Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a large jar of arrowroot starch, and would like to use is as a substitute for corn starch to thicken sauces (I use corn starch to reduce the fat content compared to a roux-thickened sauce).

Does anyone know if I should alter the quantity, and by how much?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Arrowroot is actually one of the better thickeners. It's fat-free and easy to digest, and flavorless. It will thicken at a low temperature and according to some sources, it has twice the thickening power of wheat flour.

Keep it in an airtight container and use within 2 months because its thickening ability begins to diminish with age.

Put 1 1/2 t. arrowroot in 1 T. cold water. Stir or whisk the cold mixture into 1 cup hot liquid at the end of cooking time. Stir until thickened, about 5 seconds. These proportions will make about 1 cup of medium-thick sauce, soup, or gravy. For thinner sauce, use 1 t. arrowroot. For thicker, use up to 1 T.

To replace cornstarch: Use 1 T. arrowroot in place of 2 t. cornstarch.

To replace flour: Use half as much arrowroot as flour. If the recipes calls for 1 T. flour, substitute 1 1/2 t. arrowroot.

Stir until just combined. If you overstir, it can make it thin again.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
I use this often, as I'm cutting back on starch and this seems to work with a smaller amount.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another good thing about arrowroot is that it cooks out clear so it is ideal to thicken stocks and things like lemon juice/ sugar solutions when you want a crystal clear presentation.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.