save a bit.
post #11 of 24

Decided I'm not completely happy with 6K finisher.  Though my translucent Ark actually works on SG2 steel, I'm a little nervous using a stone that hard on steel that brittle, especially as the edges are a  little wonky.  Amongst a number of options I'm considering 3M diamond films  http://www.psidragon.com/

 

I understand they cut crazy fast, and they run from 125microns (120 grit) to 0.1.  I was thinking 1 micron, I'll have to look into it further.  I know their aluminum oxide films leave a much finer finish than the grit size indicated.

 

 

 

Rick

post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
 

I currently have two glass stones and not sure what I think. I have 8k and 16k. They worked fine and cut well, just not sure I like the feel and thinness over the pros.

 

I don't like the feel either, they're extremely hard and unyielding stones.  However I can't argue with the results- they finish very well.  They're thin, that's true. But they wear very slowly so I don't really find it to be an issue.  I've got five or six GStones and none of them have appreciably dished (I haven't even bothered to flatten them yet).  The only advantage they have over the pros is that they work a little better on the really abrasion resistant steels (eg M390).

 

The 16k is fun to play with but I don't think there's much practical use for a stone that fine for kitchen knives.  Razors yeah, knives no.

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
post #13 of 24

I got the GS #1000 (which i rarely use at home) permanently in the car. Good as a travelling stone.

Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
post #14 of 24
I use albino whale bones
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because by then he'll be a mile away and barefoot
Reply
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because by then he'll be a mile away and barefoot
Reply
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsKnives View Post
 

Maybe a bit late on this, but these stones as far as I know are exactly the same as shapton pro, just branded for the japanese market and cheaper

 

http://www.amazon.com/Kuromaku-Ceramic-Whetstone-Medium-Grit/dp/B001TPFT0G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454934876&sr=8-3&keywords=shapton+stones

I have the same. One word to describe it = AWESOME. it's hard and cutting fast. 

post #16 of 24

I know my stones pretty well, and use the same ones for razors, kitchen knives and outdoor gear: Naniwa SS 1000, Belgian Blue, Coticule, Charnley Forest, pasted strop. The naturals all are used with some kind of slurry. Where I stop on the progression depends on the blade. I generally strop everything for maintenance regularly.

 

I would like to try nagura honing. My sense is that I can pick up a three-piece set and use them on the Charnley Forest, which is as hard as it gets and should be a fine place to build up mud.

post #17 of 24
To the OP: don't skip a 2k! Forget almost every behind it, but that one is really essential. You remove almost all burr.
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benuser View Post

To the OP: don't skip a 2k! Forget almost every behind it, but that one is really essential. You remove almost all burr.


If I am using a 1500 why not skip the 2k? Btw I am using Hiromoto as knives, so it is a carbon core.

post #19 of 24
You may be right. But consider a 3k as an intermediate one to shorten considerably the time on the 5k.
post #20 of 24

Well I've ruled out diamond films, very expensive, $43 for a 9x11" sheet, and they don't last long.

 

You can have the Geshin set, 400, 2K, 6K, for 2 bills.  I hear nothing but great things for feedback, finish and cutting speed.  Though not soft they will dish faster than your Shaptons, particularly the 400.  They also make an 8K, but think about a diamond loaded strop for going higher, 1 micron and 0.5 micron slurry.  That will be my next thing to fool around with after I get a current project done.

 

If you want REAL fast there is the Geshin diamond stone set, 1K 6K, for 3 bills.  They dish glacially slow, but it is recomended not to use them against soft stainless jigane as they tend to tear chinks out.

post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Alan View Post
 

Well I've ruled out diamond films, very expensive, $43 for a 9x11" sheet, and they don't last long.

 

You can have the Geshin set, 400, 2K, 6K, for 2 bills.  I hear nothing but great things for feedback, finish and cutting speed.  Though not soft they will dish faster than your Shaptons, particularly the 400.  They also make an 8K, but think about a diamond loaded strop for going higher, 1 micron and 0.5 micron slurry.  That will be my next thing to fool around with after I get a current project done.

 

If you want REAL fast there is the Geshin diamond stone set, 1K 6K, for 3 bills.  They dish glacially slow, but it is recomended not to use them against soft stainless jigane as they tend to tear chinks out.

its actually a different diamond stone that isnt good for soft stainless cladding... the 1k and 6k are fine for that

post #22 of 24
I found someone using my favorite knife cutting boxes today.
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because by then he'll be a mile away and barefoot
Reply
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because by then he'll be a mile away and barefoot
Reply
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrmoore2 View Post

I found someone using my favorite knife cutting boxes today.

 

May be he was deburring...

Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrmoore2 View Post

I found someone using my favorite knife cutting boxes today.


Why do you keep spamming my thread with irrelevant posts?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooking Knife Reviews
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Knife Reviews › What stones are you using?