Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
Take this for whatever you think it's worth, but my opinion is the only thing that belongs over a range is an outdoor ducted ventilation hood. There are microwaves that have a recirculating non-vented hood (which are crap). I doubt that any combo unit you are thinking about would come in that configuration but with consumer stuff I could be wrong, but that doesn't make them any good.

Those countertop combo microwave/convection ovens you mention are big$$$.

You might want to look at a countertop convection oven like this https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-co-16-half-size-countertop-convection-oven-1-5-cu-ft-120v-1600w/177CO16 120.html

· Registered
834 Posts
Almost no homes that I have ever been in have ventilation hoods going to the outside. I've seen that discussion before, but we're not talking about a complete kitchen remodel here. It would just be replacing the existing over the range microwave which has a ventilation (re-circulation) fan w/ grease traps. The home is 10 years old and there is no sign of issues with grease in the kitchen. Thanks for the input though.
I understand that you don't want to make drastic changes but don't make a bad situation worse. I find it the height of stupidity that building codes require ventilation fans is bathrooms and are very specific about size and how they are to be vented to the outside. Yet nothing is required for kitchens where there's much more of an issue with water vapor and even more importantly with carbon monoxide. Funny too how everybody talks about the dangers of a blocked vent on a gas water heater and how the CO can kill, but nobody considers that a typical gas range can have even more BTUs and is vented nowhere.

I know I'm just ranting here and I can't see you doing anything different at this point. But please don't take the attitude that that's the way the house was built so it must be OK. Just because some cheap ass builder did it that way doesn't make it right- or safe. Next time you look to buy a house you'll know better.

· Registered
834 Posts
Electric ranges do not negate the requirement for proper ventilation. You don't have CO to consider but you still have fumes and water vapor that carry throughout the house. Shame on any builder that cuts corners with one of those microwave/vent hood things. Not only are they a PITA to replace they should be illegal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.