Chef Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you, everyone, for all your tips and recommendations. I baked a batch of baklava last night and it came out wonderfully! The tip about hot baklava and cold syrup really did the trick.
I used some Spanish rosemary honey in the syrup and blended a little into my walnut filling resulting in good adhesion of the layers of nuts and fillo. I also used orange flower water to add some depth with good results.
My only problem was that I made my diagonal cuts at too severe and angle resulting in pieces that were too long and pointy. As you can see, cosmetics are important to me.;)
My husband was very happy with his Valentine.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Oh walnuts...

Are so tasty but a pain you know where...
If you over bake them, they become very bitter, baklava turns to a nice deep black color... and the layers just collapse.
If you under bake walnut baklava it has a strong smell ( strong for my nose at least) The under baked walnut with the buttered phyllo is just bliah... or yakkkk in american English

Isa and other of course, have you ever tasted the famous Greek fruit preserves???
Well, you won't believe it but fresh ( when it's green during August) walnut preserve is the most tastefull thing... and of course the most difficult to prepare...

Shall I start a thread on preserves??

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I love the black walnut. Athenaeus is so right about the overcooking. This is why I add a little oil to the clarified butter. It has less tendency to fry or burn the nuts. The oil gives you a little room to play although if you do over bake it can keep cooking after you take em out of the oven.
:D :chef:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Thank you Athenaeus!

Walnut spread? It sounds so intriguing. Cna you please tell me more?

No that I could ever make it, couldn't find green walnuts here if my life depended on it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.