rehydration of mushrooms
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
You definitely could, but how often are you rehydrating mushrooms? I don't know that I would want to keep that water, even sitting in my fridge, for weeks or months on end between uses as I usually use fresh mushrooms and only use dried on rare occasions. Even if using it regularly I probably wouldn't use it more than 2-3 times. I think that it would get a bit "funky."
I'll second Mike9's suggestion; I often strain the liquid then use, at least a portion of that liquid in whatever I am making. In winter, I often make a ragout of Sausage and Dried Mushrooms to put over pasta. After I sauté my onions, in the fat rendered off of the Italian sausage, I will deglaze the pan with mixture of red wine and the mushroom water. I feel that it adds a depth to the flavor.
If it doesn't go into the dish itself, I'll often put it in the soup stock for the soup in an Asian dinner.
Yesterday though, I discarded it as it didn't fit in the meal anywhere.
mushroom water could overpower the dish with its woody flavour! Also the flavour from fresh water should be enough! as the water doesnt really have any umami flavour to it, just the woody bit!