Colorado Springs is a metropolitan city at the base of Pikes Peak, on the eastern edge of the southern Rocky Mountains. Despite its natural surroundings, Colorado Springs is the most populous city in El Paso County. with an estimated population of 457,715, occupies 195 square miles at the base of majestic Pikes Peak – America's Mountain and enjoys nearly 300 days of sunshine per year. Colorado Springs is the state's largest city in terms of area and second to Denver in population. The "Springs" is home to several military establishments, including the Air Force Academy, many colleges and universities, the United States Olympic Committee Headquarters, and over 40 different sports organizations. Colorado Springs is a thriving city with over 30 Fortune 500 companies and a leader in the aerospace and defense industries. It also has a diverse collection of non-profit organizations and businesses with a large number of tourist attractions. Colorado Springs ranked 5th in the US News and World Report's 2016 Best Places to Live in the United States, 23rd Best Community for Well-Being by the Gallup-Heathway’s Well Being Index in 2015, and was a finalist for the All-American City Award in 2013.
Unique ground breaking opportunity for an extraordinary Chef with strong French Food experience to join our cooking school, cafe and catering business as we expand our business to an amazing new location. The Chef is responsible for developing and teaching cooking classes to guests in our cooking school. The Chef will be responsible for overseeing and executing all classes and private dining events and maintain quality experiences for each guest that comes to our culinary center.
This individual will play a critical role in the creation of unique and interesting classes and events. You will bring a strong commitment to your career and a passion for French food. Candidate needs to be imaginative, and willing to focus on creativity. With a fun approach and strong teaching skills you will teach our students both the practical cooking techniques along with the ability to respect and honor food.
1 full time position available
Duties & Responsibilities
· Must have a passion for food and imparting their knowledge of French cuisine to our guests.
· Responsible for overseeing and executing all specialty classes and private dining events.
· Responsible for the organization of private events and group classes from initial inquiry through execution. This includes setting a date; selecting a menu, drafting the contract and accommodating any client needs.
· Contributes and develops ideas, recipes and menus for teaching our students how to cook fresh, healthy food for their friends and family from scratch. Edits recipes and class materials for guests to take home.
· Creates, contributes and develops ideas for the cafe and catering business. The key to success is understanding our customer base and looking for ways to provide creative offerings.
· Ensures that all food production workers are performing their duties, including training and evaluating.
· Supervises cleanliness of kitchen and equipment.
· Purchases or submits requisitions for food items, kitchen supplies and equipment.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor's Degree and/or an Associate Culinary Degree with strong experience in French Food.
· Two to three (2-3) years of cooking experience.
· Food Handlers License is required.
Knowledge, skill & Abilities
· Knowledge of French culture and food required.
· Strong customer service skills, able to communicate politely and effectively in person, in writing, and over the phone with guests and clients, including large groups.
· Must have ability to design, create and teach specialty classes in accordance with various ideas and clients requests
· Must be able to supervise the work of students with excellent communication skills, strong training and fun teaching skills.
· Must have considerable knowledge of food values, nutrition, and menu planning, and creative uses for leftover food.
· Must have considerable knowledge of health hazards in food preparation and service, and of necessary precautionary measures.
· Good professional skills, including working effectively with team members and meeting project deadlines
· Ability to quickly gain a basic understanding of our business markets and opportunities
· Develop quantity checklists to assure exact cost margin and to avoid over-or under-ordering
· Must be willing to work mix of split and straight shifts, holidays, and weekends
· Positive attitude! The position requires a degree of entertaining, so you must be able to work with people and smile!
Culinary background in France is a plus.
Candidates proficient or fluent in French is a plus.
Knowledge of food science is a plus
A background in teaching is helpful, but not necessary
Experience interacting in social networks, such as LinkedIn, blogs, forums, etc., a plus
If you’d like your career to be challenging and fun, we’d love to have you join our team!
Edited by Coloradobee - 6/4/16 at 8:40am