Hi everyone - please help me as soon as you can..
Dough Issue: The final tortillas are too dense / heavy and look partial raw / oily. ( even though they are cooked).
Here is the recipe I’ m using – maybe you can identify a flaw.
2 cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup warm water
½ teaspoon vinegar
Add another 1/8 cup water
1. stir dry ingredients (flour & salt in bowl)
2. add oil, vinegar into dry ingredients ( mix)
3.add hot tap water working the liquid
4. knead the dough with hands for 4 minutes ( this might effect the temperament of the dough)
5. form into 8 dough balls and let the dough sit in wrapped plastic for 30 minutes ( I actually kept it in the fridge over night) – not sure if this effects the dough.
6. I then used a cast iron press and once pressed I hand roll it to make them very thin ( the dough seems to shrink ab it after it’s rolled out).
7 ( cook for 30 seconds for each side). I can’t cook longer because it will become too hard and crack.
(Note I ‘m not using baking powder – this might be why it tastes really chewy / raw). But the problem is they are still too dense / heavy. I don’t think it’s the press problem because I roll them really thin and hen the dough shrinks and becomes heavy when cooked. I think it’s the temperament of the dough hmm.
Cooling and packing problem: Once they are produced I put them on a metal cooling rack at room temperature. I let them sit for 30 – 45 minutes until they feel cool and then pack them and seal them in a bag and they go right into the fridge. Issue is the bag turns moist once I put them in the fridge. I don’t want to hole punch the bag – because then air will go in and harden the product. If I let them sit at room temperature for too long it will harden and crack. Etc.
Storing dough: Can I prepare dough 2 days before and keep in the fridge? Or is the freezer better? Not sure how it effects the dough. hmmm