Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I purchased The Perfect Match last week. I'm glad it's on the list! :)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
So many cookbooks I never saw, so many cookbooks I want...

I hope The Bread Baker's Apprentice win.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've borrowed the All-American Cookie Book from the library a few times, but I haven't been that impressed. The recipes are ok but not spectacular. It's mostly just a big, beautiful book -- nice pictures. I want the Pierre Herme Chocolate Book, but I'm waiting for a good deal. I've been eating Wild Mushroom Ciabatta all week, so of course, I love Bread Baker's Apprentice.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Good to see Saveur mentioned. I think it's terribly underrated and "written off" because of it's slick appearance. Truth be told, I think I've made the most recipes out of Saveur than I have out of any other magazine. The pictures definitely entice a reader to make the recipes. I love the ethnic nature of Saveur. I quit getting Gourmet and Bon Ap because they've become one long advertisement.

I'll say this - the James Beard site is a pain in the @$$ to navigate. I'd rather have seen each category listed so I didn't have to click 25 hyperlinks to see a 3 entry list of nominees each.

Can you believe someone at GQ magazine knows enough about food writing to get nominated for one of these awards? I think that's wonderful - that food discussion is getting integrated into mainstream American writing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Risa-
I've had the All-American Cookie book out from the library, too - and was very underwhelmed. Even the print and typeface were pains. I need tyo ook at the site (which is a huge pain) to see how the nominees are chosen. Are the Beards really that political? Or how does soemthing that doesn't equal a women'd magazine get such recognition?
Pierre Hermes is, of course, Pierre Hermes - but I liked his first book better than his chocolate book - although teh chocolate puff pastry was fun to make, and I liked the heavy chocolate cake batter with potato starch as a base for mousses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.