Chef Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
A very small fire of briquettes....like three or four and some soaked wood for smoke. You really don't need to cook this at this point as it's solely for the smoke. The oven baking at 200⁰-225⁰ for 8 hours is sufficient to cook it.

Yes to the saran wrap. Tin foil is made of aluminum which will react with acids and spices and dissolve.
The temperature is low enough that the plastic won't melt as it's in contact with the pork.
I did not know that was safe. I will try it.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
if it was in its on liquid, it would just be braising… if the meat was not easily shredded my first thought was not long enough to break down the collagen. I do brisket a lot in the oven. I bake it uncovered and then wrap in foil or paper. I actually like the paper better. Many of these meats stall when the internal temp gets to 165 and wrapping them helps get past that phase. Brisket and Chuck should have about the same ending temp for it to shred or fall apart… someplace right around 200 degrees F. The juices are Great to poor back over after shredded.
You mean parchment paper? How do you do it once?

· Registered
4,613 Posts
As Kelvin so accurately states, the oven method is indeed braising. The results are similar enough to a true barbecue/smoking technique but the results are similar enough. Same with oven carnitas… and pibil.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

I was playing with my outdoor barbecue this morning. It does have a box for wood chips. I could adjust it to cook at 250 F and keep the pork but on the grate where there is no direct flame. And smoke it at the same time. I see some guys doing this right on the grate. That is all well and fine, but I have a concern all the juice that meat lets out is lost. So here is my plan to set the barbecue at 250 F add some soaked Apple wood chips in the box, take a four lb but rub and let it sit overnight in a ziplock back. Put into a disposable foil pan on top of a layer of sliced onions. Let it cook slowly check every 35 mins spray with apple cider check temperature rotate pan add more wood chips. Until it reaches 160 F remove from pan rap in foil twice tight back in right on of grates. When it reaches 200 F pull it out put on a sheet pan and leave in my Kitchen for an hour wrapped at room temp. Then un wrap and shred it take the fluid retained in the pan skim all fat take out onion. Check for taste if necessary emulsion blend some of the onion add it in possible strain it if it needs it. Combine with pork and serve btw how would I reheat this ?

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Sounds good. A bit more elaborate than I do. Remember that opening the cooker every half hour is a lot of heat loss and might extend your cooking time. Should be delectable!

The bulk of the smoke flavor adheres to the pork in the early stages of cooking. So there often is less value achieved from adding more wood after the first hour or so. It can’t hurt, though, especially when using a light smoke such as apple.

Reheat in moderate oven, covered, or microwave.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
So it sounds like a good idea? I see a lot of folks put them right on the grill. I just think all of that juice and taste Is going to be lost in the absence of a pan. Do you think that is a good idea or am I not thinking straight?

61 - 71 of 71 Posts