- itemBruce Aidells's Complete Book of Pork: A Guide to Buying, Storing, and Cooking the World's Favorite Meattagged by Nicko, 4/26/16
- itemCharcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curingtagged by Nicko, 4/26/16
- itemProfessional Charcuterie: Sausage Making, Curing, Terrines, and Ptstagged by Nicko, 4/26/16
- itemThe Art of Charcuterietagged by Nicko, 4/26/16
Related Forum Threads
- Homemade Pancetta Last post on 5/24/15 at 9:28am in Food & Cooking
- March 2015 Challenge: MINCE Last post on 4/19/15 at 11:53am in Food & Cooking
- My latest bacon Last post on 3/25/14 at 1:23pm in Food & Cooking
- April 2016 Challenge........BACON Last post on 5/3/16 at 5:10am in Food & Cooking
- How long does bacon fat last in the fridge? Last post on 1/18/16 at 12:45am in Food & Cooking
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
Center of Salami Retaining Moisture
Gear mentioned in this thread:
There is a Facebook group called The Salt Cured Pig, a whole lot of knowledgeable folks there. Lots of good reading.
...and also Salumi, Charcuterie and Wurst at Facebook:
Best and I'm a foodie. I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.
What ratio are you using for your mix? Fat to protein etc? Have you tried taking the temp down to 50?
Looking at Fritz Sonnenschmidt's book:
Furst ;) incubation phase, 2 days at 70F, 75-85% humidity.
Second is 50-60F, no humidity given, and can take up to 8 months depending on the type of Salami.. Wonder why he doesn't give the humidity.
I also use Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing You should try adding a small bowl of water for a little more moisture.
- Center of Salami Retaining Moisture
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › What did you have for dinner? 3 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › It Never Gets Old. 4 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Help! Fine Dining vs Hospital Chefs 4 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Leftover hollandaise 6 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › negotiating prices with vendors 6 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › ( safety ) -- a few basic questions 7 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Pink Pork Sausage 8 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Ideas for a little dinner party for a friend. 10 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › BBQ Sauce 11 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Should I run away or toward? 13 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Saturday Night Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp...
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream