Well, I like to cook(to eat) and I have been learning how to make soups lately, but for some reason, they always taste like vomit. I am extremely confused about why it tastes this way and I was hoping that you could give me ideas why. When I made tomatoe soup, I took tomaotes and put them on a pan and carmalized them with salt, pepper, olive oil, and thyme on them, then I through that into a pot and grinded it down and added vegetable stock. Unfortunately, that tasted like 100% vomit(it was extremely acid too).I blamed that on too much thyme. Later, I made the soup a different way by not adding thyme, I sautéed onions with pepper and salt then I added canned tomatoes, which ended up tasting worse. I tried to add sugar to make it less acidic, but the flavors just got worse. Finally, I went to make corn chowder and I added onions, celery, and carrots and sautéed it with salt and pepper and then added cream. I then added in canned corn and vegetable broth and tht too tasted like vomit, with a horrible smell. I cannot think of why it tastes so bad, any suggestions?
- itemCuisinart CSB-77 Smart Stick Hand Blender with Whisk and Chopper Attachmentstagged by Nicko, 4/25/16
- itemEnlightened Soups: More Than 135 Light, Healthy, Delicious and Beautiful Soups in 60 Minutes or Lesstagged by Nicko, 4/25/16
- itemLe Creuset 7-1/2 Quart Bouillabaisse Pot, Cobalttagged by Nicko, 4/25/16
- itemLe Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French Oven, Redtagged by Nicko, 4/25/16
- topicSoupstagged by Nicko, 4/25/16
- itemThe Daily Soup Cookbooktagged by Nicko, 4/25/16
- itemThe Soup Bibletagged by Nicko, 4/25/16
- itemThe Soup Peddler's Slow and Difficult Soups: Recipes and Reveriestagged by Nicko, 4/25/16
Related Forum Threads
- Tomato Basil Soup with Italian Sausage Last post on 1/30/16 at 7:55am in Recipes
- What kind of alcohol do I use in Lobster Bisque? Last post on 10/25/07 at 1:55pm in Food & Cooking
- Does anyone have a recipe for lobster consomme? Last post on 9/10/07 at 7:14am in Food & Cooking
- Lobster Bisque Soup Last post on 2/18/08 at 12:30pm in Food & Cooking
- Bone broth Last post on 3/31/16 at 9:06am in Food & Cooking
Two Onion Soups
Last edited: 2/17/16
- Italian Meatball and Kale SoupLast edited: 1/17/16
- Curried Squash SoupLast edited: 11/16/15
- Cold SoupsLast edited: 2/16/10
- Chilled SoupsLast edited: 2/16/10
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
All soups I make taste like vomit?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 344/24/16 at 12:04pmAre you following a recipe or improvising? If the latter I'd suggest the former since your results are consistently unsuccessful. Soup should not taste like vomit. Perhaps you should also consider a medical exam... Brain tumors can cause phantom smells of feces and maybe vomit too.post #3 of 344/24/16 at 2:03pmThread StarterQuote:I was improvising, but the only thing I could think of would be too much onion, it was a really big onion but it shrunk a lot. And I def dont have a tumor lol, because I'm only 20Originally Posted by BrianShaw
Are you following a recipe or improvising? If the latter I'd suggest the former since your results are consistently unsuccessful. Soup should not taste like vomit. Perhaps you should also consider a medical exam... Brain tumors can cause phantom smells of feces and maybe vomit too.post #4 of 344/24/16 at 2:04pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Submersed24
I was improvising, but the only thing I could think of would be too much onion, it was a really big onion but it shrunk a lot. And I def dont have a tumor lol, because I'm only 20. The ironic thing is that I can usually cook really good food just by smell, but just not soup.post #5 of 344/24/16 at 2:13pmNope, too much onion is quite unlikely to be the problem. Seek out a good recipe or two and follow them. Also, please don't succumb to the "arrogance of youth"... Tumors can happen at any age. There really could be a reason why you continually think you smell vomit.post #6 of 344/24/16 at 2:19pmpost #7 of 344/24/16 at 2:56pmpost #8 of 344/24/16 at 3:06pmpost #9 of 344/24/16 at 6:00pmAnother question or two. Did the nasty smell happen when the soup was fresh, or after being cooled and stored? What did you cook the soup and what did you store in? Cooking in cast iron can give off flavored as can storing in some plastics.post #10 of 344/24/16 at 9:04pmpost #11 of 344/25/16 at 6:51ampost #12 of 344/25/16 at 10:25ampost #13 of 344/25/16 at 11:00ampost #14 of 344/25/16 at 12:22pmpost #15 of 344/26/16 at 7:46am
Hi, the only way to make a horrible soups is not to have idea of why you put certain ingredients and what is their use.
Wrong ratios of mirepoix, main ingredient and stock, wrong seasoning and bad quality of your ingredients can make you produce a disappointing soup (but tasting like vomit???). I once made a "throw random ingredient in random ratios" soup and the result was still eatable (but far from very tasty).
So, start with good fresh ingredients, avoid canned vegetables, if possible avoid cube stocks but make your own stock, take a recipe and use it as a template. The steps are always the same: sauteeing for flavour extraction, cooking in stock, pureeing, seasoning and thickening. I can't imagine what can go wrong.post #16 of 344/26/16 at 8:05amQuote:
I have never tasted anything by any cook that tasted like vomit. Some thing very wrong!post #17 of 344/26/16 at 8:44ampost #18 of 344/26/16 at 10:06ampost #19 of 344/26/16 at 9:05pmI'll trust you on that!post #20 of 344/27/16 at 9:32ampost #21 of 344/27/16 at 9:39ampost #22 of 344/27/16 at 5:06pmpost #23 of 344/28/16 at 3:26pmpost #24 of 344/29/16 at 6:12ampost #25 of 344/29/16 at 9:46ampost #26 of 344/29/16 at 10:28ampost #27 of 345/2/16 at 10:50am
The other suggestions such as ensuring you are using quality ingredients are key. But also ensure you are cooking in a nonreactive pan as they won't impart flavors to your soup. Someone mentioned cast iron as being a poor choice but also cheap aluminum pans should be avoided. Lastly, make sure no one is puking in your soup when you're not looking.post #28 of 349/8/16 at 11:16amThread StarterQuote:
Haha I think I am good in that area, it is just my soup that tasted bad. Though, I made tomato sauce recently and it tasted a lot better.post #29 of 349/8/16 at 11:20amThread StarterQuote:
Yes, I think this was the case. I bought vine tomatoes, cut them in half and pre cooked them for 30 minutes with olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic, and I left the vines on to give a little more flavor and took them off when I blended them together. So the vines could be it too, I also put WAY too much thyme because the bristles fell off into the soup when I boiled itpost #30 of 349/8/16 at 11:28amThread StarterQuote:
Nope, real. I am actually getting pretty good at cooking too but the acidity of the tomatoes was probably the reason. That with too much thyme and the vine of the tomatoes could have been why. My mom actually liked the soup with the exception of too much thyme, but I couldn't eat it. Way too acidic. Probably way too many herbs seeing I am used to dried having less flavor
- All soups I make taste like vomit?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Italian Meatball and Kale Soup
- › Surprise! I am hoping for help choosing new knives :) 4 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Nakiri vs Kiritsuke $200 or less 4 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › How To Make An Amazing Tuna Fish Sandwich? 5 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Does anyone use a meal delivery service? Plated, Hello Fresh, Blue... 5 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › turkey 8 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Introduction and Need for Help! 8 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Another Chef's knife question :) 8 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Menu / Product Question 11 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › slow cooker vs oven braise vs pressure cooker 11 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Utah Jello Haiku contest 12 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked