Chef Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha mimi, I've heard that before too but have never tried it.

And thanks chefwriter - whenever I use a salad spinner, it never gets it dry enough (even if I lay it out with a paper towel for a few hours). How do restaurants get their lettuce so dry? And how do food service provides provided "pre-washed" lettuce that is so dry? I've always wondered.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I believe it was Julia Child who used a pillowcase. Seemed pretty effective.

When using a salad spinner, spin once, remove lettuce, drain water from container. Spin lettuce a second time. Don't stuff lots of lettuce in the dryer. Better to do multiple batches than try and spin it all at once. 

Put the spun lettuce in a colander or other container with good air circulation so the bottom isn't sitting in what little water remains. 

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I believe it was Julia Child who used a pillowcase. Seemed pretty effective.

When using a salad spinner, spin once, remove lettuce, drain water from container. Spin lettuce a second time. Don't stuff lots of lettuce in the dryer. Better to do multiple batches than try and spin it all at once.

Put the spun lettuce in a colander or other container with good air circulation so the bottom isn't sitting in what little water remains.
Are we talking "at home" here or in a restaurant setting?

Commercial salad spinners can have motors that use centrifugal force to get the water out.

Others are hand spun. I agree with the paper towel idea and multiple spins.

Great post chefwriter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't kill the messenger, lol, but as basic SOP, haven't seen a lot of salad green "washing" being done.  Usually, it's straight out of the bag, cut (if romaine, iceburg, etc) and onto the plate.  I'm sure it's a personal preference on who's ordering and what particular product is being used.  I have, from time-to-time seen herbs that required washing, or sayyyy some Squash/Zucchini or grape tomatoes that required a rinse here or there.....Just sayin...

Chef Tony P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.