or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Pastries & Baking › waffle recipe sticking to iron
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

waffle recipe sticking to iron

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hello,

 

ive been having sticking problem with this recipe. my iron is new and should be non-stick

 

the recipe i use is

 

2 scoop of whey protein

4 cups egg white

0.5 cups oats

2 bananas

 

why did it stick like this?

 

 

 

thank you

post #2 of 11
Seems really short on solids. It seems more like a nutrition shake poured in a waffle iron. Where did you get this recipe? Do you have any reference that this should work? I'm skeptical of it in just about any form.
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

I just made it up. I wanted something that is low in calories but high in protein. What can I do to fix this up? Why would it stick?

post #4 of 11

Sorry you need to learn the basics and have solid fundamentals before you start making stuff up.

 

That's true in any craft.

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaki View Post

I just made it up. I wanted something that is low in calories but high in protein. What can I do to fix this up? Why would it stick?

I don't know that it can be fixed. You'd probably have better luck with answers on a protein oriented body building site as your ingredient choices are well outside of traditional cooking.

The better question is why wouldn't it stick? Waffle irons are notorious for sticking, thus your purchase of a non-stick waffle iron. First use of a product tends to be stickier. First waffle of a batch tends to stick more--the iron isn't usually as evenly hot as it will be for later waffles in the batch. Whey powder is notorious for poor cooking behavior.

Your recipe is well outside the bounds of what would normally be put in a waffle iron. Protein tends to be sticky. You have no structure in this recipe to make it form up when cooked. You have ingredient combination that overcooked and scorched in your chosen method of cooking. Oats, if ground/powdered or well hydrated from the batter will help with structure. Beating the egg whites to soft peaks is often done with waffles. This will help leaven (make it fluffy and airy) and structure the waffle too. But the egg volume to the solids volume is off. Lots more egg than would normally be in a waffle and far less "flour" from your oats.

Carbs and protein have the same calories per gram. Don't fool yourself there.
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
post #6 of 11

I was holding my breath on this ... afraid it was a recipe from some whacky health magazine.

There are lots of quick breads out there full of ground whole grains and other good for you ingredients.

When you do come across a cookbook that looks like you might like to try... remember this...measure and add ingredients exactly as written.

Running around changing ingredients without solid, sound reasoning will just end up with off kilter products like you show above.

 

mimi

post #7 of 11
Why a waffle? Why not just have oatmeal, bananas, and egg whites?
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatch View Post


I don't know that it can be fixed. You'd probably have better luck with answers on a protein oriented body building site as your ingredient choices are well outside of traditional cooking.

The better question is why wouldn't it stick? Waffle irons are notorious for sticking, thus your purchase of a non-stick waffle iron. First use of a product tends to be stickier. First waffle of a batch tends to stick more--the iron isn't usually as evenly hot as it will be for later waffles in the batch. Whey powder is notorious for poor cooking behavior.

Your recipe is well outside the bounds of what would normally be put in a waffle iron. Protein tends to be sticky. You have no structure in this recipe to make it form up when cooked. You have ingredient combination that overcooked and scorched in your chosen method of cooking. Oats, if ground/powdered or well hydrated from the batter will help with structure. Beating the egg whites to soft peaks is often done with waffles. This will help leaven (make it fluffy and airy) and structure the waffle too. But the egg volume to the solids volume is off. Lots more egg than would normally be in a waffle and far less "flour" from your oats.

Carbs and protein have the same calories per gram. Don't fool yourself there.

 

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post

Why a waffle? Why not just have oatmeal, bananas, and egg whites?


I have a nice waffle maker that I want to be able to use to make a healthier protein packed dessert snack. I just wanted to see if I could make it cook without sticking. Its look like that wont be possible.

post #10 of 11
Cleaning a waffle iron is pretty unpleasant, too.
post #11 of 11

It is not (usually) the waffle that is "bad" for you.

It is the toppings.

 

mimi

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pastries & Baking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Pastries & Baking › waffle recipe sticking to iron