or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Professional Food Service › Professional Chefs › 3 lazy managers/ No business
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3 lazy managers/ No business

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, I work in a restaurant chain as a cook / chef and they are constantly letting us go early , like after 5-6 hours. ?? They say business is slow and it has been like this for many years. Absolutely no growth and it appears to be failing..

We have three managers who cant seem to get it together.

Is it the managers job to drum up business to keep the place going? I am thinking YES, 

Because all I see is them sitting in their office, wiping off dishes like they are helping. They do menial task that should be delegated to employees.    I have a mortgage to pay and need the money, so I have decided to move to FOH in hopes to earn more money plus help add some value. I have applied for manager and expect to be training soon  . I am experiencing much hate and adversity now from these three managers. I am a older female retired military and they know I have the skills to shape this place up. Should I tell them about my plans or keep them to myself until I am that position??

Thanks all,,Tired of seeing the restaurant fail

post #2 of 18
I hate to say this, but sounds like a sinking ship. Polish up your resume and put your great work ethic and talents to a place more worthy of your ability. Your military background will make you very attractive to prospective employers so you should be able to find something pretty fast. Longevity does exist in the industry, but moving around to move up is the norm IMHO. Good lck
post #3 of 18

Three managers?

post #4 of 18

With a chain, depending if it's franchised and/or has single owner or multiple, there can be a TON of dynamics at play. At the end of the day though, a manager should feel the gravity of helping to push the business forward, and in all honesty, anyone getting paid by the company should do their part as well - whether paid directly or indirectly for such actions. However, as someone who's led about 100 employees through the years, I understand people do not typically do something they are not directly paid for - only the one's who understand the value of this as a long-play are the exceptions.

 

The managers at times may be directly told to "stay out of marketing" depending on the politics of the place. It's really hard to know what true dynamics are at play without hearing it directly from those in the chain of command.

 

It's a long-winded answer, but ultimately you have to make whatever moves necessary for you and your family. Move to the other side, provide as much value as possible, don't let anyone's opinion of you be any part of your mentality as long as you're doing things ethically, legally, and morally sound. And...Kick some a** when you get to the top and never forget what it was like being in your position at the bottom. Use it to communicate to your team, build a great culture, and get EVERYONE involved in the business. :) 

post #5 of 18

Chain restaurants will always over schedule to cover their own ass. They don't care about anyones hours. The only thing they worry about is the bottom line. There isn't a whole lot of loyalty going around in most chain restaurants. Chain restaurants are ok to fill in for extra hours when working another job that gives you a full time position. The three managers are there to failsafe the restaurant. If this place was independently owned you would see less labor and more hours for valued employees. 

post #6 of 18

In answer to your question, it is "head office" that is entitled to drum up more business.  Franchises pay a hefty advertising fee to the chain, thereby excusing themselves from any form of advertising or promotions, head office does this, and if you do, there could be fines.

...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 

Yes three! and between Lary moe and Curly they cant figure out how to get more business

post #8 of 18

Chains are a different business animal. The may be holding on to your property for expensed loss. Especially if the have some killer properties.

      Also your managers may be forecast paranoid. If the bean counters aren't bothering them, they may not want to increase business.

   The managers are acting like they are making forecast. Hence, the short hours, etc. If they weren"t you would see changes or pressure. Normally if you show growth, maybe 5%. Your forecast for next term might be 3-5% higher.

Like @ChefBillyB ,says  the focus is the bottom line.

  There tends to be a lot of fat in chains. That usually corresponds to the low pay and less experience of managers.

FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
FOR YEARS I LIVED TO WORK! NOW I WORK TO LIVE!
Reply
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 

Yes I can understand that, but what about taking pride in your restaurant whether its a chain or not. They sit there laughing and watching their clocks eager to send us home early. Im sure they are on salary. I would be ashamed of myself for having to send my crew home so early when we all have families and mouths to feed. I would be ashamed that after three years we only have one customer between 11-1 pm. Wheres the integrity? How about making a complete change and instead up laughing in the office playing on the computer you start advertising or making specials or hosting community events or putting a fresh paint inside and try and get more business.

There is so much friction its making us all miserable, I will eventually leave and I am seeking other things but what a pain the ass to find another job. I want to cook, I want to learn and grow. !

ok im done venting.

I wish Gordon Ramsay had a place nearby I would love to work for those standards! 

 

Also wouldn't it be hard for those managers to find other jobs , having a failing restaurant on their resume? Maybe not if they go to the same below stand place.

 Thanks for the input

post #10 of 18

I have sent people home early, but I've never seen, heard of, or read about any owner/manager that does it for kicks.  Much rather keep them longer due to increased business.  That is the purpose of being open for business.

 

However:

 

Over and over again, year after year, I have had many, many employees tell me (at the interview) that they want all the hours and days they can get...then complain or quit because they felt they were being overworked or didn't have time for other things.  Most often, they never give an indication of this unhappiness...possibly because they remember they requested the extra time.

 

So for some, work them less they complain, work them more they complain.  Commenting to co-workers about work hours is guaranteed to get back to management, no matter how much a person believes the conversation is in confidence.  And management will usually accommodate in the way they feel is prudent.

 

The solution?:  Say something to the person who can make the change, not to other employees.  Very possible, the person in charge is under the impression a worker doesn't want  more hours.  And no one else can write the schedule.

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcook View Post
 

 How about making a complete change and instead up laughing in the office playing on the computer you start advertising or making specials or hosting community events or putting a fresh paint inside and try and get more business.

 

 

You are making the assumption that your managers have the power to do these things, which, as pointed out to you, may not be the case.  They may not have the authority to make those changes or authorize such expenditures.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcook View Post
 

Yes I can understand that, but what about taking pride in your restaurant whether its a chain or not. They sit there laughing and watching their clocks eager to send us home early. Im sure they are on salary.

 

I have never met a manager "eager" to send staff home early and I have worked in many, many places.  All managers, that I know, hate it, first of all because we know it hits those people in the pocket books, which we know sucks.  Secondly, if we send people home early there is always the possibility that the place will get busy then we are short staffed, which sucks. And yes, they are the ones staying and sending the hourly employees home as that is the way you save money.  You can't save labor dollars by sending salaried managers home, which again sucks because now, as a manager, I have to do an employee's closing duties as well has mine.  It's probably not their choice, but they have labor budgets that must be adhered to so they don't have much choice in the matter.

 

This place is a sinking ship, and it isn't necessarily the fault of the onsite managers.  As others have stated, in the numerous threads, you have started about this problem, there could be a lot of corporate politics going on that you don't know about or the company can be using this poor performing unit as some kind of write off.  You really should start looking for a new job if you aren't happy here as I doubt it will change.

post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
 

 

You are making the assumption that your managers have the power to do these things, which, as pointed out to you, may not be the case.  They may not have the authority to make those changes or authorize such expenditures.

 

 

I have never met a manager "eager" to send staff home early and I have worked in many, many places.  All managers, that I know, hate it, first of all because we know it hits those people in the pocket books, which we know sucks.  Secondly, if we send people home early there is always the possibility that the place will get busy then we are short staffed, which sucks. And yes, they are the ones staying and sending the hourly employees home as that is the way you save money.  You can't save labor dollars by sending salaried managers home, which again sucks because now, as a manager, I have to do an employee's closing duties as well has mine.  It's probably not their choice, but they have labor budgets that must be adhered to so they don't have much choice in the matter.

 

This place is a sinking ship, and it isn't necessarily the fault of the onsite managers.  As others have stated, in the numerous threads, you have started about this problem, there could be a lot of corporate politics going on that you don't know about or the company can be using this poor performing unit as some kind of write off.  You really should start looking for a new job if you aren't happy here as I doubt it will change.


Pete, your right!.....The chains just want their managers to know the polices and enforce the polices. The more independent thinking the management does the less control the chain has. Walmart was one of my clients. They just want their people to follow the rules, just think if the managers in every store did what they thought was right. Walmart would have been out of business many years ago. They don't care what you think, They just want you to think as they think and follow the polices in place. In many cases the salaried management will fill in during the slower times to save money. They will close down stations early and even send home the hostess. The BOH is the someway, no sales, no labor, hit the road jack........A business doesn't stay open by giving it's employees a living. The business stays open by managing costs. The OP has to realize all changes have to get approved by the head office......

post #13 of 18
If business is as poor as you say no amount of paint or advertising or change of menu is going to fix it.
There is a window of time after opening to build a guest base.
There will be busy lunch runs and usually at least one weekend nite with people waiting in the bar or standing around outside waiting to be seated.
This is your make it or break it honeymoon.
You will know when the honeymoon is over by the gradual decline in your dinner trade then lunches.
Could take months but usually starts a few weeks after opening.
May still maintain a decent bar revenue but will be the "stop on the way home for some downtime" types and usually be friends or regulars who follow your bartender.
They rarely order more than some apps and almost never move into the dining room.

Everyone on this forum has been thru this.
If they are smart and ambitious they now know the signs and dust off the CV and start pounding the streets.
It is embarrassing to have a dud on your resume.
Take the advice given.
Golden.

mimi
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcook View Post
 

Hey guys, I work in a restaurant chain as a cook / chef and they are constantly letting us go early , like after 5-6 hours. ?? They say business is slow and it has been like this for many years. Absolutely no growth and it appears to be failing..

 

lets get this in perspective... they have been running for many years, and your a line cook expecting "growth".. seriously?

 

I'm NOT sayin theres no room for growth in any business, just that you need to be realistic. it doesn't matter what you consider to be growth, or failing sales etc, your only concern is doing your job, enjoy it if you can or want to, or leave. its not your place to question the financial model or business concept you are working in. if you have ideals what the business can be then you can try your best to be a good asset to the company and be grateful if they accept your advice/help, but if they don't want to change then you have the choice to continue to do the cycle of do what you need to do, collect your pay check, and repeat.. or leave.

 

consider for a moment you work at mcdonalds, do you think they are going to take advice from a line cook about how their business model isn't making enough money because their food cost is high compared to  fine-dining establishment.. noooo because that is not their model and I'm sure McDonald knows a lot more about how to make billions in turnover across thousands of stores around the world than a line cook who has ideals. (keep in mind its not that because your a line cook that you don't have the nouse, just that its likely the way that executives would be thinking of you, from their perspective they are wondering why an employee who gets 80% and not 100% (employee of the month each and every month) on an appraisal should be taken notice of, ie your not perfect so lets all just do the job we are paid to do)

 

so while its good to have ideals and try to improve the business, its not good to let them get in the way of the real issue at hand which is your need to look after yourself by doing what is required, not expecting the management or owners to share your ideals, and who knows it may be the case that the managers which you think don't care actually do care but they have fallen victim to wanting to help a company that doesnt want it and they are just watching you as the new person and they are quietly laughing inside themselves that "here comes another one with ideals"

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 

Yeah I guess its hopeless wanting your business to thrive and do good and have your employees be happy. I will take myself somewhere else . Im working on my own place. Line cooks are nobodys 

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcook View Post

Yeah I guess its hopeless wanting your business to thrive and do good and have your employees be happy. I will take myself somewhere else . Im working on my own place. Line cooks are nobodys 

I didn't expect petulant from you.
You are emotionally attached to this place...I get that.
To be so attached that you let it drag you down is not a great thing.
Set up a handful of stages and see how it feels to work a super busy nite where you are standing on the edge of the weeds but maintaining control.
It feels great.
Yeah....feel bad for your crew cuz they have bills to pay but the best way to honor them is to urge them to start looking as well.
Then hurry because they may be in competition with you for some choice spots wink.gif
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcook View Post

Yeah I guess its hopeless wanting your business to thrive and do good and have your employees be happy. I will take myself somewhere else . Im working on my own place. Line cooks are nobodys 


I don't quite follow.....

Everyone'sbasically told you to move on, its a sinking ship. Yet it seems you won't acknowledge this. Love the place? Its too close and too comfortable for you to look elsewhere?

Look, here's another way of looking at things:

You say there are 3 lazy azz mngrs.

Who is paying them? Rule of life is, if you like what they are doing, you pay them and they stay. If you think they are lousy, you fire them.

Yet there they are. Who ever is paying them is happy with them.

Second rule of life is, the harder you argue with logic, the stupider you look.

Stop arguing and start looking for a place that actually gives a sh#t.
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcook View Post
 

Yeah I guess its hopeless wanting your business to thrive and do good and have your employees be happy. I will take myself somewhere else . Im working on my own place. Line cooks are nobodys 


 No it's not hopeless wanting your business to thrive...operative word here is "your."  This isn't your business.  You aren't an owner or even a manager.  I get it, you want the place you work at to do well, but it sounds like it is not and you are in no position to turn the place around.  When you are not in a position to make a serious impact you have 2 choices; hang out and hope they change managers and decide to salvage the place or look for another job.  For the position you hold, the advice you have been given is sound advice.  If you were a manager there then the advice you would have been given would probably have been different, at least from me.  But you are just a line cook there and as such are not in a position to make changes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Professional Chefs
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Professional Food Service › Professional Chefs › 3 lazy managers/ No business