Chef Forum banner

Authentic paella in the news

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  butzy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Reference my thread on thickening a clam chowder. That's all the evidence one needs to know that food faces a heavy bias. We're not allowed to go outside the bounds of "authentic" cuisine.. and yet no one would necessarily agree on what is authentic.

I think part of the question has to be.. is it our responsibility to pass on the originating information when we create a derivative? If I call something a curry.. but I introduce my own ideas.. am I perhaps inappropriately changing this term "curry"? Is it mine to change?

#12 ·
I don't know if it is authentic but I use Chorizo when making paella.  I use the Iberian peninsula type rather than the Mexican type.   I could not remember whether chorizo was Portuguese or Spanish.  There does seem to be a lot of recipes using sausage.  I have had paella that used sausage that overpowered the seaafood.

#13 · (Edited)
I don't know if it is authentic but I use Chorizo when making paella. I use the Iberian peninsula type rather than the Mexican type. I could not remember whether chorizo was Portuguese or Spanish. There does seem to be a lot of recipes using sausage. I have had paella that used sausage that overpowered the seaafood.
"Spanish" chorizo only; never raw Mexican chorizo.

To me this is just another one of those "regional purity" discussions. I'm not Spanish and don't care too much about which version is more authentic but my understanding is that there are two basic types: seafood paella and meat-based (predominantly chicken and chorizo) paella. I don't mix the two even though some may. I know that some folks also used rabbit or snails or other stuff, but when I last discussed this with a Valencian friend he generally concurred with this impression. There's another fight, though: orange-wood fire cooked versus stovetop.

#16 ·
"Authentic" is a stupid word. Isn't paella a peasant dish?!? You need some really big shoes to just go out and challenge Jamie Oliver.

#19 · (Edited)
I have the suspicion that I may be the only Action Bronson fan on Chef Talk.

Yeah ... him and his boys can whip out burp and fart jokes at will, but at the end of the day.... Bronson and his crewe are surprisingly intelligent when it comes to their palates.

When they are not eating they are talking about eating.

Then at the end of that segment...ya gotcha words.

http://www.vice.com/read/tonight-on-viceland-fuck-thats-delicious-barcelona

mimi

Ya gotta watch it in order to understand how this entourage is spelling out the American Dream in food and rhyme.

There is the smoke but they are fairly quiet about how they get all of those calories in.

What we sacrifice for art lol.

m.

#20 · (Edited)
Actually talking about paella, I was thinking to make one. Does anyone have the best recipe ? I will really appreciate it. Thanks.
You can translate the recipes from wikipaella using Google. Here's the translation of the first recipe:

400 gr. La Bomba rice Faller (DO Valencia)

500 gr. Chicken (two pieces of 60 gr. Approx. Per person)

500 gr. Rabbit (two pieces of 60 gr. Approx. Per person)

150 gr. Duck (a piece of 35 gr. Approx. Per person), fried and cooked separately.

200 gr. "Tavella" clean - paella white beans (800g with scabbard.)

200 gr. It garrofó clean - flat white bean paella (1 Kg with scabbard.)

200 gr. "Ferradura" - flat green beans

1 large ripe tomato grated

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

Crocus flower

Colorant

Salt

300 gr. Pre-baked snails

120 ml. AOVE - extra virgin olive oil

Water (2 to 3 parts per each rice)

Duck broth (2 parts per each rice)

The recommended paella is 45 cm in diameter
  1. With the paella over low heat, pour oil and add a little salt.
  2. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken and rabbit.
  3. Add the vegetables clean, cut and threshed, to keep them well rehogadas.
  4. Fry the chopped garlic, paprika and grated tomato.
  5. Pour water and duck broth.
  6. Boil for at least 10 minutes, during this time add the chopped duck (one piece per person) and put the point of saffron, coloring and salt.
  7. Add the snails and well distributed rice.
  8. Cook the first 5 minutes over high heat.
  9. Then down to medium heat.
  10. And the last 4 or 5 minutes over very low heat (total of 18 to 20 minutes of cooking).
  11. Reduce heat to gradually turn fire embers and get the cherished "socarrat".
  12. Stand 5 minutes before serving

#22 ·
I have the suspicion that I may be the only Action Bronson fan on Chef Talk.

Yeah ... him and his boys can whip out burp and fart jokes at will, but at the end of the day.... Bronson and his crewe are surprisingly intelligent when it comes to their palates.

When they are not eating they are talking about eating.

Then at the end of that segment...ya gotcha words.

http://www.vice.com/read/tonight-on-viceland-fuck-thats-delicious-barcelona

mimi

Ya gotta watch it in order to understand how this entourage is spelling out the American Dream in food and rhyme.

There is the smoke but they are fairly quiet about how they get all of those calories in.

What we sacrifice for art lol.

m.
Love that guy!

#23 ·
I'm making paella tonight. In a sauté pan, mixing chicken, mussels and shrimps, using smoked pimenton, and... oh nooooo!!! I completely forgot to buy chorizo!! My wife is seriously pissed. Paella without chorizo? What was I thinking?

So I tried to sell her the argument that "real, authentic paella from Valencia never had chorizo", but I'm afraid she's not buying it. Hence the smoked paprika.

Hey, at least I used real saffron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.