or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Professional Food Service › Professional Chefs › Please critique My Restaurant Idea, Menu, Example Recipes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please critique My Restaurant Idea, Menu, Example Recipes - Page 3  

post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa Chef View Post
 


I charge $80 an hour under contract to consult..

Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #62 of 81
No, Christ doesn't charge. His services are free to all who believe and desire.

But 80 for a consultant isn't very much, if he's any good.
Edited by BrianShaw - 4/18/16 at 7:27pm
post #63 of 81


You are correct. However it's the going rate for an independent chef consultant who focuses specifically on BOH operations. The bigger companies get upwards of $300 an hour but also have 4 or 5 specialists doing a multi tasking job. They work both BOH and FOH and at a faster pace whereas I have a specific operation to conduct. My job usually takes 4 to 5 weeks to complete at an ave of 50 hours per week. Anything beyond that another contract is negotiated. Brian..you have a lot to learn about consulting I see.

post #64 of 81
Huh? What do you think I need to learn?
post #65 of 81

@Justa Chef you must be thinking about @The novice's post.

 

In any case, I would like to ask everyone to please tone it down a notch.

 

Thank you.

post #66 of 81


@kuan What R U referring to in regards to "thinking about Novice's Post?" As far as toning it down.....what are you upset about in particular? Certain people find the need to be antagonistic while others are trying to give sound advice.

post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa Chef View Post
 


You are correct. However it's the going rate for an independent chef consultant who focuses specifically on BOH operations. The bigger companies get upwards of $300 an hour but also have 4 or 5 specialists doing a multi tasking job. They work both BOH and FOH and at a faster pace whereas I have a specific operation to conduct. My job usually takes 4 to 5 weeks to complete at an ave of 50 hours per week. Anything beyond that another contract is negotiated.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

Huh? What do you think I need to learn?

"Brian..you have a lot to learn about consulting I see." Read my friend...read

post #68 of 81
Your still not making your point (not a good trait for a consultant). Why do you persist in calling me out of my name? What exactly do you think you know about me and what exactly do you think I don't know?

Or are you trying to find out if I can divide 300 by 4 or 5? If so, yes... I know there are high priced as well as low-ball consultants in many disciplines. Just like I know there are consultants who have the credentials to support their price and others who are just hot air... And very few with the confidence to forgo a hourly fee and work under a "pay for performance " agreement.

I'll bet I know a lot more about consultants and consulting than you think I do. But the one thing I know for sure is how easy it is to be a random windbag on the Internet. Ha ha ha.
Edited by BrianShaw - 4/19/16 at 6:58am
post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The novice View Post
 


I am not a professional chef, but i do own a restaurant and make w/e needs to be made (dips, sauces, batter etc.) And i am getting a consulting chef on the cheap (FREE) than i will listen and STFU.  Especially when they probably charge....I really don't want to know what they charge, but w/e it is, its ALOT


 

  when I looked at setting up my business I made sure I put my strong points center stage. The biggest downfall of every restaurant operation is thinking they know everything. I think most chefs think everything they do is second to none, best of breed and better than most. I learned early to be open to all suggestions, this isn't easy when you have an ego. The reason why I loved this business is because I was good at it. I was able to get a lot of self satisfaction, positive feedback from customers and a feeling of accomplishment. There aren't many jobs you work at in life that you get this much immediate gratification. This could be the reason why most chefs think they know-it-all. I mean if everyone is patting you on the back how could that not go to your head. The thing to realize is we don't know it all. We can all learn something from everyone. I realize I never learned anything with my mouth open. Be like a sponge when your working with someone with more knowledge in a area that your no strong at. I remember when I started playing golf. The pro told me people will always practice with a 7 iron because it's an easier club to hit the ball with and make us look good. We all want to look good but, in order to be good we need to hit all the clubs well. This is the something in business, learn how to be great at everything so your business will run smooth and efficient.


Edited by ChefBillyB - 4/19/16 at 7:10am
post #70 of 81

So true @ChefBillyB.

We need to hit well with all the clubs.

I am stealing that analogy....pretty sure it will come in handy the next time I am dressing down one of the Grands for a poorly done job.

:)

 

mimi

post #71 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post


 But the one thing I know for sure is how easy it is to be a random windbag on the Internet. Ha ha ha.

Yup..you're a pro.... "Ha Ha Ha"

post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa Chef View Post
 

Yup..you're a pro.... "Ha Ha Ha"

But really... you seem to be stirring a pot. What's your point?  I'm really curious. Why won't you address the issue that seems to be agitating you? "What are you upset about in particular?"

 

If I read between the lines you act as if I assaulted your credentials (none of which I recall ever being presented) or your consulting fee. In fact, I supported your consulting fee as being "reasonable". I don't understand your point.

post #73 of 81


Honestly don't know what you're talking about. No points here just making observations. Don't know why you feel I'm stiring the pot...I have ill will towards you...you've only made 3 posts in this thread..lol.....why are you going off the deep end my friend? I'm appreciative if anything that you support what I'm saying..Thank You...my apologies if you took my pun seriously..lol...Now if you'd like to tell everyone of you consulting experience and how much your asking price and hour is, I'm more than happy to read all about it! 

I deal with owners that approach me to find out why they aren't meeting their financial goals. Asking anymore than I do would be too much of a dent in their wallets. The charges also vary depending on the project and what they ask me to do in that project. I have an a la carte menu so to speak, they only pay for what they want done 

post #74 of 81

Oh... okay, I get it now. You were writing using a dry New England sense of humor. Well I missed that... which is unusual because I'm a dry humored New Englander.  And I still don't understand the "pun".  Honestly, I had no idea what you were talking about and calling me out by name wasn't helping. But what does it matter what my consulting experience/rates are? Wh don't you post a real name and your credentials if you want to assess credibility?  On second thought, don't bother. Carry on...

post #75 of 81

Are you guys done yet or do you need some assistance?

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflayne View Post
 

Are you guys done yet or do you need some assistance?

No, I'm done. But thanks very much for the offer of assistance.  :)

 

Actually... yes... I'll take you up onthat offer.  What do you suppose this meant, "I have ill will towards you..."  Perhaps a typo and should have meant "I have NO ill will towards you..." or is that a Freudian slip?

 

Now I'm done. Thank you for your offer.

post #77 of 81

This thread is gonna is be closed/locked....


Edited by The novice - 4/19/16 at 12:45pm
post #78 of 81


Thank you Cheflayne..all set with this one here on my end...i'll let him have the last word.....yes....a Siggy slip.".NO ill will"..I stand corrected....I'm happy with how I present myself here thank you anyhow......

post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The novice View Post
 

This thread is gonna is closed/locked....

Less obnoxious comments have been deleted. Not sure why this thread is still open and comments remain. 

post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake t buds View Post
 

Less obnoxious comments have been deleted. Not sure why this thread is still open and comments remain. 


seems to me there is a lot of really good info and different chefs opinions and perspectives here......some accepted others not....

post #81 of 81

This thread has gone hopelessly off topic and has gone in a direction that is not constructive so I am locking it down.  Would have shut it down sooner but I haven't had a chance to get on the boards since my last post on here.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Professional Chefs
This thread is locked  
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Professional Food Service › Professional Chefs › Please critique My Restaurant Idea, Menu, Example Recipes