or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Authentic paella in the news
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Authentic paella in the news

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Apparently jamie Oliver is getting pounded on social media over his version of paella. He scandalously uses chorizo!!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37555389?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #2 of 24

Hahaha the tweets are pretty funny. My favorite one: 

 

My version of fish and chips combines aubergines with duck. 

 

Meanwhile I'm stunned to learn the existence of http://wikipaella.org and am going to see if I can get it auto translated in google. 

post #3 of 24

Reference my thread on thickening a clam chowder. That's all the evidence one needs to know that food faces a heavy bias. We're not allowed to go outside the bounds of "authentic" cuisine.. and yet no one would necessarily agree on what is authentic.

I think part of the question has to be.. is it our responsibility to pass on the originating information when we create a derivative? If I call something a curry.. but I introduce my own ideas.. am I perhaps inappropriately changing this term "curry"? Is it mine to change?

post #4 of 24

Chorizo doesn't bother me that much.  Spices, ingredients, etc are bound to change even region to region.  But it's in a deep pot instead of a paella pan or even a a big cast iron skillet to get the crunchy rice bits.  Seems like a fluffy rice scramble more than a paella IMO

post #5 of 24
So I suppose sausage in paella is a no-no too?????
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

So I suppose sausage in paella is a no-no too?????

 

If Chorizo is forbidden I'm sure other sausage is too?

post #7 of 24
I suppose you may be right. But who's going to let Jose Andres know that his paella recipe isn't authentic.
post #8 of 24

Who dies and made him the paella king? There are thousands of recipes with sausage online.

post #9 of 24
Oliver's method is odd. Chorizo is hardly a failure if you're not claiming a particular region.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 24

Interesting that none of the authentic recipes on http://wikipaella.org use a sofrito, which is often touted as indispensable for paella. 

post #11 of 24
What a surprise--French Fries and I agree again!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 24

I don't know if it is authentic but I use Chorizo when making paella.  I use the Iberian peninsula type rather than the Mexican type.   I could not remember whether chorizo was Portuguese or Spanish.  There does seem to be a lot of recipes using sausage.  I have had paella that used sausage that overpowered the seaafood.

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimyra View Post
 

I don't know if it is authentic but I use Chorizo when making paella.  I use the Iberian peninsula type rather than the Mexican type.   I could not remember whether chorizo was Portuguese or Spanish.  There does seem to be a lot of recipes using sausage.  I have had paella that used sausage that overpowered the seaafood.

"Spanish" chorizo only; never raw Mexican chorizo.

 

To me this is just another one of those "regional purity" discussions. I'm not Spanish and don't care too much about which version is more authentic but my understanding is that there are two basic types: seafood paella and meat-based (predominantly chicken and chorizo) paella. I don't mix the two even though some may.  I know that some folks also used rabbit or snails or other stuff, but when I last discussed this with a Valencian friend he generally concurred with this impression. There's another fight, though: orange-wood fire cooked versus stovetop.

post #14 of 24

Valencia orange wood doesn't grow around here.  Actually no oranges grow here it's too cold!

post #15 of 24

I guess I'll be safe and PC and call what I make rice dish cooked in a pan.  The only time I have eaten paella out was at  Bobby Flay's it was OK and mixed meat and seafood.  What does Bobby Flay know he is from New York.

post #16 of 24

"Authentic" is a stupid word. Isn't paella a peasant dish?!? You need some really big shoes to just go out and challenge Jamie Oliver.

post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post
 

You need some really big shoes to just go out and challenge Jamie Oliver.

 

Nah they didn't challenge him, they are just facebook trolling.  Most of the people commenting don't even cook.

post #18 of 24
Actually talking about paella, I was thinking to make one. Does anyone have the best recipe ? I will really appreciate it. Thanks.
post #19 of 24

I have the suspicion that I may be the only Action Bronson fan on Chef Talk.

Yeah ... him and his boys can whip out burp and fart jokes at will, but at the end of the day.... Bronson and his crewe are surprisingly intelligent when it comes to their palates.

When they are not eating they are talking about eating.

Then at the end of that segment...ya gotcha words.

 

http://www.vice.com/read/tonight-on-viceland-fuck-thats-delicious-barcelona

 

mimi

 

Ya gotta watch it in order to understand how this entourage is spelling out the American Dream in food and rhyme.

There is the smoke but they are fairly quiet about how they get all of those calories in.

What we sacrifice for art lol.

 

m.

post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukelevi View Post

Actually talking about paella, I was thinking to make one. Does anyone have the best recipe ? I will really appreciate it. Thanks.


You can translate the recipes from wikipaella using Google. Here's the translation of the first recipe: 

 

400 gr. La Bomba rice Faller (DO Valencia)

500 gr. Chicken (two pieces of 60 gr. Approx. Per person)

500 gr. Rabbit (two pieces of 60 gr. Approx. Per person)

150 gr. Duck (a piece of 35 gr. Approx. Per person), fried and cooked separately.

200 gr. "Tavella" clean - paella white beans (800g with scabbard.)

200 gr. It garrofó clean - flat white bean paella (1 Kg with scabbard.)

200 gr. "Ferradura" - flat green beans

1 large ripe tomato grated

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

Crocus flower

Colorant

Salt

300 gr. Pre-baked snails

120 ml. AOVE - extra virgin olive oil

Water (2 to 3 parts per each rice)

Duck broth (2 parts per each rice)

The recommended paella is 45 cm in diameter

 

  1. With the paella over low heat, pour oil and add a little salt.
  2. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken and rabbit.
  3. Add the vegetables clean, cut and threshed, to keep them well rehogadas.
  4. Fry the chopped garlic, paprika and grated tomato.
  5. Pour water and duck broth.
  6. Boil for at least 10 minutes, during this time add the chopped duck (one piece per person) and put the point of saffron, coloring and salt.
  7. Add the snails and well distributed rice.
  8. Cook the first 5 minutes over high heat.
  9. Then down to medium heat.
  10. And the last 4 or 5 minutes over very low heat (total of 18 to 20 minutes of cooking).
  11. Reduce heat to gradually turn fire embers and get the cherished "socarrat".
  12. Stand 5 minutes before serving

Edited by French Fries - 10/6/16 at 10:51am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post
 

"Authentic" is a stupid word. Isn't paella a peasant dish?!? You need some really big shoes to just go out and challenge Jamie Oliver.

 

What size shoe you wear, @IceMan ?

Me it depends...7 if it is wide 7.5-8 if not.

Me? I prefer the wider ones.

With meatball cages on bottom.

 

mimi

post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopgirl View Post
 

I have the suspicion that I may be the only Action Bronson fan on Chef Talk.

Yeah ... him and his boys can whip out burp and fart jokes at will, but at the end of the day.... Bronson and his crewe are surprisingly intelligent when it comes to their palates.

When they are not eating they are talking about eating.

Then at the end of that segment...ya gotcha words.

 

http://www.vice.com/read/tonight-on-viceland-fuck-thats-delicious-barcelona

 

mimi

 

Ya gotta watch it in order to understand how this entourage is spelling out the American Dream in food and rhyme.

There is the smoke but they are fairly quiet about how they get all of those calories in.

What we sacrifice for art lol.

 

m.

 

Love that guy!

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #23 of 24

I'm making paella tonight. In a sauté pan, mixing chicken, mussels and shrimps, using smoked pimenton, and... oh nooooo!!! I completely forgot to buy chorizo!! My wife is seriously pissed. Paella without chorizo? What was I thinking?

 

So I tried to sell her the argument that "real, authentic paella from Valencia never had chorizo", but I'm afraid she's not buying it. Hence the smoked paprika.

 

Hey, at least I used real saffron.

post #24 of 24

@French Fries: did you notice the google translation wants you to use crocus flower....... :rolleyes:

 

At least you are using saffron :thumb:

Life is too short to drink bad wine
---Anonymus---

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad wine
---Anonymus---

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Authentic paella in the news