I have a relatively new tapered wood rolling pin. What is the proper way to care for it? Should it have been seasoned when new? Should it be washed after use, particularly if it gets chunks of buttery dough on it, or just wiped off and put away? I really have no idea here.
Related Forum Threads
- Bread comes out super hard and pale Last post on 5/6/16 at 4:25pm in Pastries & Baking
- Substituting Lard For Butter Quiche Dough Failed Last post on 3/18/16 at 5:59am in Pastries & Baking
- Difference between mac pro bread and superior bread? Last post on 1/10/16 at 7:36pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- MAKING HOMEMADE RAVIOLI Last post on 5/15/14 at 2:00pm in Food & Cooking
- Bread Knife Last post on 3/12/14 at 12:25pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
I graduated in '95 and went back this past Thanksgiving w my 9yo daughter. We eat at the French restaurant, Escoffier. It was great! You get what you pay for. The problem is that many of the...
I attended the professional chef course chef at Italian Chef Academy in Rome chef academy course in January 2017 and both chefs and cooking lessons were fantastic. I have just finished my...
The care and feeding of a new wooden rolling pin
Gear mentioned in this thread:
It is a wood product and should be treated like any other wood product. No, don't constantly scrub it with soap and water after every use. If it's dirty, clean it? I generally don't use soap unless I absolutely have to. Clumpy butter dough would qualify. Usually just a moist towel/ sponge and then a dry paper towel. Always dry it immediately. If it gets dried out, oil it like you would your cutting board - depending on use/ cleaning. I oil mine every other board oiling, but it depends again, on how often you use it. Mine is Koa wood from Maui. I want to keep it beautiful and moisturized. And straight.
I've seen methods for baking oil into wooden utensils for a bit. I've never done it personally but have read positive things about it.
- The care and feeding of a new wooden rolling pin
- › Commercial Kitchen Capacity 43 minutes ago
- › Hi - Aspiring Entrepreneur 51 minutes ago
- › Need a chili recipe 52 minutes ago
- › Mahi Mahi Emergency!!! 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Passed Over for Promotion 2 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › Carrot tops....What to do with them? 3 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Commercial Kitchen Rental Boston, Massachuetts 3 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › Open Discussion of Southern Cooking 3 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Please help-I don't know how to follow orders! 4 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › Matfer Cake Rings for sale 6 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise