Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Banned
8,487 Posts
It's confusing because different people use the same words to say different things. Some people use "double bevel" to mean that the knife is sharpened on both sides -- which is also called a "V" edge. While others, including me, use the term to mean that each side of the knife has two different angles. For instance, a 15* cutting (primary) bevel sharpened over a 10* thinning (secondary) bevel.

Here's a picture of some edge geometries which are labled with the terms as I use them:

It's worth reiterating that although this picture illustrates the most common use of "double bevel," it's not the only right way. You just have to make sure you nail down the terms every time you have a discussion.

I know. Annoying.

To make things even more confusing -- especially for someone who isn't a native English speaker -- sometimes the terms primary and secondary are used opposite to the way which I just described.

Since you're more or less just embarking on freehand sharpening, you probably don't want to sharpen a double bevel. It's actually pretty simple to lay in what's called a "micro bevel;" in general, double bevels make for a very nice, durable edge; but at this stage of the game it's a complication you don't need. Once you can draw a burr and deburr, we'll talk more about it if you like.

BDL

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.