Chef Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

· Registered
4,613 Posts
One additional thought. I’m recalling my pulled pork failures and there were two causes. First was only cooking to 190 or so, and the other was relying on an unreliable thermometer. At 190 it’s choppable… which still makes a good bbq sandwich but it’s not pulled pork in all it’s glory. For a long time I used a pocket probe thermometer with an analog dial. It may have been accurate at one point but was notreading right, probably because I was twisting the probe to clean it. 200 should have pulled even though a higher temp would have been more ideal. Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? I’m really puzzled, and bothered, and sorry this didn’t work out perfectly for you.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I have a Thermapen instant read. I don't think it was the temperature. I think better if I had wrapped it in foil when it came out. And left it for 45 mins than break it down. First time nothing ever goes right for me.
I have the other half a shoulder I will try again soon. I see some internet directions they don't cover it when cooking. Then there are others that do. I tell you I had some real great juice that came out of the pork.😎

· Registered
273 Posts
One of the great "cheats" for BBQ I used to do was first season the pork buts with rub...smoke them on a cold fire on the grill....then wrap them 4 times in plastic wrap and put in a oven overnight (about 8 hrs) set on the lowest temp it could go.
I set these butts in pans in case the plastic leaked.

Cut the plastic quick when pulling them out because it will vacuum seal otherwise. And of course drain some fat and juices to be replaced with BBQ sauce or seasonings.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
One of the great "cheats" for BBQ I used to do was first season the pork buts with rub...smoke them on a cold fire on the grill....then wrap them 4 times in plastic wrap and put in a oven overnight (about 8 hrs) set on the lowest temp it could go.
I set these butts in pans in case the plastic leaked.

Cut the plastic quick when pulling them out because it will vacuum seal otherwise. And of course drain some fat and juices to be replaced with BBQ sauce or seasonings.
What is a cold fire? You wrapped it in plastic wrap like saran wrap? Would tin foil do a better job?

· Registered
5,777 Posts
So, @brianshaw this weekend I'm trying something I've never done. A big slice of pork leg (ham) cooked slow and low. It's 10lbs. I'm thinking cochonita pibil (Achiote wet rub). Or some kind of carnitas flavor (garlic, onion, squeezed orange, smoked paprika, cumin). It fits in my dutch oven (a bit tight, but it fits).

The big question is what temp and how long. I'm thinking 210F for 12 hours?

The other question:
I want to serve tomorrow night. Do I put it in the oven tonight 11pm 'til 11am tomorrow, shred and put in the garage (fridge temp, about 40F), then reheat at serving time? Or hold all day long at 145F (I heard that's the magic temp for holding food) and serve at 8pm?

Thanks!!

· Registered
4,613 Posts
I put mine in the oven early evening, about 7 PM, and check it when I wake up, which is generally early the following morning. Take the meat temp and assess how much longer. When done, pull/shred (or not) and hold warm until dinner. Normally this is finished well before noon. That way there are no timing surprises.

· Registered
5,777 Posts
I put mine in the oven early evening, about 7 PM, and check it when I wake up, which is generally early the following morning. Take the meat temp and assess how much longer. When done, pull/shred (or not) and hold warm until dinner. Normally this is finished well before noon. That way there are no timing surprises.
Ok that's the plan here as well except I'm a late evening - late the following morning kind of guy. 😆

It's in the oven now.

The beast just barely fits my 7 Quart dutch oven!

Before marinade
Food Recipe Ingredient Cookware and bakeware Tableware

With home made achiote paste marinade, and in the oven the cochonita pibil goes (with a lid):
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Condiment

· Registered
4,613 Posts
I can’t wait until tomorrow. Pibil is a favorite of mine. Only eaten it at restaurants. Also anxious to hear how the ham cooks. It’s be leaner than what I generally bbq. You’re lucky to get a fresh ham!

· Registered
5,777 Posts
I can’t wait until tomorrow. Pibil is a favorite of mine. Only eaten it at restaurants. Also anxious to hear how the ham cooks. It’s be leaner than what I generally bbq. You’re lucky to get a fresh ham!
Couldn't believe it when I saw it in the store. What they had was half a leg, totaling at about 20 lbs, so I asked them to cut the upper half of that half for me. So at 10 lbs that's only a quarter of a leg!!

I'm lucky I had some anatto seeds left from my last trip to L.A. back before COVID, so early 2020. I'm going to come back this summer and hit Superior Grocers and 99 Ranch Market to get a ton of exotic supplies to take back home. :)

· Registered
273 Posts
What is a cold fire? You wrapped it in plastic wrap like saran wrap? Would tin foil do a better job?
A very small fire of briquettes....like three or four and some soaked wood for smoke. You really don't need to cook this at this point as it's solely for the smoke. The oven baking at 200⁰-225⁰ for 8 hours is sufficient to cook it.

Yes to the saran wrap. Tin foil is made of aluminum which will react with acids and spices and dissolve.
The temperature is low enough that the plastic won't melt as it's in contact with the pork.

· Registered
12 Posts
That is what I did foil. My result was not so good. Meat was not tender did not shred easy. Should I have elevated the meat, so it was out of the fluid? It did give off a fair amount of juice.
if it was in its on liquid, it would just be braising… if the meat was not easily shredded my first thought was not long enough to break down the collagen. I do brisket a lot in the oven. I bake it uncovered and then wrap in foil or paper. I actually like the paper better. Many of these meats stall when the internal temp gets to 165 and wrapping them helps get past that phase. Brisket and Chuck should have about the same ending temp for it to shred or fall apart… someplace right around 200 degrees F. The juices are Great to poor back over after shredded.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts