Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Bread Builders discussion of baker's percentages, they accomodate the flour and water content of the starter in the quantities. Knowing the %hydration of the starter, the subtract the approprate amounts from the calculated quantities needed for a desired dough weight. This did not seem to happen in the Crust & Crumb sourdough I made. The bread was delicious. Is there a "norm" as to when you need to accomodate the starter when using a formula?

I think you have all contributed to the creation of a monster :)

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back to C&C and, oddly enough, you are right :). In the formula for San Francisco Sourdough he expresses the firm starter as 92.5%. He lists both a recipe and the formula. It is easy to see why, for scaling purposes, it would be easier to use formulas. MZZZZZZZZ. Silverton uses only recipes in Breads from La Brea. For my use that's fine, but for my education it is a little wanting. As for my instructor @Kump's, I don't think I am at risk for him asking me what the flour weight on the dough side of anything. This class puts the rec in recreational. The most critical, subjective, difficult thing about baking bread is when to put the proofed loaf in the oven. While we were having lunch, he moved the breads from the proofing box to the oven with nary a word! Hope the muffler didn't set you back too much.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have six loaves anywhere but I do have a firm starter (2 loaves worth) about to go in the fridge. Is it possible for the starter to be too active? The firm starter is supposed to be out at room temp for 6-8 hours. the room temp is 70, the firm starter has been sitting for nearly 2 1/2 hours and it is nearly doulbled in volume.

Re Mz. Silverton, I find her tone to me very condescending, even a little militaristic. "Do it this was, exactly this way, or you will fail!" I find C&C and The Bread builders to be far more approachable.

PS Mz. Sliverman's boy Ernest has blown his lid!

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found an intersting toy. It's a Baker's Percentage Calculator. Follow the top link on the left side of the page. Then scroll down for the link to the spreadsheet.

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.