Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make round loaves of bread: 25% whole wheat and 75% KA Bread Flour. After the initial rise I chafed the loaf into a simple round and allowed to rise prior to putting into the oven. The result: a light and airy loaf.

I made another loaf using the same type and amounts of ingredients. The only difference is that I added a shaping step. After chafing I shaped the loaf into a round by turning it in my hands like a steering wheel and rolling the sides underneath. Upon completion of shaping I pinched the "key". After allowing to rise I baked it. The result: a loaf that felt denser than the one that had been chafed only.

It seems that one might do without the "shaping" to achieve a light, round loaf.

Comments, anyone?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

[ May 23, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, MBrown. I used 1/4 cup of potato flour in both mixtures. I think, though, the shaping worked and "tightened" the gluten around the crust. The texture of the base of the "shaped" loaf was a little tough. That of the chafed loaf was tender.

My next step is to move the baking stone from the bottom to the middle shelf of my electric oven . Perhaps the slight increase in heat may crispy the crust more and reduce any differences in texture.

I gotta' say that breadmaking is a never-ending challenge.

Onward and upward... :D :D :D

[ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CHAFING described.

After the dough has been allowed to rise and is punched down, it's "poured" onto the work surface. The baker takes both hands and presses both sides of the dough to form a ball . While turning the dough round and round with his/her hands, the baker will press slightly downward on the sides of the dough ball. The dough ball is allowed to rest about 5 - 10 minutes before final shaping.

I think that the chafing step allows the gluten to relax prior to final shaping.

Chafing is described in the book, ULTIMATE BREAD by Treuille and Ferrigno. ;)

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.