Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
4,468 Posts
Great job mom for teaching your son to be open to new foods.
When I pick the namesake up for a visit we stop for snax.
String cheese and real carrots that you have to peel (she says the "baby" ones have no flavor) as well as the sharp cheddar she favors for cheese straws and hummus and yogurt (not the full of sugar artificial flavored crap with cartoon characters on the labels) but plain Greek with fruit to stir in.
...and gummy bears....cannot forget the gummy bears lol....

mimi

· Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My father in law always crumbled cornbread into a glass of buttermilk and ate it with a spoon.
Sounds like something someone from an older generation would do. My Grandfather would pasteurize the goat milk he got from his goat daily, put it in a cup with "paximadi" (dried bread) and eat it for breakfast. My greatuncle lived in France for a long time and for breakfast he would crack 2 egg yolks in a cup and beat them with a spoonful of sugar. That was his daily breakfast. @french fries have you heard of this? Always meant to ask. This could be the start of a great thread, things our elders ate.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a lot of buttermilk left over after making corn bread. What should I do with it besides make pancakes and fried chicken?
You could make cream cheese...!!! I used to make this all the time (I think the recipe I had was fairly similar to this one).

https://www.marthastewart.com/334318/buttermilk-fresh-cheese

I used to let the curds drip in the cheesecloth until they were very dry (almost crumbly) and then whip it in the food processor with salt (I didn't put the salt in the milk/buttermilk mixture during heating). Adding maple syrup and walnuts is also delicious, as is scallion, red onion and some fresh bell pepper. Whatever kind of cream cheese you'd like to make would be possible!

· Registered
794 Posts
Buttermilk banana bread. Lemon buttermilk bread. Buy cream and make creme fraiche.
But in all seriousness, biscuits.
Did I mention biscuits?

I also vote for the buttermilk panna cotta.

· Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could make cream cheese...!!! I used to make this all the time (I think the recipe I had was fairly similar to this one).

https://www.marthastewart.com/334318/buttermilk-fresh-cheese

I used to let the curds drip in the cheesecloth until they were very dry (almost crumbly) and then whip it in the food processor with salt (I didn't put the salt in the milk/buttermilk mixture during heating). Adding maple syrup and walnuts is also delicious, as is scallion, red onion and some fresh bell pepper. Whatever kind of cream cheese you'd like to make would be possible!
Wow I can't see myself making this but this is amazing!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.