Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are quite a few folks here with expertise in Greek and Mediterranean cooking, I was hoping someone would share a great recipe for baklava. It's my husband's favorite dessert and I thought I'd make him some for Valentine's Day. Many of the recipes I've tried call for dousing it in so much honey syrup that it winds up being a big, sticky, goopy mess. Also, I can't seem to get nice pretty neat slices. When I cut it, the top layers of fillo fly off. Ahrgggh! I'd like one where the honey, nuts and cinnamon are the major flavor factors but also has crisp and tender fillo that stays together.

Any tricks, tips, hints, recipes and jokes will be fondly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, all for directing me to the previous discussions on this subject. Now I know my problem-hot bak, hot syrup=sticky mess!

Momoreg, your recipe sounds wonderful. I'll try it for sure. I love the simplicity as well as your penchant for small pieces. Nothing is more ungraceful to eat than a huge piece of sticky, flaky, though yummy, baklava. Flakes on my face, honey on my shirt.

The recipe I really want is the one made by the Lebanese mother of an old boy friend of mine. Her pastries were the only reason I dated him as long as I did. Baklava-the best I've ever had! Her mamouls!!!! OMG-heaven in a cookie! I could go on and on about the meals she served. I never thought I'd be eating raw lamb (kibbe!) Just picture being the only one at a table of 16 who speaks no Lebanese. What else to do but eat and ask questions later?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you, everyone, for all your tips and recommendations. I baked a batch of baklava last night and it came out wonderfully! The tip about hot baklava and cold syrup really did the trick.
I used some Spanish rosemary honey in the syrup and blended a little into my walnut filling resulting in good adhesion of the layers of nuts and fillo. I also used orange flower water to add some depth with good results.
My only problem was that I made my diagonal cuts at too severe and angle resulting in pieces that were too long and pointy. As you can see, cosmetics are important to me.;)
My husband was very happy with his Valentine.
Thanks everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.