or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Pizza method request - Technique, Dough, Oven
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pizza method request - Technique, Dough, Oven - Page 5

post #121 of 137

Bacon drippings? Great idea!

Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
post #122 of 137
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, just a quick update, sorry for my inactivity but had some issues lately and haven't been on since. Just to let you know I have started my own sourdough and planning to try a pizza with it. Will let you know how it goes.

post #123 of 137

I tried "00" flour for pizza yesterday as opposed to my usual AP flour.  The dough fought me too much and didn't brown at all, although the texture and tenderness were fine.

 

Weird.

post #124 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpooley View Post
 

I tried "00" flour for pizza yesterday as opposed to my usual AP flour.  The dough fought me too much and didn't brown at all, although the texture and tenderness were fine.

 

Weird.

Hydration?  Kneading time???????  You need to specify these factors in your post.  8)

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #125 of 137

68% hydration, kneaded by hand about 10 minutes total split with 2 10 minute rests.

 

7 hour total rise (I know, I know, usually overnight or multi day is recommended), 1st hour at room temp, then in fridge after deflating.

 

Oven 500, cooked on inverted metal pan.  This has worked well before in my oven.

 

So, before the lectures start, I generally use the multi day cold ferment and I know I was short cutting.  The surprising thing to me was the lack of browning even though the texture and taste were fine and also the bit of fighting when shaping.  I've worked with regular bread flour that was easier than this.

 

I mean, I expected SOME difference but the degree was surprising.

 

I'm not unhappy with the results, just surprised.  The 00 was a gift and I usually don't feel the need for it.

post #126 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpooley View Post
 

68% hydration,......Oven 500, cooked on inverted metal pan.  This has worked well before in my oven.....

 

 

Your cooking time?????      And I'm using a blue steel pan from Paderno World Cuisine.  My cook time is 15 minutes at 475F with the pan placed at one level below the center of the oven.  Then I finish off by using the broiler for a minute or two with the pan remaining at the same level just one step below the center of the oven.

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #127 of 137

About 12-14 minutes.   They had to be removed because the toppings were in danger.  Again, the crust was cooked, just not brown.  It did not taste raw.

post #128 of 137

post deleted deleted

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #129 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpooley View Post
 

About 12-14 minutes.   They had to be removed because the toppings were in danger.  Again, the crust was cooked, just not brown.  It did not taste raw.

And you might need to use a bit of diastatic malt for browning.

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #130 of 137

I'm probably not going to use 00 again since my usual AP overnight ferment is fine.  I was just surprised at such a drastic difference.

post #131 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpooley View Post
 

I'm probably not going to use 00 again since my usual AP overnight ferment is fine.  I was just surprised at such a drastic difference.


The longer and slower the ferment, the more sugars produced from starch in the dough and therefore the more browning.  Do try an overnight and therefore slow ferment with the 00.  What brand of 00 are you using?

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #132 of 137

Caputo.

 

My usual long ferment with AP works really well.  I know people love the 00 but if it ain't broke.....   

post #133 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpooley View Post
 

Caputo.

 

My usual long ferment with AP works really well.  I know people love the 00 but if it ain't broke.....   


Okay I just rechecked an unopened bag of Antimo 00 Caputo and nothing in the specs indicate that malted barley aka diastatic malt has been added to the flour.  Therefore it may appear a bit anemic coming out of the oven save for a brown/black spot or several.  Specs state that it's a soft wheat with 15.5% humidity but don't state anything about it's being bleached or not.  Based on your experience, the flour may be (EDIT) bleached and I'll leave it up to either you or others to research that factor.


Edited by kokopuffs - 4/18/16 at 11:24am

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #134 of 137

@kokopuffs    Thanks for all the ideas!

post #135 of 137

@rpooley, previous post has been edited and indicated.

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #136 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopuffs View Post
 


Okay I just rechecked an unopened bag of Antimo 00 Caputo and nothing in the specs indicate that malted barley aka diastatic malt has been added to the flour.  Therefore it may appear a bit anemic coming out of the oven save for a brown/black spot or several.  Specs state that it's a soft wheat with 15.5% humidity but don't state anything about it's being bleached or not.  Based on your experience, the flour may be (EDIT) bleached and I'll leave it up to either you or others to research that factor.


I noticed from their product web site http://caputoflour.com/portfolio_item/00%E2%80%B3-pizzeria/ that the flour "Milled specifically for use at temperatures above 700°F". See the datasheet http://caputoflour.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/00-Pizzeria-SPECS.pdf

 

ss

post #137 of 137

LOL.   700?!?    OK, I guess I can use it for making pizza at home or for smelting steel.....

 

:eek:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Pizza method request - Technique, Dough, Oven