or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › October 2016 Cooking Challenge: Squash
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October 2016 Cooking Challenge: Squash

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 

Pumpkin, butternut, delicata, acorn, kabocha, spaghetti - so many varieties, and so many ways to prepare them.

 

Squash can be summer or winter, sweet or savory.  Squash can handle spices or stand on its own.

 

Looking forward to seeing some pumpkin bread, muffins, pie ... or roasted butternut soup, stuffed delicata, maybe curried red kuri! or zucchini, if that's the squash that's in season for you.

 

Let's get cooking!

 

Here's what I saw today that inspired me - all grown on a nearby farm:


Edited by summer57 - 10/1/16 at 9:27pm
post #2 of 49
Good one!
And in time for @MaryB smile.gif

Life is too short to drink bad wine
---Anonymus---

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad wine
---Anonymus---

Reply
post #3 of 49

My husband will be a happy camper this month!

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #4 of 49
Thread Starter 

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

post #5 of 49
Quote:Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post

 

My husband will be a happy camper this month!




 



So will my wife!
Edited by Hank - 10/2/16 at 9:23pm
If you make a pizza you can eat for a day.  If you make two pizzas you can eat for a day.
Reply
If you make a pizza you can eat for a day.  If you make two pizzas you can eat for a day.
Reply
post #6 of 49

Stuffed Acorn Squash

 

Tomato, farro, garlic sausage, parsley, sage, garlic, and a large acorn squash.

 

 

I halved the squash, removed the seeds and baked cut side down in a baking dish with a little water until tender.  I chopped and fried the sage, added minced garlic and chopped tomatoes.  Then I diced the sausage and mixed with cooked farro, chopped parsley, and the tomato mixture.  Finally, S and P on the squash, stuffed it, and baked until hot an bubbly.  I decided at the last minute to top with some grated parmesan.  

 

If you make a pizza you can eat for a day.  If you make two pizzas you can eat for a day.
Reply
If you make a pizza you can eat for a day.  If you make two pizzas you can eat for a day.
Reply
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
 

Stuffed Acorn Squash

 

Tomato, farro, garlic sausage, parsley, sage, garlic, and a large acorn squash.

 

 

I halved the squash, removed the seeds and baked cut side down in a baking dish with a little water until tender.  I chopped and fried the sage, added minced garlic and chopped tomatoes.  Then I diced the sausage and mixed with cooked farro, chopped parsley, and the tomato mixture.  Finally, S and P on the squash, stuffed it, and baked until hot an bubbly.  I decided at the last minute to top with some grated parmesan.  

 


Gorgeous colours!

post #8 of 49
Thread Starter 

Hank! That looks really good!

post #9 of 49

 

This photo of my garden plot was taken about a month ago, after a big windstorm blew over one of my trellises and flattened some of my roma tomatoes. All that leafy green in the foreground is from two healthy squash plants, acorn and spaghetti. Stuffed acorn squash is a favorite, as is squash soup.

 

I may actually get motivated to get an entry in this month, it has been a while.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #10 of 49

Squash in the oven - scoop seeds before or after cooking? I've always done before.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #11 of 49

Scoop seeds, cut side down in a pan with a tiny bit of water to help steam the inside, when tender flip and fill, I prefer butter and brown sugar.

post #12 of 49

I hate all gourds but pumpkin seeds are okay I guess. I made this "naan" with some stale pumpkin beer I had in my growler from the weekend, greek yogurt, salt, sugar, yeast.   

 

Plating is kind of rubbish because I burned my hand on a cast iron skillet handle.  (note to self get real oven mitts)

 

On top I brush it with butter and za'atar,  some cucumber raita,  roasted orange cauliflower and pumpkin seeds

 

post #13 of 49
Thread Starter 

Pumpkin beer - great idea to use it with a flatbread!  Reminds me of Indian naan with the orange cauliflower, looks a bit like a curry.  Really challenging to cook with an ingredient you're not keen on. Looks good to me!

post #14 of 49
Thanks! Oh yeah this was grilled on a clay pot grill with hardwood lump. Full blast all the time no vents no lid, like cooking on a rocket stove.
post #15 of 49
Thread Starter 

Like a Tandoor! Great idea!

post #16 of 49

Roasted butternut squash, cauliflower and new potatoes, with garlic and marjoram.  Brown butter and sage pork chop.

 

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #17 of 49
Thread Starter 

Beautiful! I love the sear on the pork and the caramelization on the roasted veg. And your plating is really nice. I think I need to make this!

post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsKnives View Post
 

I hate all gourds but pumpkin seeds are okay I guess. I made this "naan" with some stale pumpkin beer I had in my growler from the weekend, greek yogurt, salt, sugar, yeast.   

 

Plating is kind of rubbish because I burned my hand on a cast iron skillet handle.  (note to self get real oven mitts)

 

On top I brush it with butter and za'atar,  some cucumber raita,  roasted orange cauliflower and pumpkin seeds

 

 

 
 I also dislike most gourds. But it looks like you have done a good job here! I like the za'atar and roasted orange cauliflower. Recipe for roasted orange cauliflower please!

post #19 of 49

Thanks for the squash idea, it got me jump started into practicing gnocchi again.  Mine are usually a little toothy but at least they're homemade.  This combo is a bit old school but:

 

Butternut squash gnocchi with shallots, mushrooms and spinach; fried sage

Parmesan crisp with black pepper and piment d'Espelette

 

 


Edited by rpooley - 10/19/16 at 6:32am
post #20 of 49

Finally made my way to the shops and squash season seems to be over....

The gem squash were looking old and yellowish, there was no pumpkin, so I had to go for butternut....

Now I need to decide what to do with it.

I was thinking of doing something on the BBQ, but it is way above 40 oC here (between 100 and 110 F for the metrically challenged), so I may have to rethink this.

Ah, decisions, decisions......

Life is too short to drink bad wine
---Anonymus---

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad wine
---Anonymus---

Reply
post #21 of 49

Well, Like @MillionsKnives I'm not a fan of squash - except for marrow! I think that in the US its called summer squash? At any rate, it seems to be available most of the year in the UK. I've always loved its subtle fragrant taste. A lot of people hate it it and consider it watery and overblown. But to my mind its open texture soaks up flavour much better than the tight fleshed courgette (zucchini).

I made this dish using dried limes. In case you don't know of them they are dried whole (the black round things in the photo) and can be used intact or ground.

 

Firstly, this is what in the UK is called marrow:

 


 And here is the dish: Yukon Gold potatoes, charred red peppers and marrow, turmeric, dried limes, tomato:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzy View Post
 

Finally made my way to the shops and squash season seems to be over....

The gem squash were looking old and yellowish, there was no pumpkin, so I had to go for butternut....

Now I need to decide what to do with it.

I was thinking of doing something on the BBQ, but it is way above 40 oC here (between 100 and 110 F for the metrically challenged), so I may have to rethink this.

Ah, decisions, decisions......


Gosh! I can't imagine it being so hot. I'd just wilt and die. Butternut is very versatile. I like the idea of charring it on the BBQ...

post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpooley View Post
 

Thanks for the squash idea, it got me jump started into practicing gnocchi again.  Mine are usually a little toothy but at least they're homemade.  This combo is a bit old school but:

 

Butternut squash gnocchi with shallots, mushrooms and spinach; fried sage

Parmesan crisp with black pepper and piment d'Espelette

 

 


I'm admiring that sage and parmesan crisp. Nice!

post #24 of 49

@morning glory    Very nice squash usage.  


Edited by rpooley - 10/20/16 at 3:43pm
post #25 of 49

Fascinating about those limes.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post
 

Fascinating about those limes.


Can you get them over there? On another forum, I once posted some to someone in Italy as they couldn't get them. There's an offer for you!

post #27 of 49
Thread Starter 

I've seen dried limes in Persian specialty stores here in Vancouver. I don't know if they're the same as Italiann dried limes, though.

post #28 of 49
@morning glory I've never seen them here but I've also never looked for them.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer57 View Post
 

I've seen dried limes in Persian specialty stores here in Vancouver. I don't know if they're the same as Italiann dried limes, though.


They aren't Italian. The thing was that my friend in Italy couldn't obtain them, so I sent her some. Persian dried limes is what they are! Also available in the UK from Asian stores (I think possibly they are produced in India too).

post #30 of 49

Butternut Squash Pasta Bake

 

 

(not one of my better photographs of a dish, but...)

 

cooked Cavatappi pasta

roasted and diced Butternut Squash

diced and browned Pancetta

with Shallots

loads of fresh Sage leaves from my window garden

some milk and Parmesan cheese

freshly ground black pepper

toss gently, place in an appropriately sized casserole dish

and top with some fresh bread crumbs and more cheese (maybe a bit of butter, but shhhh we don't tell DH)

bake until heated through

and that's supper!!

add a side green salad, some fresh baked bread and a glass (or three) of wine and I'm happy.

DH loved this and he "claims" to dislike any squash ... 

hmmm, we'll make this again, thank you very much!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › October 2016 Cooking Challenge: Squash