Chef Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some interest in Moroccan food thanks to Adams thread. I did some reading today about the cuisine of Morocco.

I wanted to share with you a couple things of interest.
First I found what the ten most important spices are in Moroccan food.
They are
Cinnamon, Cumin, Saffron, Turmeric, Ginger, Black pepper, cayenne, paprika, aniseed and sesame seeds. These are most often found in the dishes of morocco. Then there is a secondary list of nine spices.
They are, Allspice, caraway, cloves, coriander seeds, gum arabic, fenugreek, licorice, honey dates and orris root.

What I found really interesting in is the blending of spices used in "Ras el hanout" (Top of shelf) it is used in game dishes, lamb and even in a hashish candy called (Majoun)

This is what was analized to be in some bought back from Morocco.
Allspice, ashberries, belladonna leaves,black cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cantharides, cardamom pods,wild cardamom pods,cayenne, cassia cinnamon, ceylon cinnamom, cloves, coriander seed, cubebe pepper, earth almonds, galingale, ginger, gouza el asnab,Grains of paridise, long pepper, lavendar, monks pepper, mace, nutmeg, orrisroot, turmeric. WOW!!! Thats a ton of spices in one blend. There are some spices that I need to look up so I can comment on them.

This is one I am going to try this weekend
4 whole nutmegs
10 rose buds
12 cinnamom sticks
12 blades of mace
1 teaspoon aniseed
8 pieces of turmeric
2 small pieces of orrisroot
2 dried cayennes
1/2 teaspoon lavendar
1 tablespoon white pepper corns
2 pieces galingale
2 tablespoons whole ginger root
6 cloves
24 all spice berries
20 green caramom pods
4 wild black cardomom pods.

It will go into my blender (I hope it doesn't explode)
I then hope to make a lamb tajin.
I'll let you know how it turns out
cc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have everything in my pantry, But I have some. I am going to my local health food store and penzlys to pick up the rest. In regards to the nutmeg and some other spices, They will yield to my mallet to be alitte more blender friendly :)

The flavors are intence, but you use this with respect.
BTW Shroom, I really enjoyed the "Nortan Vino" Much thanks
cc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be sure to study very hard to prepare as many wonderful dishes using theses herbs and spices.

I have put on my "Tajine Thinking cap" To create dishes that warm and enchant. I look forward to posting to your thread.
cc (Prez)

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Adam,
Ras el Hanout uses perfect balance to acheive it's goal.
The blending of these herbs and spices has been perfected over hundreds of years. The lavendar will add a light perfume, as the turmaric will give sweet earth and color. It may sound a little odd I know. I will be sure to let you know my findings
sincerly
cc

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
This looks like a very large batch....is it for one dish....industrial size?I'd love to see you tweeking it....so many flavors to balance out.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is another Ras El Hanout recipe:

1)Qaqulla (cardamome)
2)Bsibsa (macis)
3)Gouzt Ettib (nutmeg)
4)Querkoub (curcuma)
5)Skinjbir (ginger)
6)Ibzar (black pepper)
7)Skinjbir bied (white ginger)
8)Zbil Ellaidoure (belladonne)

all that is OK, but:

9)Debbant el Hend (CANTHARIDE:bounce: :bounce:)

and more:

10)Gouza Sahraouia (maniguette :confused:)
11)Dar Felfell (poivre long :confused:)
12)Lissan Ettir (fruit de Frene :confused: :confused:)
13)Nouiouara :confused: :confused: :confused:)

Good luck...and handle with care!

Pongi

·
Registered
274 Posts
Pongi,
isn't belladone a homeopathic remedy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.