or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › General Discussions › The Late Night Cafe (off-topic) › Online "meat markets" searching for a good product for a fair price....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Online "meat markets" searching for a good product for a fair price....

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

My 83 year old MIL is impossible to buy for this year.

The fisherman suggested just sending an assortment of steaks but other than the Omaha? peeps (they totally disappointed us about a decade ago) I have no clue.

She is totally opposed to gift cards.

Any suggestions?

 

mimi

post #2 of 11

Have you checked out Harris Ranch?

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

I came to the realization that the MIL prefers her meat cooked wellwellwell done.

Told the fisherman I refused to throw good money after bad.

Suggested a nice Virginia ham instead.

Kinda scared to ask what he ended up sending.

 

Thanks @cheflayne ...

 

mimi

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopgirl View Post
 

 MIL prefers her meat cooked wellwellwell done.

 

Perhaps Zappos then.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #5 of 11

I like the idea of a Virginia or country ham.  can't overcook it.  

Scott just a tired old sailor glad to be home from the sea
Reply
Scott just a tired old sailor glad to be home from the sea
Reply
post #6 of 11

Mimi-

 

You're in Texas, so I assume country hams are available locally.  You probably know already, but they must be salted, smoked, and hung to cure for at least one year to be country ham.  If they're not available locally, I can send you links for some reliable smokehouses in Kentucky, Tennessee, or other southern states.  Smithfield, of course, is the industrial version, and it's good, but I prefer the work of small, artisanal smokehouses.

 

Mike  

and, hey...

Merry Christmas! :beer: 

travelling gourmand
Reply
travelling gourmand
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLM View Post
 

Mimi-

 

You're in Texas, so I assume country hams are available locally.  You probably know already, but they must be salted, smoked, and hung to cure for at least one year to be country ham.  If they're not available locally, I can send you links for some reliable smokehouses in Kentucky, Tennessee, or other southern states.  Smithfield, of course, is the industrial version, and it's good, but I prefer the work of small, artisanal smokehouses.

 

Mike  

and, hey...

Merry Christmas! :beer: 

 

You are right about the local hams.

Several smokehouses around and that is where I do my shopping but for some reason when I want to impress I always think Virginia.

Prolly because my dad's people are there and my mom always got such a thrill when someone sent one.

Altho way back then food was rarely shipped (for us commoners anyways) so maybe I should say brought instead of sent, right?

She worked on it for days with all the soaking and scrubbing.

I am not much for really salty foods but a sliver on a tiny biscuit was not a treat I ever turned down.

 

mimi

 

He ended up sending a mixed package...a few steaks with one of those tiny branding irons.

A Texas thing lol.

m.

post #8 of 11

https://www.flannerybeef.com

 

Rather pricey, but I don't think there is any better.

post #9 of 11

Yeah, Mimi...

 

With all the "soaking and scrubbing" it sounds like the real thing.  When I first tasted one at age four, at my father's family's farm near Cape Girardeau, I announced that I didn't want to eat anything else for the rest of my life.

 

The closest I've been able to come to that wish is to order one for each Christmas for the last thirty or so years.  We're gnawing on one this year from Tennessee, and I hope it lasts 'till March or April. This time of year, it keeps just fine outside on the porch.

 

Hope you had a great Christmas!

 

Mike

and, Happy New Year!  :peace:

travelling gourmand
Reply
travelling gourmand
Reply
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLM View Post
 

Yeah, Mimi...

 

With all the "soaking and scrubbing" it sounds like the real thing.  When I first tasted one at age four, at my father's family's farm near Cape Girardeau, I announced that I didn't want to eat anything else for the rest of my life.

 

The closest I've been able to come to that wish is to order one for each Christmas for the last thirty or so years.  We're gnawing on one this year from Tennessee, and I hope it lasts 'till March or April. This time of year, it keeps just fine outside on the porch.

 

Hope you had a great Christmas!

 

Mike

and, Happy New Year!  :peace:

 

 

Back to you... and thanks for setting me straight re the OTHER states that produce nice product.

Never even occurred to me.

Ding-dong....

 

mimi

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppo Shanski View Post
 

https://www.flannerybeef.com

 

Rather pricey, but I don't think there is any better.

 

Beautiful meat.

The prices are not that much higher either.

Thanks for the link.

 

mimi

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › General Discussions › The Late Night Cafe (off-topic) › Online "meat markets" searching for a good product for a fair price....