Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a toaster oven in the kitchen. Living alone it doesn't make sense to turn on the oven to reheat a couple slices of pizza, but there are certain foods that simply do not reheat in a microwave very well. So toward the end of the year I am considering replacing my current over the range microwave with something that has the toaster and convection roasting abilities. I could get rid of the toaster oven and depending on how well it worked for roasting and baking I could see it becoming more useful to me than the large oven for many things.

I've looked around and seen some interesting features. Some of them have the ability to steam. But I have not seen any that appeared to have actual toasting elements unless those are hidden behind the convection fans. If you've seen the commercial toaster microwaves that places like Subway use, I was thinking it would be ideal to get something that could function like that.

So I thought I'd ask the cheftalk community if any of you have experience with such an appliance? The ones I've found so far look to be between $400 and $600. The higher priced units don't appear to have any additional cooking utility but have things like mobile apps, smart features, sensors (like a sound sensor for popcorn.. which is just about useless to me).

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost no homes that I have ever been in have ventilation hoods going to the outside. I've seen that discussion before, but we're not talking about a complete kitchen remodel here. It would just be replacing the existing over the range microwave which has a ventilation (re-circulation) fan w/ grease traps. The home is 10 years old and there is no sign of issues with grease in the kitchen. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I'm just ranting here and I can't see you doing anything different at this point. But please don't take the attitude that that's the way the house was built so it must be OK. Just because some cheap ass builder did it that way doesn't make it right- or safe. Next time you look to buy a house you'll know better.
I don't disagree with you at all. I will say that it is likely a regional thing though. I live in FL and we have almost no natural gas services. Those that do have gas appliances tend to have in ground tanks and have to have companies come out and fill them up. Gas seems to be extremely common with states in the North whereas most homes in Florida are completely electric (kitchen, hot water heater, heat pump, etc.)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one of these next to the kitchen (open floor model) and it auto senses the air .. so I do know your point about the vapors and oil is legitimate. It will crank up to 100% and filter the air if I am hard frying something or sometimes just from doing something like sweating vegetables. It's better than nothing.

Rectangle Gas Gadget Metal Electric blue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.