The Restaurant at the 29 Palms Inn
We are seeking an accomplished Kitchen Manager who is passionate about food and hospitality and who brings strong management skills, knowledge of all phases of food procurement, preparation, and presentation, and the ability to inspire the best in our fine kitchen team.
The historic 29 Palms Inn, located on the Oasis of Mara, is the gateway to Joshua Tree National Park and the Mojave Preserve. Our relaxed, art-filled restaurant serves up exceptional meals featuring fresh seafood, steaks, pastas, salads, and delicious vegetarian dishes. All breads, dressings, soups, and desserts are house-made. We harvest seasonal fruit and vegetables fresh from our garden to add to our dishes. To find out more about our oasis in the desert, visit our website at www.29palmsinn.com.
Kitchen Manager Responsibilities
· Maintain open lines of communication, be approachable, provide mentoring and growth opportunities for staff, focus on excellence, build a positive work environment, and lead by example according to the Inn’s values of teamwork and hospitality.
· Provide direction to staff, ensuring compliance with the Inn’s policies and procedures. Counsel staff as needed with the direction of the General Manager (GM).
· Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
· Prepare staff schedules as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring labor cost objectives are met. Be attentive to accuracy of time cards.
· Train kitchen personnel in sanitation practices and in the safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
· Provide regular safety training to staff: first aid, CPR, lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
· Prepare all required paperwork in an organized and timely manner.
· Work collaboratively with the GM and the Inn’s Management Team, to maintain standards of excellence and hospitality toward guests and staff.
· Plan and price menu items with the GM. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
· Oversee catering. Ensure excellence in food preparation and presentation for events that take place at the Inn.
· Maintain food quality and safety standards. Oversee all phases of food procurement, including inventory and ordering, storage and rotation, refrigeration temperature control.
· Monitor food preparation, recipe adherence, plate presentation, and service and production time standards.
· Ensure that all equipment and kitchen areas are kept clean and in excellent working condition by following the Inn’s preventive maintenance programs. Prepare cleaning schedules.
· High school diploma
· Formal culinary/hospitality training (college-level or culinary school), a plus.
· Minimum 3-4 years’ cooking experience in a fine dining or upscale casual restaurant.
· Minimum 2 years’ leadership experience as a successful Kitchen Manager in a fine dining or upscale casual restaurant environment.
· Catering experience strongly desired.
· Knowledgeable about all phases of food procurement, preparation, and presentation as well as food safety and sanitation standards.
· Attentive to detail. Excellent problem solving skills. Strong organization and communication skills.
· Ability to lead and motivate a kitchen team to ensure excellent product quality and consistency while maintaining high morale.
· Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Able to maintain focus while attending to unexpected problems or emergencies that may arise.
29 Palms Inn offers competitive salary and benefits, a rewarding work environment rooted in a passion for food and hospitality, and an opportunity to make a difference in this important position. If this sounds like the career move you’ve been looking for, send your resume to email@example.com. Please let us know where you heard about our position!
No phone calls, please. Principals only, no recruiters.