Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
844 Posts
I know I'm not supposed to post here, but I have a relevant question. 

Almond flour, from what I understand, is blended almonds. 

I make almond milk, which requires soaking almonds overnight, draining, and blending with fresh water. I put flavor additives like dates while blending, but then I'm left with almond extract after squeezing out the "milk." I've dried it and tried making pancakes but it isn't like flour at all. More like a paste. 

I know this isn't the topic, but any suggestions on what to do with it after it's dried and is a powder?

· Banned
844 Posts
@jake t buds Great question. I make my own almond milk as well which produces an almond meal that you have to dry out and then process in a processor to get it to a consistency like almond flour. If you are adding dates to your blend however, it will change up that consistency as there is lots of sugar in dates so you will not be able to dry it out and process to work like almond flour. If it was me, I would be experimenting with the meal/date leftover to see if I could make energy bars or cookies......maybe even some brownie action?? One never knows until you try right!!

Let us know if you do experiment and how it turns out!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
Actually, I add the dates after straining the milk when it goes into the blender the second time, so no sugars go into the almond meal. I dry it in a closed oven on a sheet pan, and then blitz it and then it goes through a sieve.

So far, everything we've made with it has been very, very, dense. I'll look up some energy bars recipe's, but I never considered it "flour."

Still open for suggestions. . .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.