- itemBruce Aidells's Complete Book of Pork: A Guide to Buying, Storing, and Cooking the World's Favorite Meattagged by Nicko, 4/26/16
- itemCharcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curingtagged by Nicko, 4/26/16
- itemProfessional Charcuterie: Sausage Making, Curing, Terrines, and Ptstagged by Nicko, 4/26/16
- itemThe Art of Charcuterietagged by Nicko, 4/26/16
Related Forum Threads
- Homemade Pancetta Last post on 5/24/15 at 9:28am in Food & Cooking
- March 2015 Challenge: MINCE Last post on 4/19/15 at 11:53am in Food & Cooking
- My latest bacon Last post on 3/25/14 at 1:23pm in Food & Cooking
- April 2016 Challenge........BACON Last post on 5/3/16 at 5:10am in Food & Cooking
- How long does bacon fat last in the fridge? Last post on 1/18/16 at 12:45am in Food & Cooking
I graduated in '95 and went back this past Thanksgiving w my 9yo daughter. We eat at the French restaurant, Escoffier. It was great! You get what you pay for. The problem is that many of the...
I attended the professional chef course chef at Italian Chef Academy in Rome chef academy course in January 2017 and both chefs and cooking lessons were fantastic. I have just finished my...
A very good way to get into Japanese blades since very good bang for the buck. Familiar blade and handle shape. Very good steel, comes with and keeps a good sharp edge ... but if you need to touch...
I picked up the Miyabi 8" chef's (600D) as an upgrade to my Henckels when I found it on sale and was not disappointed. Feels a bit lighter and more agile in the hand compared to the Germans since...
Wüsthof is one of the "big name" Germans for a reason, over 200 years. Their professional tier lines are all solid, and the choice may end up being just personal taste over the exact look/material...
Center of Salami Retaining Moisture
Gear mentioned in this thread:
There is a Facebook group called The Salt Cured Pig, a whole lot of knowledgeable folks there. Lots of good reading.
...and also Salumi, Charcuterie and Wurst at Facebook:
Best and I'm a foodie. I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.
What ratio are you using for your mix? Fat to protein etc? Have you tried taking the temp down to 50?
Looking at Fritz Sonnenschmidt's book:
Furst ;) incubation phase, 2 days at 70F, 75-85% humidity.
Second is 50-60F, no humidity given, and can take up to 8 months depending on the type of Salami.. Wonder why he doesn't give the humidity.
I also use Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing You should try adding a small bowl of water for a little more moisture.
- Center of Salami Retaining Moisture
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › March 2017 Cooking Challenge--Party Food! 57 minutes ago
- › Style of Preparing Eastern Veggie with same Texture as Meat? 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › difference between cuts 2 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › New Restaurant Owners 4 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Red Ranch Sauce 6 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › Executive Training Paul Bocuse 7 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Dexsteel? 7 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Greenherb A Grade Dried Shiitake Mushrooms and parasites 8 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Co worker issue HELP! 11 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Hello hello hello! 14 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › The Art of French Pastry by Jacquy Pfeiffer by OCDshaver
- › Norton 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India... by Scott Livesey
- › The Board Smith Maple 2″x12″x18″ by tobe999
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise
- › A "No Turkey" Thanksgiving-Roast Pork