Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading a lot about sharpening on this forum, watched the video's of chefsknivestogo etc etc.

But I'm now also confused.....

I'm about to buy a carbon steel knife with a double bevel 70/30.

I've also seen a couple of drawings (posted by BDL amongst others) of a double bevel and I wonder if these are actually the same things.

I'm not sure if I am describing this right, but the double bevel according to the pictures looks like the knife has 2 even angles.

The 70/30 double bevel sounds more like the edge of the knife is asymetrically sharpened (like the cutting part of the knife is slightly off-set to one side.

Sorry if this sounds clumsy, I'm lacking the vocabulary to describe it properly...

With the 70/30 bevel, what are the angles to sharpen at for a Japanese carbon knife (the Fujiwara KFH)

15 degree on one side and 10 on the other side or so?

Or am I totally wrong here?

I'm only getting the knife in January (haven't ordered it yet) and am busy trying to get my sharpening up to scratch before I get it on an old stone I found (don't know the grit).

First trying with some small knives to get the idea right and will then go on to an old Henckels carbon (looks like a meat knife or a petty). These should all be around 20 degree angles each side if I'm not mistaken, then later on to my globals (@15 degrees?)

· Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since pictures say so much more than words.....

Can someone tell me where to find a picture of a this 70/30 double bevel of the Fujiwara?

To me it looks like it is a V-edge (if I go by the drawing above) of which both sides are sharpened at a different angle. Now what would those angles be?

I'm just a very curious person!!!!

Thanks Chris for explaining how to find the right angle! That will definitely work in practise.

I always work better if I know the theory behind things as well. It sort of makes me understand what I'm doing instead of just doing it (look at it as a character flaw /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

· Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, think I'm beginning to understand it.....

The pictures are especially helpful!!!

As far as angles are concerned,

What I'm doing at the moment is making the angle I'm intending to use out of cardboard so I can easily check it.

Definitely need to work on the method Phaedrus describes and learn to feel the right angle.

This hasn't been possible with the knife I've just been working on as it had no angles and no sharpness left to deal with. Used a 20 degree angle on an arbitrary sharpening stone (doesn't have a brand name or grit on it) and managed to get it sharp.

But not sharp enough yet!

We'll keep on trying......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.