Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of us in the northern hemisphere, tomatoes should be ripening on our gardens.

Food Plum tomato Fruit Plant Seedless fruit

Like this tiny gem I picked, my first of the season!

So cook something with tomatoes. Or not cook, a caprese salad involves no heat. Use your fresh harvest, use canned tomatoes, use any sort of tomato product you so desire. Make something involving this delicious fruit of the vine. Do your best!

And from what I can tell, the last time we did tomatoes was back in 2013, when Chrisbelgium hosted the challenge in August of that year. So it's been a while. Get those creative juices flowing! From a bloody mary to a gazpacho to a lasagna to a simple BLT, show us what you can do!

And of course, here are the rules.

he challenge begins on the 1st. Or whatever day the winner finds out they are the winner. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.

• You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Enjoy!

mjb.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
My southern hemisphere tomatoes are growing as well, some almost fimished, some just starting.
Will post soon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tomatoes. French Sauce Tomate, or Italian meat ragu, decisions, decisions. And, once the sauce is made, how am I going to use it? Of course, everything has to be from scratch. That's how I roll. I know what I'll be making. I need to determin if a mother sauce, or one of the small sauces would be better than an Italian ragu, marinara, or bolagnese would better pair with the recipe. We shall see. And which meat would be better, Italian Sausage, or ground beef?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Tomato chicken curry, sort of chicken tikka massala.

I had a lot of tomatoes and still some left over chicken from the grill challenge, so combining those seemed the way to go.

The tomatoes are divided over 2 bowls as I wasn't sure how many I was going to use. 1 bowl had tomatoes that were burst a bit while picking, the others could keep a day or what longer.
Then garlic, chili, ginger, curry powder & garam massala and onions

Tableware Liquid Ingredient Food Natural foods

Food Ingredient Staple food Recipe Cookware and bakeware

Ginger, garlic and chili's all chopped up
Plant Petal Twig Cuisine Jewellery

And they went in with the onions.
So did the cooked chicken, but you'll have to imagine chicken as I forgot to take a picture.
Then went to get the yoghurt from the fridge and it wasn't there!
I was sure I had a tub, but it turned out to be sausage casings in brine. Not a good substitute!
I did have coconut cream, so that went in instead.
Food Ingredient Fast food Recipe Cookware and bakeware

Then I let it simmer/boil to reduce and get the flavours well mingled
Food Recipe Ingredient Cookware and bakeware Oil

Then added salt & a dash of red wine vinegar as I felt that was missing.

And served with just before serving some lemon juice (crooked sentence, I know)
Food Tableware White rice Stew Recipe

It turned out real good. A real satisfying meal ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wanted to make Cannelloni, but couldn't find either the shells, or fresh pasta sheets. So i made lasagna instead. It came out very tasty. Everyone, especially my oldest grandson loved it. Cherry and grape tomatoes have sweet, ripe flavor, fresh from the grocers. I had to have that, and fresh Parmigiana Reggiano. I thought I had fresh onion. There was none in the house. I had to use onion powder. Here's how the lasagna was made.

1 + 1/2 pkgs. lasagna noodles
1 lb. 80/20 ground beef
1 lb. mild Italian Sausage
1 clam shell fresh cherry tomatoes
24 oz. can crushed tomatoes
3 large cloves fresh garlic, peeled and finely minced
16 oz. tub small curd, 4% cottage cheese
8 oz. finely grated Parmigiana Reggiano
1 tbs. dried parsley
1 tbs. dried basil
1 tbs. dried oregano😏
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tbs. black pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup water.

Place ground beef, and Italian sausage in large pot over medium-high heat. Add all herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and let cook to ten minutes. Remove the lid and break up the meat, stirring to mix the herbs in well. cook until the moisture is reduced by half. Add the cherry tomatoes. Cover, and reduce het to medium. Cook for ten minutes.

Stir the tomatoes into the meat. Add the crushed tomato. Cover, and simmer for twenty minutes, stirring occasionally. This lets all of the flavors bloom, and flavor the sauce. I like my sauce over-spiced, so as to stand up to the cheeses. Taste and correct the seasonings. My sauce needed another tsp. of dried oregano.

pray your lasagna pan with cooking spray. Cover the bottom with sauce, no meat. Lay down a thick layer of the meat sauce, followed by plenty of cottage cheese. Add 2nd layer of noodles, meat sauce, and cottage cheese. Repeat with one more layer. Top the last layer of noodles with remaining sauce and cottage cheese. Tightly cover lasagna pan with heavy duty foil. Bake for one hour at 350' F.. The extra liquid from the added water is absorbed by the noodles, making the tender, and resulting in a thick, and rich sauce. When the time has elapsed, remove the foil, and sprinkle the Parmigiana Reggiano evenly over the top. Place back into the oven for ten minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from the oven and let rest for ten minutes. Serve with a simple green salad with a good balsamic vinegar salad dressing. Enjoy. Oh, and I like the flavor of the cottage cheese more than I do ricotta. But that's just me.

Food Fluid Ingredient Drink Liquid
Food Plant Fruit Seedless fruit Natural foods
Food Ingredient Recipe Mixture Cookware and bakeware
Food Ingredient Tableware Recipe Cuisine
Food Ingredient Recipe Stew Tableware
Food Ingredient Recipe Baked goods Dish
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish
Food Tableware Aluminium foil Cake Recipe
Food Tableware Kitchen utensil Fork Recipe
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Produce

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know what happened. I inserted each picture only on time. Part of the txt was cut off, and the pictures displayed several times. I'm happy I didn't have problems with the lasagna. Also, i couldn't find an edit option to correct the post. I hope everyone enjoys the lasagna anyway.

Seeeeya; GWNorth668

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
At least now we know there is no limit to the amount of pictures per post :) :)
Lovely looking lasagna

·
Premium Member
9,951 Posts
RE: Pasta for cannelloni
Use the no bake lasagna noodles. They yield a flat sheet when cooked. boil 5 minutes to prep. Fill and bake as usual.

Click/ tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner of your postto access the edit feature. If I were on my PC I'd edit it for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
RE: Pasta for cannelloni
Use the no bake lasagna noodles. They yield a flat sheet when cooked. boil 5 minutes to prep. Fill and bake as usual.

Click/ tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner of your postto access the edit feature. If I were on my PC I'd edit it for you.
I used the edit function to delete all of the pictures, the used the insert image function to reload them into the post..I got the same results, multiple copies of the pictures. Ah well, it is what it is:unsure:

Seeeeya; gwnort668

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
In this dish the sweet, orange cherry tomatoes are a garnish for cavatappi with fresh garlic scape pesto. garlic Scapes, basil, parley, romano, evoo, salt and of course garlic. A delicious pesto for a cool dish on a hot Summer day.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
It's been a long week at the brewery, but we started early and finished by 1pm. I remembered one of my locals had little neck clams for $23/50 count so I looked up their number on my phone and called and talked to my guy Vinnie. We put 100 aside for me and I left and got 50 for me and 50 for my bud along with $12/doz. oysters (for tomorrow). I made a fresh tomato sauce - garlic, peperoncino, tmato paste, white wine, de-seeded plumb tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. When the pasta was almost there I added the clams and some fresh basil. Took out the clams and finished the pasta in the 'sugo". What a nice sweet, briny sauce it turned into.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
My sponteneous cherry tomato got tired, so I had to pull it.
Got 2 of these full:
Food Rangpur Plant Ingredient Natural foods

So that's going to be green tomato chutney, sweet and sour green tomatoes or green chili tomato paste.
The red ones...
I don't know yet. Got a lot of them frozen whole and blended, cooked down and frozen, blended in the fridge and of course in chili pastes. Just haven't made pictures

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm tired and empty tonight so needed something comforting. The whole plate was perfect and I think I made the best tasting omelette of my life tonight. For two - three eggs beaten well, grated 4yr. aged cheddar, ham sliced small, drop of dijon, pepper, bit of thyme. Two slices of thick bacon, four slides of baguette, and the star of the show - beautiful orange cherry tomatoes. Everything is resting at room temperature. Bacon first, drain drippings, in go the tomatoes with a little salt and pepper, butter a warm pan then add the eggs and mix till it starts to set. Next I added the cheese and the ham and making sure the edges were not sticking too much, the butter in the tomato pan then the bread down.
I folded and sliced the omelette then completed the dish. Very creamy in the middle just the way we like it.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Plant Food Fruit Plum tomato Natural foods

Not the best looking tomatoes, but hopefully these carbon will ripen soon. I've been snacking on honey drop cherry tomatoes for a while, they are tasty.

About halfway through and some good looking dishes showing up. Keep up the good work folks!

mjb.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts