Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was searching for failed almond milk yogurt advice and found your post.  I had the same separation problem and I used a vegan powdered yogurt starter that I bought at Whole Foods.  Please tell me your almond milk recipe.  I soak 1 cup raw almonds in water, add 3 cups water and blend, and then press through a strainer bag?  So you had no problem with separation when you made your yogurt with the homemade almond milk?  Did you use pectin or agar?  I'm curious.  I'm a vegan and hoping for good results.  This will be my 4th attempt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, since my post last month I've attempted vegan yogurt a few more times.  I bought starter from Cultures for Health (vegan) and pectin (which was recommended in their recipe).  The pectin comes with a little packet of calcium that you make calcium water with and then use just a teaspoon in your batch.  

I've had some wild results.  The best result I had was with coconut milk, but it came out more like a gelatin than a creamy yogurt consistency.  It was too stiff, not too tart (which was what I was going for...a tart yogurt).

So the next batch, I stuck with the coconut milk.  Used the pectin but no calcium water (as I read that if the milk already has calcium in it, you can forego the calcium to make a thinner yogurt.).  Okay, everything was cool...and then after the 8 hours,  I check and the yogurt had not set...totally watery and clumpy.  never set.

So I went with a soy milk - I'm a 2x breast cancer survivor...so I try to limit my soy...but a little is fine.  So tried the soy....followed directions. Brought the milk up to 140, let it cool to 110 to add the starter....prior to that used a small amount in my blender of just milk and added the pectin....then incorporated the 110 degree milk to the pectin put it in the jars to incubate (im using a eurocuisine yogurt maker.  Next thing I notice the yogurt is popping up, out of the jar....whatever liquid that has separated is all over the bottom of the yogurt maker.  The yogurt is more like a custard, with pockets of air in between....and the taste is like...fizzy.  weird.  I'm guessing yeasty?  Started over.

Sterilized everything.  Next attempt was using soy and coconut milks combined since I had left over from my attempts.  I read that it's okay to combine.  This time, did the same thing, totally sterile...everything cool.  And again...same type of result.  custardy, yeasty "yogurt".  Yuck. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo.......at this point, i'm thinking maybe it's not me.  I check my yogurt maker and feel the temp on the bottom.  Even though I had put my jars on a hot pad in the yogurt maker, the bottom of the maker was HOT!!! (not 110 degrees).  

So I sent it back to Macy's for refund. 

:::sigh:::

back to square one.  

Anyone make yogurt using probiotic capsules for starter?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.